NFL Week 2

Ser Paladin

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1512567' date='Sep 10 2008, 12.01']What a rough week. Not to mention the walking wounded from Pittsburgh to Seattle.[/quote]

Who's hurt for the Steelers? If you mean the thing about Ben's shoulder I think they're playing that up a bit.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1512746' date='Sep 10 2008, 12.56']Ricky Williams.
Cedric Benson.
Vince Young.

Is there something in the water in Austin??????[/quote]
Don't forget Chris Simms. That's quite an underachieving list. There must be some good stuff in the Austin water. Withdrawals seem to be severe.

[quote name='DeliriousEdd' post='1513690' date='Sep 11 2008, 10.02']Don't forget Chris Simms. That's quite an underachieving list. There must be some good stuff in the Austin water. Withdrawals seem to be severe.[/quote]
Chris Simms' problems, whatever they may be, do not seem to come from lack of effort or heart, unlike the others on that list.

Apparently Tony Romo is a legit good dude:

From PFT:
[quote]Though we’re always skeptical of celebrities and pro athletes who do something nice for someone else and then send an e-mail to every newspaper in the country announcing their good deed, we’ve got a feeling that the recent Samaritan-style actions of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo weren’t intended to garner the kind of good karma that comes from, say, a grandstanding donation of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes. (Then again, grandstanding donations of $10,000 to a smattering of charitable causes didn’t help Mike Vick in the karma department.)

On his way home from Sunday’s game against the Browns, Romo stopped to help a couple who was struggling to repair a flat tire.

Bill and Sharon White didn’t initially recognize Romo, due in part to the bandage on his chin that was covering the 13 stitches he received after taking a helmet to the jaw.

The light flickered for Sharon White while Romo was working on the tire. He didn’t answer when she asked if he was who he is. She repeated her question when he finished pumping air into the tire from a cigarette-lighter compressor.

“I didn’t want to bother him,” Sharon said, “but I asked again, ‘You’re Tony Romo, right?’ I knew it was him by then. But he smiled and said, ‘Yes, ma’am.’ I did something no 50-year-old woman should be doing, but I screamed real loud, and then jumped up and hugged him.”

Her husband, Bill, was less concerned about his wife’s PDA with a studly young athlete than he was about ruining his ability to watch the Cowboys-Browns game without knowing the outcome: “Don’t tell me how you guys did,” Bill White said. “I’m going home to watch it.”
[b]
Romo didn’t publicize his actions at all; the team didn’t even know about it as of Wednesday. If Sharon White hadn’t sent an e-mail to Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the story might never have been known.

“He gets almost knocked cold in that game, and I read it took 13 stitches to close the cut, and then there’s a long flight home and Tony’s got to be dog tired, but he still was a good enough person to stop and help us,” Bill White said.[/b]

“Look, we’re driving a 10-year old car that is sitting in a parking lot with a flat tire in the dead of night. He could tell by that we’re nothing special. But here’s a young man making millions of dollars, and he’s got all this fame and glory, and he does this? . . . This was a good person we met. A good person with small-town values despite all the big-city fame and fortune.

“[I]f I ever had the opportunity, I’d also like to thank two other people. His mom and dad. They obviously raised him right.”[/quote]

Hate guys who make hating the Cowboys harder.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1514176' date='Sep 11 2008, 13.58']Apparently Tony Romo is a legit good dude:

From PFT:

Hate guys who make hating the Cowboys harder.[/quote]

You can always throw the hatred towards Jessica Simpson instead though, right?

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1514176' date='Sep 11 2008, 14.58']Hate guys who make hating the Cowboys harder.[/quote]
Exactly my thought. I know this is a trite and overused sentiment about professional athletes (and politicians for that matter), but he does seem like a regular dude and a nice person. Some of Romo's reflected light of niceness even seems to make TO vaguely palatable from time to time. I doubt Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia share that opinion though. :P

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1514176' date='Sep 11 2008, 13.58']Apparently Tony Romo is a legit good dude:

From PFT:

Hate guys who make hating the Cowboys harder.[/quote]

I've always hated the Cowboys but for some reason, ever since the first interview that I heard in the preseason training camp a year before he got his real opportunity, I've been rooting for him. It's nice to read stories like this.

[quote name='UNIT81' post='1513425' date='Sep 11 2008, 01.28']Who's hurt for the Steelers? If you mean the thing about Ben's shoulder I think they're playing that up a bit.[/quote]

Yeah, Ben's fine. :) It's the Browns who are banged up. Do they even have a secondary left?

[quote name='Nymeria Sand' post='1514192' date='Sep 11 2008, 12.06']Yeah, Ben's fine. :) It's the Browns who are banged up. Do they even have a secondary left?[/quote]

The Browns did not have much of a secondary before everybody got hurt; now, it could be a very long day.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1514183' date='Sep 11 2008, 15.01']You can always throw the hatred towards Jessica Simpson instead though, right?[/quote]

Exactly. He's a good dude with bad taste considering the kind of women he [i]could[/i] pull.

Bill Simmons also brought up the point about how being around a stupid person actively makes you stupider...which I don't know, maybe that's true? All I know is watching that clip of Jessica Simpson talking trash on Good Morning America made me forget where I put my keys.

So, the Chiefs are bitching and moaning about the Patriots. I would have thought they would keep their mouths shut after being beat by a QB who hasnt started a game since high school.

[quote]“I was supposed to do a little out pattern and then turn in,” Gonzalez said. “But I was held. I was held the whole time. It’s ridiculous. But it’s happened before, and I’m sure it’ll happen again.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.kansascity.com/181/story/788206.html"]http://www.kansascity.com/181/story/788206.html[/url]

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1514176' date='Sep 11 2008, 11.58']make hating the Cowboys harder.[/quote]
This is not possible.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1514188' date='Sep 11 2008, 12.04']even seems to make TO vaguely palatable from time to time.[/quote]
I would say that here as well, [b]but[/b] a few years back in 49ers training camp, T.O. found out that one of the kids trying out for the team didn't have a TV in his room because he couldn't afford one. When the guy got back to his room that afternoon, he found a brand new TV that T.O. had bought for him. I believe they knew each other all of a couple of days. (Now back to your regularly scheduled T.O. hate.)

[quote name='CelticBrennus' post='1514570' date='Sep 11 2008, 14.34']So, the Chiefs are bitching and moaning about the Patriots.[/quote]
And you're bitching and moaning about them bitching and moaning. In either case, what else is new?

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1514649' date='Sep 11 2008, 18.05']And you're bitching and moaning about them bitching and moaning. In either case, what else is new?[/quote]

And you're bitching about him bitching and moaning about the Chiefs bitching and moaning about the Patriots. Isn't that what Sports conversations online are about, beyond bragging about your team or making fun of Matt Millen?

[quote]And you're bitching and moaning about them bitching and moaning. In either case, what else is new?[/quote]

Actually, it was more me being amused at them complaining that the Pats were too mean to them, after they couldnt even win knocking out Brady.

But way to go LoB in making sure that the sports thready stay nice and civil.

[quote name='CelticBrennus' post='1514760' date='Sep 11 2008, 16.22']Actually, it was more me being amused at them complaining that the Pats were too mean to them, after they couldnt even win knocking out Brady.[/quote]
Fair enough. I don't see why you'd care, but that's cool.

[quote]But way to go LoB in making sure that the sports thready stay nice and civil.[/quote]
:o [s]Yes, well, sorry about the flaming and trolling and personal attacks. Not to mention the foul language and strawman arguments I made. I was completely out of line and I recognize that I need to learn to control myself. I feel terrible for destroying the civility of the thready.[/s] :o

Edit: Because of not meeting appropriate geographical martyrdom requirements.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1514771' date='Sep 11 2008, 16.38']:o Yes, well, sorry about the flaming and trolling and personal attacks. Not to mention the foul language and strawman arguments I made. I was completely out of line and I recognize that I need to learn to control myself. I feel terrible for destroying the civility of the thready. :o[/quote]

Thread martyrdom is explicitly reserved for fans of teams playing north of latitude 41°N and east of longitude 71° W. Please edit accordingly.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1514682' date='Sep 11 2008, 15.26']Isn't that what Sports conversations online are about, beyond bragging about your team or making fun of Matt Millen?[/quote]
Making fun of Matt Millen: Too easy.

Bragging about the 49ers: Too hard. Unless I'm in a room full of Raiders fans. :P

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1514812' date='Sep 11 2008, 20.42']Making fun of Matt Millen: Too easy.

Bragging about the 49ers: Too hard. Unless I'm in a room full of Raiders fans. :P[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=NxQuIUAsLYw"]The 49ers have the best public relations staff (no joke) *NSFW[/url]

Archived