Daniel Abraham

Tycho

In terms of workaholism, Abraham seems to come quite close to Sanderson...

Shadow in the Summer didn't sit quite well with me being a bit departed from usual fantasy, but I did recognize quelity in his writing. Therefore I was quick to (pre)order Tha Path of Dragon.

I'm considering Leviathan Wakes, also. Are there any early reviews?

EDIT: I wanted to quote earlier post on DA's engagement in ASOIAF comic books, but I somehow managed to click wron "Reply" button.

I'd be more interested in the ASOIAF comic if it was going to cover new material, preferably from the past. Considering it has taken 6-8 issues to do the Dunk and Egg comics, I imagine this will be a very long comic series (will it still catch up the books?). I'd be interested to see whether it follows the books, the TV show or a hybrud but that's about it. It's good they are capitalizing on the potential success of the TV show.

Daniel seems to be doing a fair amount of comics these days. I'd be interested to see him try his own comics at some point - he could give vertigo or Image a whirl with some original material. I'd settle for a series set in the world of the Andat. Could be an artist's nightmare coming up with all those gestures though :)

Shadow in the Summer didn't sit quite well with me being a bit departed from usual fantasy, but I did recognize quelity in his writing. Therefore I was quick to (pre)order Tha Path of Dragon.

Don't give up on The Long Price Quartet; it's definitely not standard fantasy and it's all the better for it. I thought the first two books, were good, but the third book is where it elevated into "top 5 all time" realm for me.

I'm considering Leviathan Wakes, also. Are there any early reviews?

It's still too early yet. Did you watch the clips with him and Ty being interviewed (linked up thread)? I was excited about the book just because it was Abraham, but those got me very amped.

It's still too early yet. Did you watch the clips with him and Ty being interviewed (linked up thread)? I was excited about the book just because it was Abraham, but those got me very amped.

But I've seen photos of this book on a blog somewhere. I just can't remember where. So, if it exists, probably somebody read it...

But I've seen photos of this book on a blog somewhere. I just can't remember where. So, if it exists, probably somebody read it...

Liviu at Fantasy Book Critic has read it. I'm not sure if he's reviewed it or not. There are certainly review copies floating around, I have one, so reviews should start popping up regularly from now until release.

Just started on Autumn War, and for some reason the prose of Long Price has been bothering me. It's perfectly clear and functional, but it keeps drawing my attention. I don't know how to describe it...bloodless maybe?

Am I just crazy or does anyone else get this impression?

Liviu at Fantasy Book Critic has read it. I'm not sure if he's reviewed it or not. There are certainly review copies floating around, I have one, so reviews should start popping up regularly from now until release.

wert has it, along with leviathan wakes. Lucky sod.

Liviu mentions LW as A++, but still has not published a full review. Problem is, I don't always trust his judgment.

Bookdepository offers it at very good price, 25% off. 120 days of waiting. I can feel the itch...

Liviu mentions LW as A++, but still has not published a full review. Problem is, I don't always trust his judgment.

Amen to that. I had wondered a few times before, but when he gave that craptastic Left Hand of God a stellar review, I stopped reading his stuff. There are other reviewers whose taste I trust more.

Amen to that. I had wondered a few times before, but when he gave that craptastic Left Hand of God a stellar review, I stopped reading his stuff. There are other reviewers whose taste I trust more.

I was more bugged with his Hundred Thousand Kingdoms review and the fact that he gives A++ rating to approx. 50 books per year. But some of his reviews were very, very good. And well written, too. Overall, Fantasy Book Critic is among my TOP 10 blogs, together with Aidan's, Werts, Graeme's, kcf's and Speculative Scotsman's. Recently, I discovered Iceberg Ink and www.fantasyliterature.com to be very good with regular updates and good content. I am deviating from topic, but when I mentioned these blogs, I also have to be fair and mention that Pat's blog is my starting point for regular daily blog-round since he updates regularly and his shortcut list is most handy to access those listed above. Also, I must admit I learned to read his reviews and I can use them as tips nicely.

A couple of reviewers seem to have gone for The Dragon's Path first, plus the economic fantasy angle sounded similar to the last book I read (The Folding Knife) so I decided to go with Leviathan Wakes (undecided about either jumping into TDP or reading something else between). About 200 pages in, not far off halfway, and it's excellent. Fast-moving but with some nice character moments and a very tight focus (only two POVs and the chapters alternate between them using their names as chapter headings, like ASoIaF except there's also a chapter count) but also an epic feel for events thanks to news broadcasts.

It's a mix of CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station, some of Alastair Reynolds stuff, Babylon 5 and even hints of Firefly. Yet it's also its own beast as well. Providing it doesn't go down the toilet in the last half, this is a very impressive book. Maybe the best space opera series debut I've read since The Reality Dysfunction fifteen years ago (although I wouldn't count Altered Carbon or The Quantum Thief as space operas).

Nice little interview with Daniel on the "latest news" part of the forum. Nicely answers my question/thought earlier on whether he'd like to try his hand at creator owned comics down the line. With the way he handled god-like powers in "the long price" I'd like to see him do a version of the eternals by marvel if he'd ever consider writing for the "big two".

Archived