College Football 2008

WarGalley

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1506044' date='Sep 4 2008, 16.35']Don't know how Wisconsin's defense gave up 17 points to Akron (or if Akron was any good to begin with) but the spread will probably make me nervous on that game.

Anyone see any upsets? Stanford over ASU? Miami over Florida?[/quote]

I'm a bit worried about ECU next week. Other than that... I'd love to see Cincy beat Oklahoma. Probably not going to happen but I think they can beat that 21 point spread. Cincy has a good coach, a scrappy defense and some good recievers. Hell, Cincy played WVU tougher last year than OU did... but that was an in conference and in Cincinnati. The Sooners will probably wear them down in the end, but I'm hoping for a half decent game.

[quote name='S John' post='1506056' date='Sep 4 2008, 16.43']I'm a bit worried about ECU next week. Other than that... I'd love to see Cincy beat Oklahoma. Probably not going to happen but I think they can beat that 21 point spread. Cincy has a good coach, a scrappy defense and some good recievers. Hell, Cincy played WVU tougher last year than OU did... but that was an in conference and in Cincinnati. The Sooners will probably wear them down in the end, but I'm hoping for a half decent game.[/quote]

I was going to mention that game until I saw the spread. Then I realized I'm not all that sure what type of team Cincy returns. I'll definitely be looking into that game in more detail.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1506570' date='Sep 5 2008, 05.47']fixed that for you. ;)

um what team does that refer to? I honestly don't know.[/quote]

Vanderbilt Commodores. I've got a few alumni in the family, I like to see Vandy win a good one.

Games that I fear about or where the spread can be beat:

Auburn v. Southern Miss (yeah I can definitely see it)
WVU v ECU (I think I'm gonna go with ECU on this one if the weather is bad)
Utah v UNLV
Wisconsin v Marshall (Wisconsin has never been a team to blow people out)
Oklahoma v. Cinci (sometime today I need to see what kind of defense Cinci has and how many experienced starters are playing)

I've seen very little of ASU, so I'm not sure what kind of team they've got but I think I'm taking them over Stanford.

I know they're at home, but I was actually looking at Penn State v Oregon State. PSU had 3 suspensions this week (and a reserve player kicked off the team).

I was also looking at Utah and Texas Tech and WV. I just look at whether I think they can meet the spread or not, no brain power is applied to whether I think they will actually lose.

ETA: Redundant after Triskle's post, I see. Too slow!

Regarding Stanford and Oregon State.. all very good points. Penn State dropping 66 points on Coastal Carolina did surprise me. I didn't think they could do that on anyone as I don't usually regard them as a great offensive team. I've seen people picking OSU so we'll see.

This week has some tough picks for me. Mediocre matchups with tough spreads to figure out. Utah -TT could turn out to be a game, but I'm just not sure.

I never understood why Vandy was in the SEC, considering we get whooped every year and at our home games the road teams have more fans in the seats (sometimes we couldn't even fill our student section).

Then I found out that revenue from bowl games is split up between all teams in the conference, and it all makes sense.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1506833' date='Sep 5 2008, 11.27']I never understood why Vandy was in the SEC, considering we get whooped every year and at our home games the road teams have more fans in the seats (sometimes we couldn't even fill our student section).

Then I found out that revenue from bowl games is split up between all teams in the conference, and it all makes sense.[/quote]

Oddly... I may have to move South Carolina from my "possible win" to a "probable win" and Vandy from "probable" to "possible" for UK after that game. Excellent game.

I don't understand why South Carolina isnt better. They had Holtz and now Spurrier, two Hall of Fame caliber coaches and neither of them could really manage to get consistency out of the Gamecocks. Thats twice in a row to Vanderbilt? I can understand dropping a game to the Florida's and Georgia's of the world, but USC will beat Georgia one week and then lose to Vanderbilt the next. I don't think that speaks to SEC toughness as much as it does USC's inability to get it together.

Coaching can only take you so far. And the difference between coaching in Florida and coaching in South Carolina is pretty big.

Holtz had the Notre Dame recruiting of hell. Florida had the SEC + the huge base of awesome recruits in Florida. Thinking that just because you bring in a coach that had a good pedigree and expecting them to turn it around? They're just outclassed on talent. It's not a surprise.

A better question is why Ron Zook couldn't do better in Florida or why Weis has sucked so bad in ND. Coaching does matter, but recruiting tends to matter more.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1507191' date='Sep 5 2008, 15.24']Coaching can only take you so far. And the difference between coaching in Florida and coaching in South Carolina is pretty big.

Holtz had the Notre Dame recruiting of hell. Florida had the SEC + the huge base of awesome recruits in Florida. Thinking that just because you bring in a coach that had a good pedigree and expecting them to turn it around? They're just outclassed on talent. It's not a surprise.

A better question is why Ron Zook couldn't do better in Florida or why Weis has sucked so bad in ND. Coaching does matter, but recruiting tends to matter more.[/quote]

But Spurrier won at [i]Duke[/i] for Christ's sake! He should be able to string together some consistency at the other USC.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1507244' date='Sep 5 2008, 16.16']Speaking of Duke, Northwestern visits them this weekend. The Wildcats are going to kick Blue Devil ass. Yeah that's right, I'm talking shit about Duke.[/quote]

This calls for the obligatory [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3455278"]link to the story that confirms Duke football can't get any worse.[/url]

Archived