Daniel Abraham

Tycho

I listened to DA's short story The Cambist and Lord Iron last night, and it was wonderful. I would recommend it to everybody here. :thumbsup:

You can listen to it here or read it here. It was nominated for the Hugo last year, and was in three different year's best compilations (according to the podcast).

I listened to DA's short story The Cambist and Lord Iron last night, and it was wonderful. I would recommend it to everybody here. :thumbsup:

You can listen to it here or read it here. It was nominated for the Hugo last year, and was in three different year's best compilations (according to the podcast).

I read it last year. It was a nice story. I can see why it was nominated.

• 1 month later...

Did a quick reread of An Autumn War in preparation for July 21st and found something that had originally confused me.

SPOILER: An Autumn War
What was the deal with Ajutani and Riaan? With my initial read of the book, I had expected to be given some insight into what was going on between them, but by book's end I had forgotten about it all. Was it to be assumed they were brothers? Knowing the truth wasn't essential to the story, but with the occasional shifts in POV to Ajutani, I had expected their conversations to eventually be revealed in some form

• 2 weeks later...
My copy of The Price of Spring is in the mail :D :D

And it will be the next book I read!

I traveled to 6 different bookstores over the span of about 50 miles and not one of them had Spring in stock. 4 different chains, and not one of them had the book. Worse, only 2 of them carried ANY of the books. Both times, there was 1 copy of Shadow in Summer in PB. I refrained from ordering online because I was hoping to read Spring the day it was released, but alas, looks like I've gotta fill out an order now.

Damn Daniel, you need to start whoring yourself out some, you deserve more shelf space than you're getting.

none of the bookstores here in Nashville have it either, at least according to their online system (Borders, B&N). They update at midnight, and since the books came out today, I hope at least one of the local stores will show as having it. And while there are ebook version of the first 3, I don't see one for The Price of Spring yet.

I'm starting A Betrayal in Winter now.

none of the bookstores here in Nashville have it either, at least according to their online system (Borders, B&N). They update at midnight, and since the books came out today, I hope at least one of the local stores will show as having it. And while there are ebook version of the first 3, I don't see one for The Price of Spring yet.

Can't speak for the Nashville, but if you're still enjoying the books by the time you're done with Winter, you may just want to go ahead and order the last two online and save yourself some trouble.

Only reason I ever managed to start the series was because an online retailer had a leftover hardcover of Summer for like 6 bucks. Otherwise, I'd never have found the series. In most book stores I visit, you might find Abercrombie and Douglas Adams, but aside from them, the "A's" belong to Mario Acevedo, author of such novels as "The Nymphos of Rocky Flats".

What's the world coming to when I ignore nymphos in favor of Spring?

Try Joseph-Beths. I'm pretty sure Nashville has one. I have never seen Abraham sold at BN or Borders but have seen his books in Joe-B's in both Cincinnati and Lexington stores.

I couldn't find the book today either. I went around to all the local bookstores trying to find it and apparently nobody ordered it. Or at least they didn't have any on the shelves. Not to mention I got half-soaked from the pouring rain. :tantrum: There's one more place farther away that I can check tomorrow.

I'm gonna be really fucking pissed if we can't scare up a copy of this book tomorrow. :mad:

You and me both!

I traveled to 6 different bookstores over the span of about 50 miles and not one of them had Spring in stock. 4 different chains, and not one of them had the book. Worse, only 2 of them carried ANY of the books. Both times, there was 1 copy of Shadow in Summer in PB. I refrained from ordering online because I was hoping to read Spring the day it was released, but alas, looks like I've gotta fill out an order now.

Damn Daniel, you need to start whoring yourself out some, you deserve more shelf space than you're getting.

wow, not only did my local Barnes and Borders not have it, they didn't even know who Daniel Abraham was or have his other books. I got the Barnes to order some copies though, so maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to get it.

Our local B&N fails. :(

Suppose I'll have to check one of the other countless bookstores in the city tomorrow.

I'm gonna be really fucking pissed if we can't scare up a copy of this book tomorrow. :mad:

I couldn't find the book today either. I went around to all the local bookstores trying to find it and apparently nobody ordered it. Or at least they didn't have any on the shelves. Not to mention I got half-soaked from the pouring rain. :tantrum: There's one more place farther away that I can check tomorrow.

You and me both!

And that's why I ordered it from amazon. Of course I buy 99% of my books online, so of course this would not be an exception. Good luck finding it tomorrow to everybody that's still searching :grouphug:

I'm sure DA can answer this when he pops up againDoes anybody remember if A Shadow in Summer had a large in store presence when it was first released? I'm sure tPoS not having a big release is because of the other books not moving as many copies as expected, as mentioned in this post:

Well, Now It Can Be Told.

Bad news first: The new project didn't get picked up by Tor. That's a bummer, because I really liked working with those guys, and I'll miss them. But the economy's in the crapper, and apparently they're being very bottom-line conscious, and the Long Price books -- despite great reviews and all -- didn't move as many copies as they had hoped. I'm not happy about it, but I respect that it's business.

(it took forever to find that post, and I think I looked through this thread three times before I moved on to others)

Isn't putting the books in brick and mortar bookstores still the best way to move books? That really pisses me off that it's not readily available in bookstores.

Tor has put out a fantastic series with these books, but they obviously failed in marketing this series and I hope the move to Orbit helps increase DA's exposure in the non-messageboard-world.

It makes me really sad it's going to be Jan before this is available in the UK..

I bet The Book Depository have it. They had Autumn War when it was out in America. That was when I started to realise how awesome they are.

But it makes me even sadder Abraham's stuff is not being marketed right. He's one of the best, he deserves better.

Yeah.

Archived