Westeros: Total War Beta v0.5 (Updated with Bug Fix)

aeoleron9

After you extracted what you downloaded, a new folder appears within your M2TW directory called 'Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA'. Open this up and highlight everything and copy it. Go back one level (to your M2TW directory) and paste it. You should get a thing come up to say some of the files exist, do you want to replace them. I said yes, but I don't believe it matters. As for step 6, that's not something I had to do.

[quote name='Callum' post='1529303' date='Sep 24 2008, 11.33']After you extracted what you downloaded, a new folder appears within your M2TW directory called 'Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA'. Open this up and highlight everything and copy it. Go back one level (to your M2TW directory) and paste it. You should get a thing come up to say some of the files exist, do you want to replace them. I said yes, but I don't believe it matters. As for step 6, that's not something I had to do.[/quote]

Thanks a lot.

Not a problem.

I completed the game as the Greyjoys :)
Went straight for the surrounding rebel settlements, then on to the Lannisters. Made short work of them and then the money started rolling in even quicker. Considering there isn't much at all to build, I ended the game with $400k, so maybe something needs to be done about that. After that, I took on the Tyrells and they were a bit more difficult. Also claimed kingship at somepoint in there. Randyll Tarley was a bitch, couldn't win any battles he was in :P

Does Stannis claim the Iron Throne? When I claimed kingship, we entered war. Later on however, I managed to get a ceasefire, which probably shouldn't be able to happen...

Great work guys, very entertaining!

Glad you enjoyed it Callum. Told you those Greyjoys were dumb to go north when the West was right there in front of them :P

BTW, You can check whoever claimed King via a special scribe agent, whose traits will tell you the status of the other Kingly factions. And about getting ceasefires between Kings, you can imagine it as a short term tactical truce. The relation between Kings will automatically deteriorate each turn, so any ceasefires or even alliances will probably be short-lived.

Giving the Tyrells a shot now. They're not as easy as I thought they would be (from going up against them as Greyjoy), but that just makes it more fun. The Lannisters are all but gone and are now my vassals and I've taken half of the Martell's lands. Tully seem to be dominating, they took the half the lands of the Lannisters that I missed, and I have a feeling they're about to take me on.

Also tried to take Kings Landing, my 2 stacks against Joffrey's 2 and a bit, and couldn't quite manage it unfortunately. They money problem I mentioned with the Greyjoys isnt occuring, as I now have just a bit more than 0 dollars, so pretty well balanced.

[Ok, I followed the directions, but now another folder is in my directory next to the beta version and it just says Westeros. What exactly do i click or do to play this game. I went into the beta folder and clicked on the bat? file to launch the game and a half second dos screen blips on my screeen and vanishes. So now in my M2W dir I have a Westeros folder and a Beta folder. Is that accurate or do I need to do something different or something else or maybe I am just a complete idiot?? I am very frustrated.

Charming Serpent, go to [i][b][color="#CC0000"]C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\[/color][/b][/i]

Inside, you should have:
- 1 new config file: [b]Westeros.cfg[/b]
- 1 new batch file: [b]Westeros.bat[/b]
- 1 new folder: [b]Westeros[/b]
- a lot of other files from the normal vanilla game (one of them is the medieval2.exe)

The three new files come from extracting Westeros_Total_War_0.5_BETA.zip

If you want to run the mod, [u]double-click on Westeros.bat[/u]

(explanation: the Westeros.bat file will look for the medieval2.exe and the Westeros.cfg file. Both must be in the same folder as Westeros.bat. The Westeros.cfg file will, when activated, look for the Westeros folder and use its data (skins, items, maps, names, etc.) instead of the data of the vanilla, normal game.)

P.S: your vanilla game version must at least be patched 1.2 or the mod won't work. Patch this before you install the mod.

[quote]1. Religion. Every region and faction is simply "The Faith". Will other religions/priest units be included? And regardless, the building where the priest units are trained needs to be changed from Church/Chapel.[/quote]

Changing the name of the building can be done. Other religions are ... possible but implementing them is hard. I'll think about it.
[quote]2. Starting arrangement. I first noticed this when I started my Stark game. In the faction preview thread, Stark starts with large armies south at Moat Cailin. But, in the version I played, there are a few generals gathered near Winterfell, and all the settlements are just about empty. Will this be changed?[/quote]
Changed it in the last patch. :-)

[quote]3. General's traits. I assume many of these will be changed? Tyrion started off pretty low-quality...[/quote]
Tyrion is one of the generals who haven't been done yet. Most of the generals have the traits they are meant to have but Tyrion has been postponed. You're right.

[quote]4. Mercenaries. Will we be seeing any of these, and if so, what types?[/quote]

Low priority at the moment since we don't have the skins for them.

[quote]The mapping was absolutely beautiful, some of the best I've seen in a mod before.[/quote]Thanks man, the map was the first thing I created. It was a painstaking and lonely effort and it's not complete in my opinion. One of the toughest parts was breaking through the annoying "checker farm pattern" that happens when you have large tracts of irrigated grassland with no wilderness or tree tiles in them.

[quote]However, I think there is something wrong in Dorne. After a few turns, all the desert has been turned into farmland.[/quote]
Yes, that bothers me as well. I have thought of:
- disabling farmland buildings for the Martell faction
- changing the appearance of the desert versions of the farmland textures

[quote]Considering there isn't much at all to build, I ended the game with $400k, so maybe something needs to be done about that.[/quote]
Yeah, stormbringer also mentioned this. I think it's because the king's purse was set at 3000 dragons IIRC but that was to boost the Greyjoy player. In the patched version the Greyjoy's have only 400 dragons/turn as king's purse so money should be a bit harder to come by. Also, the AI is richer in the patched version. Tell me if the difficulty is too hard...

Thanks, I finally got it working. Lol. I am just an idiot it would seem. One question more though .... I have been playing for like an hour or two and I don't know how to claim Kingship and not many events have been shown. I heard mention of purses or conclaves etc etc ... how do I claim Kingship or possibly witness any other events??

Oh, you spoke of a patched version so where do i get that one or the patch itself?

BTW, your game rocks and this is only the basic beta version. Sweet.

Good to see you got it working. The patch can be downloaded here:

[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=31329"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=31329[/url]

About the kingship: I'll let aeoleron answer that one since he's the architect of the Claim Kingship script. ;)

[quote name='Charming Serpent' post='1534614' date='Sep 28 2008, 15.06']Is it an option that pops up or a tab or something i must select?[/quote]

Yes, the advisor icon will pop up in the left hand corner. You will click the "show me how" option and that will do it. If it doesn't work the first time, just re-click the advisor and then hit the show me how option once again and that should do it.

Note: When you accept this, your conditions of victory will change. Be aware of that as well.

PS: Hey everyone. I'm part of the Mod team and figured i'd pop in and introduce myself. :) I did the faction descriptions and some of the bio's. I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed and enjoy working on it!

[quote name='The Hound's Bastard' post='1534984' date='Sep 29 2008, 03.11']Is there anywhere else i can download this mod? My tinternet went down while i was trying to download it and RapidShare won't let me try download it again.

Also do you need the latest patch for Mtw for this mod to work?[/quote]

I think usually after so many hours or a day that Rapid Share will let u do it again.

So far the mod is amazing!!!

I just had a few questions. So the Northern archers stats are a bit lacking. I thought they were supposed to be longbows? As supported by the novels.

And the Stark town militia, spear militia, and pike militia all cost the same.

The pikes also have an attack of 1. Is that correct? Militia do more damage.

Will the lannisters get the westerland pike unit????

The plauge happens way too often. More than vanilla, and this is westeros not europe!

Well thats just my opinion. Great job guys I cant wait for the next patch. :)

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1540734' date='Oct 2 2008, 16.00']I'm getting a CTD when I try to start M2TW with the mod that simply says "Medieval 2: Total War has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."[/quote]

Anatole, are you running any other mods? Did you do a clean install? If the answer is no to either or just one, I suggest doing it. A clean install is always worth the trouble, IMO.

Note: Mods with their own folders don't have a problem co-existing. Also, if you post a log of your crash, it will help Game and A diggity dog, suss out problem in a more expedient manner.

Archived