How much do you read

Exa Inova

I dont know if this thread already exist somewhere but what the heck.

Sometimes I scroll through the recommendation threads and some 'special topic' thread and I see all those titles and think damn, I need to read that.

But its been a good week if I manage to read 10 pages a day on average. I cant finish Erikson, GRRM, Pratchett and who ever writes multi volume novels unless I hope to become 127. Less alone read stand alones or something new. Hell, I dont even get to read the morning paper so how on earth will I ever finish a novel?

How do you guys do it? How much do you read?

Depends upon my available time. When I'm not busy grading/writing lesson plans, I generally read 1-2 books a day over 2-3 hours. Lately, however, I've haven't had much time at all for reading, so I'll probably end up reading only 10 books or so this month. But I read at an abnormally fast pace, so I wouldn't take my answer as being any sort of a barometer for what will follow :P

I used to read books in 1-2 days when I was a student. Since I got a job and a house then, like you Exa Inova, I read disgracefully slowly (I do read a lot for work and self-development, but that's non-fiction and I'm not counting it). I usually read for 10-30 mins before I go to bed, but that's only on the days I'm not totally exhausted. I'm lucky if I read a chapter a day, a book a month. :cry: It's only when I go on holiday that I can read several books in a week like I used to do in the old days.

I despair too of reading everything I want to, and my bought-to-read pile is huge and getting larger (I still can't resist the temptation to buy books). It amazes me when people reread books (but that's partly because I'm not a rereader by nature), because for me every reread book means one more new book I will probably never have time to read.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1494821' date='Aug 26 2008, 11.46']Depends upon my available time. When I'm not busy grading/writing lesson plans, I generally read 1-2 books a day over 2-3 hours. Lately, however, I've haven't had much time at all for reading, so I'll probably end up reading only 10 books or so this month. But I read at an abnormally fast pace, so I wouldn't take my answer as being any sort of a barometer for what will follow :P[/quote]
Especially you, my friend, are one of the freaks who apparently read a lot.
Question: Do you actually read everything on a page or do you only read the essentials. For example, I started reading L.E. Modesitt and Im starting to get bored with all the ins and outs of woodwork but still I soldier on and read everything, afraid that I might miss some gem or piece of information.

[quote]It amazes me when people reread books (but that's partly because I'm not a rereader by nature), because for me every reread book means one more new book I will probably never have time to read.[/quote]
I hear ya.

Some weeks I read three books and other weeks I don't even finish one. I usually get through around 50 books each year on average.

I read on the train to work (that's about an hour per day) and maybe 15 minutes in bed at night. That's the bare minimum. While school is out I get to read on evenings and weekends too. Once my academic workload kicks in again I might have to give up reading (for pleasure) for weeks at a time. :cry:

I totally agree with Sophie wrt rereading - there are TOO MANY books I need to read to waste time reading the same ones over and over. That is not to say I never reread. Maybe one or two of the 50-ish books I read each year are rereads. But a book needs to be [b]seriously outstanding [/b]for me to even consider reading it more than once.

I don't read as much as I used to do before I joined this board and that's the sad truth. It used to be I'd finish a book in a day or two, tops. Now, I read maybe 2-3 books a week, depending on what else I have going on. I read in the train or waiting in line at the bank or the post office, I read during meals at times, I read a lot before going to bed (and generally fall asleep reading). I normally read more while on vacation too (and with my job, that's about three months every year) but somehow we ended up being so busy with other things this summer that neither my husband or I had as much time for reading as we wanted.

I love rereading some books. My new books pile is huge but there have been times, even recently, when I felt the need to reread an old favorite. I don't see it as a waste of time. I can't resist buying new books. I'll make time to read them all, and then some.

I have about 3 and a half hours per day of commuting, plus an hour lunch break, so I get plenty of time for reading. I don't usually read at home, unless a) it's a new book that I just can't put down, or B) it's a really heavy book that I've nearly finished, and would otherwise have to carry it to work along with the next one on the stack and thus make my bag harder to lift. I get through maybe 3 or 4 books a week, depending on length & complexity.

I reread a lot; it's pretty much my default. If a book's worth keeping, it will usually get reread at least once.

I spend three and a half hours a day commuting to and from work, so that's mostly my reading time. I'm another stupidly fast reader, and can get through a novel a day fairly easily.

Which isn't really all that good. I'm continually running out of things to read, and am currently trying to teach myself to read more slowly, because I'm sick of rereading not-great novels, and don't have the money to keep buying new ones.

It depends on my schedule and how many other things are vying for my attention. I read about 500 pages yesterday, which used to be about the norm for me, but then I got busier. I still do that if a book grabs me, though, which generally gets me through such a book in a day or two. Some other days I read nothing, though.

I find that I can maintain my old reading habits by prioritizing reading. If you're concerned about your progress through books, make a conscious effort to do that instead of Internet shit, or whatever else fills your day.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1494894' date='Aug 26 2008, 12.49']I find that I can maintain my old reading habits by prioritizing reading. If you're concerned about your progress through books, make a conscious effort to do that instead of Internet shit, or whatever else fills your day.[/quote]

You're right there. :blush: If I cut out internet use I'd be able to read a lot more, but I'd miss interacting with people.:unsure:

[quote name='MinDonner' post='1494876' date='Aug 26 2008, 07.35']I have about 3 and a half hours per day of commuting, plus an hour lunch break, so I get plenty of time for reading. I don't usually read at home, unless a) it's a new book that I just can't put down, or B) it's a really heavy book that I've nearly finished, and would otherwise have to carry it to work along with the next one on the stack and thus make my bag harder to lift. I get through maybe 3 or 4 books a week, depending on length & complexity.

I reread a lot; it's pretty much my default. If a book's worth keeping, it will usually get reread at least once.[/quote]

I also have a lengthy commute to work (and back) each day. On average, I'm on the bus for 2.5-3 hours total. I will occasionally read at work or at home if the book is good or I am nearing completion but I'd say a total of 13-15 hours per week, max. I am a slow reader; I spent 25-30 hours reading Last Argument of Kings. The entire First Law Trilogy probably took me 1.5 months. A re-read of the ASOIAF books (4) will take me 2 months.... you get the idea.

I realize I am a slow reader, but those claiming 1-2 books in a span of a few hours, I'd be interested in seeing how your comprehension would score if tested.

[quote name='Silverstar' post='1494883' date='Aug 26 2008, 12.42']Which isn't really all that good. I'm continually running out of things to read, and am currently trying to teach myself to read more slowly, because I'm sick of rereading not-great novels, and don't have the money to keep buying new ones.[/quote]Even though I have 60+ unread books of my own in my study I still go to the library every couple of weeks to see if they have any books I'd like to read (I hardly ever come away empty-handed). I also buy REALLY cheap second hand books from charity shops, book stalls, or online, e.g. Amazon Marketplace.

It seems to me that there are plenty of ways to get hold of 'new' books to read without actually buying them from a bookshop.

I also like to read on the bus to work and from work(together about one hour).
However as I work shift most of the time only one of the two bus rides is in daylight and I don't like to bother the other people with light.
At home it's on and off, sometimes I don't read a book at home for a week or more, sometimes I read all the time I don't spend at work.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1494821' date='Aug 26 2008, 11.46']Depends upon my available time. When I'm not busy grading/writing lesson plans, [b]I generally read 1-2 books a day over 2-3 hours.[/b] Lately, however, I've haven't had much time at all for reading, so I'll probably end up reading only 10 books or so this month. But I read at an abnormally fast pace, so I wouldn't take my answer as being any sort of a barometer for what will follow :P[/quote]
:stunned:

[quote name='Isis' post='1494917' date='Aug 26 2008, 13.11']Even though I have 60+ unread books of my own in my study I still go to the library every couple of weeks to see if they have any books I'd like to read (I hardly ever come away empty-handed). I also buy REALLY cheap second hand books from charity shops, book stalls, or online, e.g. Amazon Marketplace.

It seems to me that there are plenty of ways to get hold of 'new' books to read without actually buying them from a bookshop.[/quote]

Amazon Marketplace is something I need to do more of.

The library ... well, I don't have time to go to my local library, so I go to the one near to where I work, but it tends to be mostly stocked with the kind of romantic sagas read by my mother, as opposed to the sort of thing I like. I've read my way through most of the books I'm interested in.

I think I'll start stealing books from friends and family. That'll work ;)

I go in phases. Sometimes I'll be really into reading, and will spend 5-8 hours a day on it (I have a lot of free time at work). I'm a slow reader though; on a really good day I'll be able to put in 150 pages. So I would average around a book a week. More or less, depending on the length of course. Really long books like Martin or Erikson, and complex books like Bakker or Parker, will take me up to 2 weeks. A "normal sized" book goes for about 4 days.

Right now I'm in a non-reading phase, so I've gotten through maybe 40 pages in the last week.

Depending on language and content, I read between 60 and 100 pages per hour. If I don't have anything else to do, I'll just curl up with a book all day long.

I only reread if my to read pile runs out. And I need more space for my books. Unless I start building furniture with them.

[quote name='Alytha' post='1494964' date='Aug 26 2008, 08.46']Depending on language and content, I read between 60 and 100 pages per hour. If I don't have anything else to do, I'll just curl up with a book all day long.

I only reread if my to read pile runs out. And I need more space for my books. Unless I start building furniture with them.[/quote]

100 pages per hour! Are we talking about a mass market p/b? Even still... geesh.

I don't think 100 pages/hour is extreme. I can easily get 60+ in an hour and I generally have the TV on while doing it.

Though I've had the summer off I haven't read nearly as much as I do during the school year. I average at least a book/week though if one catches my fancy I'll finish it in a couple of days. Since I stopped work in July I think I've only read 3 or 4 books. Sad.

Because we picked up 40-some books on our recent trip to the States I have some major catching up to do...

Archived