BwB Eurocommie Spring/Summer Meet-Up 2009

Werthead

[quote]GET OFF THE INTERNET![/quote]

It's ok. Needle's bought a wee mini lap-top, so we're just sitting out on our room terrace looking out to the Blue Mosque and across the city drinking wine and I'm checking the net while needle reads Sailing to Sarantium. Couldn't be better :)

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1511147' date='Sep 9 2008, 17.57']It's ok. Needle's bought a wee mini lap-top, so we're just sitting out on our room terrace looking out to the Blue Mosque and across the city drinking wine and I'm checking the net while needle reads Sailing to Sarantium. Couldn't be better :)[/quote]

Are you looking at furry pron?

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart' post='1511307' date='Sep 9 2008, 19.28']is drinking allowed in Istanbul?[/quote]

I shall answer your question with a question. Would Zak pay money to visit a country where he couldn't drink alcohol?

York seems to be getting the most votes at the moment. Sounds like a good place to visit. I did have a look at how easy it is to get to. This [url="http://www.visityork.org/information/getting-to-york.asp"]link [/url]seems helpful. Its half way between Edinburgh and London, so it is equally handy for 2 of the big UK-BwB centers. There is no airport in York itself but there are trains every half hour from Manchester Airport direct to York. Its a 2 hour train ride. That's not bad. Leeds Bradford airport is even closer (a hour by bus) but it wouldn't be as well connected as Manchester is.

OT - Yes drinking is allowed here. There are plenty of bars and you can get most in alot of the shops. Istanbul is pretty secular really with the whole 'secular state Ataturk' history. Of course it is Ramadan, which is pretty cool really - like a big festival in the evening without any beer tents

[quote name='tenalpia' post='1510703' date='Sep 9 2008, 06.40']if we go for york [url="http://www.stakesby.co.uk/"]this[/url] is a place that I found last time we were thinking about it...[/quote]

This place is in a really cool location - it's a fairly residential part of town, about a fifteen minute walk from town (including the famous Micklegate Mile).

It's also less than a mile from where I used to live and, unless I'm much mistaken, two doors down from one of my mates' houses and three doors up from another. There's also some nice B&Bs a few minutes away for anyone who wants one.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1510544' date='Sep 8 2008, 22.48']I'm not crazy about York. Been there a couple of times and it was okay, but nothing that screamed that it must be visited again.

But if it's the majority choice, cool ;)[/quote]

Basically, I still have a "2 tubs of 'I can't believe it's not butter' for the price of 1" voucher for the local shop, and I *really* want the chance to use it! ;)

[quote name='tomfoster' post='1512874' date='Sep 10 2008, 20.00']Basically, I still have a "2 tubs of 'I can't believe it's not butter' for the price of 1" voucher for the local shop, and I *really* want the chance to use it! ;)[/quote]

In that case, why would we want to go anywhere else? ;)

Seriously, York sounds great and i've never been there before. :cheers:

Well the only date that people have ruled out so far is the Easter period, which falls around 12th April next year. So we'll see are people interested in other periods. :)

I think Tenalpia's boarding suggestion looks great. 2 flats in the same house fitting up to 20 people or so, including a kitchen. That should be plenty (even if we got more than 20 interested).

Btw, if people are also thinking about meeting on the continent next year, GRRM is going to Helsinki in July.

Archived