The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

Werthead

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1544856' date='Oct 6 2008, 12.53']Dude, Myshkin, get out of my head! I was looking for this thread, got distracted, and the next thing I know you've bumped it. :lol:

Anyway, I'm only about 50 pages in but so far it seems very simplistic.[/quote]
You get out of my dreams, and into my car!

It is fairly simplistic so far, and hasn't really deviated from the norm yet, but it is well written and I can see where it might break out. Most formulaic fantasy these days is also plagued by bad writing, and this as much as anything gives formulaic fantasy its bad name, IMO. Brett can at least write well, so if it continues to be formulaic it will turn out to be a mediocre read rather than a terrible read. If it does break the mold at some point it could turn out to be a great read.

It remains simplistic throughout imo, i got a distinct YA vibes from it, even though some very adult themes surfaced, but they were never dealt with head on.

I think this book could have been polished and fleshed out into a respectable stand alone, as i cant see where the author is going to take this tale that would break it out of the mold.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1544856' date='Oct 6 2008, 14.53']Dude, Myshkin, get out of my head! I was looking for this thread, got distracted, and the next thing I know you've bumped it. :lol:

Anyway, I'm only about 50 pages in but so far it seems very simplistic.[/quote]
That wasn't Myshkin that bumped it. :P

ARGHH!!! YA -- the most cursed two letters of the alphabet!

Nevertheless, I was intrigued enough by everything you guys have been saying that I invited the author for a Q&A.

Patrick

The thing is, although there is a lot of carnage in the book, it was never really scary, well, to me, ymmv.

[[b]ARGHH!!! YA -- the most cursed two letters of the alphabet!

Nevertheless, I was intrigued enough by everything you guys have been saying that I invited the author for a Q&A.

Patrick [/b]]

The YA descriptor wasnt used disparagingly, i was more concerned with the way the book veered from YA to adult, it was a little off putting, all that being said i did enjoy it, but unsure where the story goes from here....

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1545126' date='Oct 6 2008, 17.12']Wait, wha...? Oh crap! So sorry.[/quote]
No problem! Though I might hold this over you from time to time. :P

I've decided to buy this book, but I think I'll wait until it comes out in six months.

This book isn't YA. If it is, than so is [i]The Eye of the World[/i] and [i]The Name of the Wind[/i]. Although I know people who strongly argue that both of those are YA anyway, so I'm not sure if that's a help, but I really don't get that idea for this book. [i]The Red Wolf Conspiracy[/i] and [i]Graceling[/i], I can see why people may apply the YA label to them, but not this one. Things get quite bleak and hardcore towards the end.

The series title is [b]The Demon Trilogy[/b]. Book 2 is called, IIRC, [i]The Desert Spear[/i], for reasons that will be abundantly obvious by the time you get to the end of Book 1.

Not sure how this topic got closed. Was posting whilst simultaneously trying to concentrate on [b]The Wire[/b] at 2am, so may have clicked the wrong button. Whoops.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1545742' date='Oct 7 2008, 07.39']Not sure how this topic got closed. Was posting whilst simultaneously trying to concentrate on [b]The Wire[/b] at 2am, so may have clicked the wrong button. Whoops.[/quote]

I'll say! I saw the closed icon so I decided to check out the thread. I read your last post and thought, "Wow, someone is pissy today." :P

[quote name='cseresz' post='1546510' date='Oct 7 2008, 12.37']I'd like to choose the better edition:

amazon.com: 432 pages or amazon.co.uk: 560 pages

Please, help me! (font size info etc.)

Updated: I am an idiot. (amazon.com - March 10, 2009)[/quote]
I'll just say that I'm not too fond of the size of the UK edition. It's about an inch shorter than most hardcovers (somewhere between regular HC and book club edition HC), and so doesn't look good on my bookshelf. Luckily I knew about the size before I bought it, and the price I paid reflected that, otherwise I'd have been pretty pissed off when it showed up in the mail.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1546344' date='Oct 7 2008, 19.05']Yeah, I thought Wert closed the thread because he got mad that we were calling the book YA. :P

Oh, and I lied, I'm on page 28, not 50. I brought it with me today so hopefully I will read a bit during lunch.[/quote]

What can I say, the red mist descended and there was some literary-[b]Hulk[/b] stuff going on. "MUST CLOSE THREAD!"

Thanks for the info. I have another question. From Brett's blog: [quote]The Painted Man was around 180,000 words when I first started shopping it around. It took some heavy editing for me to trim it down to it’s sleek final 154,000.[/quote]

Is it good news or a bad one? (I like reading long books.)

[quote name='Werthead' post='1546732' date='Oct 7 2008, 18.18']What can I say, the red mist descended and there was some literary-[b]Hulk[/b] stuff going on. "MUST CLOSE THREAD!"[/quote]

Dude, that should so be your custom title: "Literary Hulk".

Archived