Daniel Abraham

Tycho

Am I just a battle-whore?? (Feel free to say yes!)

Yes! (Well, between your offer and the 5 beers I've recently ingested, those were three very easy letters to type.)

Honestly, if what you listed are indeed your two prerequisites for fantasy, then The Long Price Quartet is probably not for you. Fucking and fighting are not front and center in these books (though they do play a part), while fully fleshed-out characters (you know, like real people) and the intricate interplay of the wants and needs of multiple parties (a.k.a. politics) take precedence.

I'm not sure I would say everyone in these books is GOOD. Yes, they have consciences, but they do act contrary to consciences from time to time. The characters realize that there are times when knowing what is right and what must be done are two different things, as many humans do at some point.

Anyway, there is plenty of doom and gloom to go around, especially in the third book. And I would say that if you are feeling exhausted by reading these stories, then that may be a reflection of how exhausting dealing with real people can be.

I'm not sure I would say everyone in these books is GOOD.

Well, as of the second book - Otah does the right thing. Maati does the right thing. Cehmai does the right thing. Idaan may be messed up, but has serious regret.

Everybody has a conscience!

Ugh.

I want a Glotka. Seriously!

I think this series isn't my bag. But I'm going to continue as I said.

Maybe I'll change my mind completely. I still have two books to go after all.

I'm also not that much of a political animal, so don't enjoy reading about politics.

I'll come back to this thread after Book 4 and take a look at my prior opinion and see if it's changed.

Oh, and I'll see your 5 beers and raise you six ciders. Berry flavour - damn, that's barely like drinking at all!

Trio,

Long Price Quartet might not be your cup of tea. Just the same, keep reading. Most folk who weren't impressed with the first compendium (aka books 1 and 2) liked books 3 and 4 much more. You'll get your war and bloodshed, along with some sex.

I can understand trio's points. It definitely isn't one of the "gritty" fantasy series out there. By the same measure it's not light-hearted either. I'm trying to think of a phrase that doesn't sound negative to describe it but the best i can think of is "flawed" - in terms of the characters, not the quality of the series. It's one of the few series where I "know" what characters in a room with the POV are thinking, the characterisation is that good.

And like others have said, you'll get a lot more violence/action in book 3 although everyone still has a conscience, especially the "bad guy". Speaking of which I've just finished book 3. Nice ending (I think trio will like it if he enjoys bittersweet endings). Sinja is such a great character.

I read half of the second volume yesterday.

Yes not much sex and violence so far - but I love the series all the same.

Mr. Abraham is now on my "read every damn book" list! Seriously, I don't know if it is a series for the common fantasy reader but it is one for me.

I read that some people think that his prose is strange. Why? I can't see anything wrong or odd, or maybe it's just because I am not a Native-English speaker?

Edit: Am I the only one who hates Maati's ex? :tantrum:

I read half of the second volume yesterday.

Mr. Abraham is now on my "read every damn book" list! Seriously, I don't know if it is a series for the common fantasy reader but it is one for me.

We must reading it at the same time! I can see what you mean about Maati's ex. She was more annoying when she was young and she does have a few bad traits in book 3 but at least she admits to a lot these faults, making her a bit more sympathetic. With regards to the end of book 3

If this is ever made into a film, they will have to direct the gelding very carefully, otherwise it will look like some big Monty Python sketch, or that scene where the old guy in Simpsons got a football in his crotch

I read that some people think that his prose is strange. Why? I can't see anything wrong or odd, or maybe it's just because I am not a Native-English speaker?

That's odd. English is my first language and I have to say I didn't notice anything either. Perhaps it's a little formal, but nothing that really struck me as strange. :dunno:

Unlike Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, where the sentences were downright confusing at times. She'd say "He said...." but you didn't know which character she was referring to, and had to re-read a couple of times to figure it out.

I didn't really care for her in the first two books, but she sneaked up on me in The Autumn War, and suddenly, I really liked her. The only character I really disliked until book 2 was Idaan, but the history repeated itself, and I adored her deadpan humour in the last book.

Daniel Abraham is a really evil manipulator for making me care so much about his characters. Spoiler for the Price of Spring:

Poor, poor Sinja. His death made me cry, even though it happened off screen. :cry: I liked him so much after The Autumn War.

I LOOOOOVED Abercrombie - there was tons of precarious violent situations. And twisted characters. But everyone in Abrahams is just so GOOD! Everyone has a conscience!

Same. For me it wasn't that there was no sex and violence - though there is violence aplenty in the third book - its just that all the main characters all engage in too much naval gazing and hesitation for my taste, its an ugly revelation but i realised i need me at least a little badass in all my books. And General Gice and Vanjit certainly deliver the badass in the third book and fourth book.

Personally i think the series gets better with each book and the last book would have been the best i read all year if Otah's and Maati's reunion wasn't so cheesy. I had to put the book down for a week after that.

An idiom for civil war inspired by actual dragons.

Is it a prequel to "Dragon's Den"? Great fantasy title though.

Speaking of "new" books, will the "leviathan wept" short story collection be coming out in the UK or is it one to get through the wonders of international mail?

Speaking of "new" books, will the "leviathan wept" short story collection be coming out in the UK or is it one to get through the wonders of international mail?

Sadly, it won't be coming out in a UK edition. The press that's doing it is fairly small, and I haven't had a UK house pick it up.

Mr. Abraham,

Any ideas regarding a range of dates for the completion of your next book?

Ten days. I'm in the home stretch right now, and the contract's very firm about its deadlines. :) After that, there's still the editorial changes, copy editing, production, and distribution. The book should see shelves about this time next year.

Sadly, it won't be coming out in a UK edition. The press that's doing it is fairly small, and I haven't had a UK house pick it up.

Ten days. I'm in the home stretch right now, and the contract's very firm about its deadlines. :) After that, there's still the editorial changes, copy editing, production, and distribution. The book should see shelves about this time next year.

I will probably have a look into the international option at some stage then, or wait for the UK to catch on. I remember wasting a lot of time looking for copies of the long price in bookstores only to discover the omnibuses were yet to be realeased in the UK.

Firm deadline contracts. Sounds like the kids in class getting told off for the ones who didn't turn up. Interesting that publishers are trying to tackle these events though. I hope it's relatively "fair" in terms of them just wanting to see things progress at a certain speed rather than throwing your ass out on the street if the next "Harry Potter" is 3 months behind schedule.

Good luck crossing the finishing line! :) I'm really looking forward to the new book. The premise is awesome.

I will probably have a look into the international option at some stage then, or wait for the UK to catch on. I remember wasting a lot of time looking for copies of the long price in bookstores only to discover the omnibuses were yet to be realeased in the UK.

Firm deadline contracts. Sounds like the kids in class getting told off for the ones who didn't turn up. Interesting that publishers are trying to tackle these events though. I hope it's relatively "fair" in terms of them just wanting to see things progress at a certain speed rather than throwing your ass out on the street if the next "Harry Potter" is 3 months behind schedule.

Tor Books - highly unwisely IMO - didn't pick up Daniel Abraham's new series, so Orbit grabbed the worldwide rights for it instead. As far as I know, as a UK company with a US publishing arm, they're going to be releasing the new books simultaneously in the UK and USA, meaning no more 18-month waits for an omnibus edition. Huzzah!

If that's the plan, of course ;)

Archived