College Football 2008

WarGalley

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1507256' date='Sep 5 2008, 16.26']This calls for the obligatory [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3455278"]link to the story that confirms Duke football can't get any worse.[/url][/quote]

I'm of the opinion that Northwestern is the worst football program of all the major BCS conferences. Northwestern fans used to "lake the posts" after certain games.

From wiki
[quote]Northwestern has won one bowl game, the Rose Bowl, in 1949. After that, the team has languished in decades of mediocrity. The team achieved notoriety with a 34-game losing streak from 1979-1982, the longest in Division I-A college football. Upon setting the new record in 1981 (thanks to a 61-14 home loss to Michigan State), students rushed the field to "celebrate," and chanted "we're the worst!" A win over Northern Illinois University finally broke the losing streak, and the students again celebrated, rushing the field, tearing down the goalposts, and throwing them into nearby Lake Michigan.[/quote]

Laking the posts is a dead tradition now.. the student section tried to tear down the goalposts after we upset #6 OSU in OT a few years ago (best college memory ever!!). Unfortunately they cemented the foundations making it near impossible now.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1507354' date='Sep 5 2008, 15.12']The U of O has a yearly budget item for replacing both goalposts. No shit. We actually plan to lose one pair every year.

I think in 2001 there was a plan to lose 2 sets.[/quote]

When was the last time they, tore down the goalpost at Oregon? At Oregon State they surround the goalpost with event staff. I think the last time they were tore down was after the 89 Civil War (the best Civil War ever) and that girl got hurt when she was hit by one of the post.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1507531' date='Sep 5 2008, 22.48']When was the last time they, tore down the goalpost at Oregon? At Oregon State they surround the goalpost with event staff. I think the last time they were tore down was after the 89 Civil War (the best Civil War ever) and that girl got hurt when she was hit by one of the post.[/quote]

Can't tear 'em down at Mountaineer field anymore either. Many have tried, many have been pepper-sprayed.

well, wisconsin caught up and passed marshall but tOSU is still down :D i don't think they'll lose though.

auburn is up 14-0 at the half. we fumbled away the ball in the red zone on our first two possessions so s. miss is still in the game. we're looking much better than we did last week in the passing game. kodi hasn't played a snap. it's been all chris todd (14-19 for 166).

as per usual, we're dominating on defense. so. miss has 85 yards.

i honestly didn't expect it to go that way because so. miss hung 52 points on somebody last week.

ETA: tOSU is now down 13-6 :rofl:

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1507826' date='Sep 6 2008, 14.21']I hope Ohio can pull this out. Though I'm not confident.[/quote]

Same. I'll tell you what though, if I'm USC I'm licking my chops. I realize that Beanie Wells is out, but OSU is decidedly not scary right now.

[quote name='S John' post='1507843' date='Sep 6 2008, 11.44']Same. I'll tell you what though, if I'm USC I'm licking my chops. I realize that Beanie Wells is out, but OSU is decidedly not scary right now.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. Actually, from a PAC-10 fan's perspective, I guess I ought to root for tOSU here, so they're a better opponent for USC to knock off.

So that, y'know, when we beat USC later, it looks better for us.

Looks like the Buckeyes are going to win, but they better pay to the football gods that Wells comes back healthy, or USC is going to blow them away.

GT has pulled ahead of Boston College, I believe that Johnson is a great coach and I think he will make GT a contender in the ACC.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1507858' date='Sep 6 2008, 12.03']I think you've already spent your victory over them for this century.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think you're right. But maybe you'll beat them, and then when we beat you, it'll look good...

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1507860' date='Sep 6 2008, 15.08']Unfortunately, I think you're right. But maybe you'll beat them, and then when we beat you, it'll look good...[/quote]

Dont think Cal has much of a shot either. ASU, Oregon, and I always add UCLA because you just never know have a realistic shot. Though Stanford didnt have a shot last year and look what happened...

[url="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?o=1&f=/c/a/2008/09/06/MNEE12P1DP.DTL"]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/artic.../MNEE12P1DP.DTL[/url]

Finally getting the tree sitters out and moving along with the much needed upgrades.

Oregon State should be interesting. OSU really needs to avoid the 0-2 hole and the Big Ten could really use a decent OOC win.

Wake Forest-Ole Miss is the same thing.

Archived