NFL Week 2

Ser Paladin

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1511148' date='Sep 9 2008, 12.57']Anybody know how bad Joseph Addai is hurt? He's listed as probable, and Dungy says he expects him to play, but if it's worse than that, could be trouble for the Colts, who need to ease Manning back in a little. I know he went out of the game for a while the other day.[/quote]

Per FO's Injury guy:
[quote]The Colts are also waiting to see how Joseph Addai responds after a “head injury.” No, they won’t call it a concussion, but Addai took a hard hit to the head and didn’t return. He’s expected to be back, but as we all know by now, you simply can’t predict how “head injuries” will respond.[/quote]

Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

[quote]If the Browns are in the top 5, it's because they are playing from behind all season, or the running game sputtered. Certainly possible, but ot for the right reasons.[/quote]

Browns have superior passing game talent than the Broncos.
Edwards > Marshall
Stallworth/Jerevicius =/= Royal/Stokely (though depends on how good Royal becomes)
Winslow > Scheffler
Browns O-line > Broncos O-line

Cutler may end up being a better pure QB than Anderson this year, but I'm not comfortable saying it yet.

I think the Chargers will end up with more yardage and more passing touchdowns than the Broncos come the end of the season. Cutler is probably a bit better than Rivers, and the Broncos WR are better (though a full season of Chambers may be what it takes to make Davis and VJax shine) but Gates is way better than Scheffler and the huge burst the Chargers get in passing to (and from) LaDainian will make up for the WR gap.

So I was thinking of the Pats situation. They need some sort of verteran QB influence. Of the QBs available, the only name I could think of is Vinny Testaverdi. I know I joked at one point about Vinny, but seriously he would be a good fit in NE. He knows the system, is a BB guy and could step in and make smart decisions if needed.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1511456' date='Sep 9 2008, 15.44']Chargers[/quote]
I thought about the Chargers. But they are so effective running the ball, I don't see the demand for a passing game producing the big numbers. The Eagles, by contrast, though Westbrook is nearly as elite as Tomlinson, would almost as soon pass the ball to their RB as hand it off

Westbrook had 120 passing targets last year, to Tomlinson's 80.

I do like Rivers and the receiving corps, but LT affects things, obviously.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1511518' date='Sep 9 2008, 16.22']So I was thinking of the Pats situation. They need some sort of verteran QB influence. Of the QBs available, the only name I could think of is Vinny Testaverdi. I know I joked at one point about Vinny, but seriously he would be a good fit in NE. He knows the system, is a BB guy and could step in and make smart decisions if needed.[/quote]

What about getting Dante Culpepper out of retirement and let him reunite with Moss?

[i]Now[/i] Merriman is out for the season. What a genius. Unfortunate that he was injured, but really he is just an enormous idiot for ignoring what every doctor told him before the season started.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1511686' date='Sep 9 2008, 15.40'][i]Now[/i] Merriman is out for the season. What a genius. Unfortunate that he was injured, but really he is just an enormous idiot for ignoring what every doctor told him before the season started.[/quote]

I'm glad he finally made the right choice. I'll not criticize him too harshly for making every effort to play.

One of the few things I agree with Peter King on: Do not expand the season. Cut preseason, but leave things the way they are. Even expanding rosters wouldn't do it. 16 games is enough for the human body and the fan's wallet.

Just list the stars that have been lost for significant time due to injury not resulting from gun shot wounds. Just look at the success of Fantasy football. The stars drive the game.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1511943' date='Sep 9 2008, 18.59']One of the few things I agree with Peter King on: Do not expand the season. Cut preseason, but leave things the way they are. Even expanding rosters wouldn't do it. 16 games is enough for the human body and the fan's wallet.[/quote]
It won't hurt the fans wallet any; they pay full price for 20 games as it is. Which is why the league is very unlikely to just drop two games.

[quote name='Sword of the Evening' post='1511643' date='Sep 9 2008, 17.00']What about getting Dante Culpepper out of retirement and let him reunite with Moss?[/quote]

Culpepper would not fit into the Pats system, and it would take him weeks to get up to speed. Cassell is the guy in NE now, but he would benefit from a veteran pressence. Vinny knows the system, knows Cassell, and can step in when needed. Seems like a no brainer to me, yet I haven't even heard his named whispered.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1512059' date='Sep 10 2008, 00.32']Culpepper would not fit into the Pats system, and it would take him weeks to get up to speed. Cassell is the guy in NE now, but he would benefit from a veteran pressence. Vinny knows the system, knows Cassell, and can step in when needed. Seems like a no brainer to me, yet I haven't even heard his named whispered.[/quote]
He'll be 45 in November. That is a little [i]too [/i]veteran for me.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1511958' date='Sep 9 2008, 20.04']I think D Hall for the Raiders thought that he should rack up as many penalty yards as millions he is getting from them :ack:. It's kids sad that a rookie in his first NFL game burned him that much yesterday.[/quote]

I think that rookie might be something special.

I'll venture into a non-Broncos subject temporarily. Is anyone else worried about Vince Young? I mean he had considered retirement already (???) and now there is this strange story circulating about how he went missing for a few hours and people were really worried about him. A lot of backlash has come out against him and he seems to be taking it VERY POORLY, and I can only say that it's pretty shitty of people to crap on him so much because he seems to be sensitive. I'm legitimately worried about the guy.

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1512067' date='Sep 10 2008, 00.53']I think that rookie might be something special.

I'll venture into a non-Broncos subject temporarily. Is anyone else worried about Vince Young? I mean he had considered retirement already (???) and now there is this strange story circulating about how he went missing for a few hours and people were really worried about him. A lot of backlash has come out against him and he seems to be taking it VERY POORLY, and I can only say that it's pretty shitty of people to crap on him so much because he seems to be sensitive. I'm legitimately worried about the guy.[/quote]

I just read that he was categorized as "extremely depressed" and no longer wants to play football anymore. He's probably done.

Yeah, kind of glad Merriman decide to get the surgery. I have no idea the mentallity of an all-pro, superstar NFL DE who believes that he is responsible (at least in part) for his team's ultimate success, but at the same time, when 4 orthopedic surgeons tell you your season is over, you should listen. But Merriman decided to see if he could play anyway, and thankfully- for the sake of this man's health and his life- he decided to get the surgery.

I think Vince Young is simply not NFL material. Mentally and physically. It is all just rumor, but it seems to be a pattern. His past offensive coordinator was not impressed with him. I look forward to see what Collins does.

On the other hand, fans don't seem to have a lot of patience these days do they.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1512288' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.03']Yeah, kind of glad Merriman decide to get the surgery. I have no idea the mentallity of an all-pro, superstar NFL DE who believes that he is responsible (at least in part) for his team's ultimate success, but at the same time, when 4 orthopedic surgeons tell you your season is over, you should listen. But Merriman decided to see if he could play anyway, and thankfully- for the sake of this man's health and his life- he decided to get the surgery.[/quote]

Peter King was speculating on Sirius this morning that if Tyler does well this year in Merriman's spot, it could be the end of Merriman as a Charger. I personally think that's an idiotic statement but he was speculating.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1512323' date='Sep 10 2008, 06.32']Peter King was speculating on Sirius this morning that if [b]Tyler[/b] does well this year in Merriman's spot, it could be the end of Merriman as a Charger. I personally think that's an idiotic statement but he was speculating.[/quote]

Do you mean "Jyles Tucker"?

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1512296' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.14']I think Vince Young is simply not NFL material. Mentally and physically. It is all just rumor, but it seems to be a pattern. His past offensive coordinator was not impressed with him. I look forward to see what Collins does.

On the other hand, fans don't seem to have a lot of patience these days do they.[/quote]

That low Wonderlic score all of a sudden doesn't look so ridiculous anymore...

Amongst all the news of Tom Brady, Shawn Merriman, and the Rogers/Favre saga... somehow I missed this story that [url="http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_10407222"]Alex Smith has a season ending shoulder injury.[/url] Welp, kiddos. I guess you can call it a career for Mr. Smith.

Archived