DC BwB

Guest Raidne

I, for one, would be delighted to meet you. You should [i]definitely[/i] come.

(Totally unrelated, but check this out - my old youth minister contacted me on Facebook - I was a moron and returned his friend request and now I'm being assailed with friend requests from all my old churchy associations, most of whom I have less than pleasant feelings about. Not like they're bad people or anything, we just have such fundamentally different worldviews that it's hard to have any pleasant contact, since they just want to know if I'm still going to hell and all. I feel like you'd more than understand. :) I should read your old thread on it.)

Not to spam up the thread or anything, but if anyone is interested in helping out a great cause (and possibly getting pie!), my friend and I have set up a Sales Team for [url="http://www.foodandfriends.org/c.puLWJ6MMKpH/b.4619161/siteapps/teampage/ShowPage.aspx?teamid=3248900"]Food & Friends Slice of Life[/url] program. I didn't want to post in a more general thread since any pies purchased have to be picked up locally (they do have several locations in DC, VA & MD to choose from).

You can read more about Slice of Life [url="http://www.foodandfriends.org/site/c.puLWJ6MMKpH/b.4619221/k.5F6F/What_is_Slice_of_Life.htm"]here[/url] and more about Food & Friends [url="http://www.foodandfriends.org/site/pp.asp?c=ggLMIYOGKrF&b=3747191"]here[/url].

Anyhow, if anyone is interested we'd appreciate your support! :)

Edit: I should add that we haven't quite figured out how the website works yet, but it seems when someone buys a pie their name is added at the top right under "team members", etc. Just thought I'd mention it for those who would rather not have their info out there. :)

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1565419' date='Oct 23 2008, 17.08']Ok, I'll try to come.

Does anyone want to hang out in the afternoon beforehand?[/quote]
What did you have in mind? I'm probably down.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1544356' date='Oct 6 2008, 08.34']I've been talking to a friend who lives on the Beltway, and there's a good possibility I'll be visiting her that weekend. If so, I'll be coming as well, and trying to drag her along :)[/quote]
I really hope you're there. :)

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1565419' date='Oct 23 2008, 14.08']Ok, I'll try to come.[/quote]
Try hard. It would be so nice to meet you!

My flight arrives at Dulles at a little after 4pm, so I imagine I'll arrive at the meet around 7:30-8 pm. Raid, I'll contact you with details, but don't worry about picking me up at the hotel beforehand...I should be ok.

I'll be sleeping in and then doing touristy stuff on Sunday if anybody wants to join me. I'm perfectly fine with wandering around on my own, but if anybody wants to hang out I figure we can make plans during the meet. Yay! This is going to be so much fun!

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1567413' date='Oct 26 2008, 02.40']I'll be sleeping in and then doing touristy stuff on Sunday if anybody wants to join me. I'm perfectly fine with wandering around on my own, but if anybody wants to hang out I figure we can make plans during the meet. Yay! This is going to be so much fun![/quote]

My friend's parents were in town a few weeks ago and took some kind of DC tour bus. He said it was around $30 and hit many of the major attractions, including Arlington Cemetery. Not sure if you'd be into something like that, but he said it was well worth it and interesting, even to a local. :)

[quote name='My Lady Ashalind' post='1565148' date='Oct 23 2008, 14.20']DUDE! You got married! and moved to b-more *shakes head*

If I am remembering correctly, your wife-to-be was living near Canton? Did you move there or find a new place?

Seconds Ini's suggestion. Power Plant plaza has a number of eatery/bar type places.[/quote]

Yep, I got married last year, but moving down here was delayed because of work on my thesis. But I've been down here since June.

We live near the inner harbor, over by the University of Maryland Hospital. I take the MARC train to College Park where I'm working at the [i]other[/i] University of Maryland :) Where we'll be living in the future depends on where she is for her residency starting next year. But basically, it's easier for me to commute than for her, since she'll be working wacky hours.
We'll know where's she'll be come March, so that will determine things. For now we're just staying in her old apartment, which is fine.

Having some kind of get-together up in Baltimore would be most excellent. At the moment I seem to be spending an inordinate number of weekends away visiting relatives (including my ailing grandmother). But maybe early December would be good?

[quote name='Inigima' post='1567157' date='Oct 25 2008, 17.04']What did you have in mind? I'm probably down.[/quote]

*shrugs*

I've been to almost all the museums and monuments, since I used to live in McLean, but I don't know what else there is to do. We could go the insect zoo.

Do you guys like sushi? I'm dying to go back to Sushi Taro, but I don't know anybody else here who likes it. I'd be more than happy to do dinner before Brickskeller.

Ini, sushi? I'm going to say 5:30 for sushi, if I'm supposed to be at Brickskeller at 7:00. This place is always crazy packed too, so I'm gonna make a reservation shortly. AG, I'll just count you in.

So, anybody in besides Ep, Nora, AG and possibly Ini? I'll check back on Monday or so.

Nora, fortunately for you, not only do they have the normal stuff (spicy tuna FTW), but that stuff is actually cheap there, too. $5.50 for a California roll. The sashimi is $12-15, but it's [i][u]good[/i][/u]].

Raids, thanks for the PM, I always forget to check this thread. You said they have non-sushi options? Then I'm in. Any chance of meeting at the metro station? I know fuckall about where anything is in DC, but I can just about navigate the metro. :)

i'm in this action. i'll be at the brick and available during the day saturday and sunday for anyone that wants some DC company.

PM me for phone number if you want to meet up before, or contact me on facebook (for those of you that have me on there)

looking forward to this and meeting everyone. :)

[quote name='Starkess' post='1579337' date='Nov 5 2008, 20.58']I think I'll be riding the metro in too, so I'd appreciate metro-centric directions. :)[/quote]

Okay - get off the Red Line at the Dupont stop. Head east onto P St (if New Hampshire's to the North and Mass is to the South, you're going the right way - if not, go the other way :)). You'll walk past 18th St to 17th St, where you should cross to the far side of the street and take a left to go N. Sushi Taro will be the first place on your right.

It would also be really easy to just meet in Dupont Circle at 5:15 if that's better, weather pending. That's what my friends and I always do when we're meeting up over there. Anyone who needs to, PM me if you want my cell #.

For people going to the Brickskeller from the Metro, same metro stop - Dupont on the Red Line - but go west on P (NH to the S and Mass to the N). Walk past 20th, 21st to 22nd, take a right on the near side of the street and it'll be right there on your right.

If you're coming in on a line other than the red, [url="http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm"]here[/url] is a great map of the metro system. So, if, for instance, you're coming in on the orange, get off and change trains at Metro center, where you'd hop the Red line heading toward Shady Grove and get off two stops up at Dupont.

[quote name='Eponine R' post='1579372' date='Nov 5 2008, 21.44']I think my boyfriend is coming too- can we squeeze another one in at sushi?[/quote]

Sure, no problem! CH, should I count you in too, or no?

Archived