Westeros: Total War Beta v0.5 (Updated with Bug Fix)

aeoleron9

Meh, I keep getting to building_battle.txt.strings.bin in my extraction, and then it causes an error and shuts down my extraction program. I've tried it with Vista's extraction program and with Winzip with the same problem. Did I just get a messed up file and should try redownloading?

Edit: I redownloaded the beta and got the same error.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally randomly, the Westeros: Total War mod beta has found its way onto the PC Gamer UK cover disk this month. Sort of cool, although it would have been nice of them to contact us. Or ask someone permission. But that means the mod just reached a much bigger audience.

Nice job on this mod! I had been following the progress on this for some time back when Marcus had been on board. Thrilled that you guys actually got a working version posted. Looks fantastic - downloading now. Thanks again for sharing this and keep up the fantastic work!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Guys great job you did there!!!

I have one problem though: As soon as i click on any of the stark generals around winterfell the game crashes.
Same with Stannis' general next to dragonstone. The other factions work fine.

Anyone else have the same problem or an idea how to solve this?

Bit of a long response time here, but:

Most of the issues people have with the mod seem to be related to not having the latest, patched version of the game; having other mods installed which alter key game files so the Westeros mod can't use them; or not installing the mod correctly.

Generally, a clean install of [i]Medieval 2[/i] followed by patching up to the latest release version and then installing the mod following the instructions to the letter seems to solve most of the problems.

Hey, awesome mod, been playing for hours, dropped my first campaign in vanilla to play this :)

I have a question, is the most kingship the greyjoys recieve just king of the isles? I think it would be sweet if the kingly factions could take control of the iron throne by deposing whoever held it at the time. I thought this would happen because of the scribes message saying this is bad if you want to be king of all westeros. Then victory conditions could change to holding King's Landing as well, and maybe 30 provinces. Also i think there should be more victory conditions like the greyjoys should have to hold Winterfell, and maybe the lannisters have to hold Harrenhal, and the tyrells have to hold starfall or sunspear. Just some ideas :)

• 1 month later...
[b]Current Status Report[/b]

The mod isn't dead, but things have gone fairly quiet. Several team members have gone inactive due to RL concerns. Fortunately this has happened since the beta went out and not before. The beta has attracted some moderate attention in the [b]Total War[/b] community and interest in helping it along seems to be picking up. Getting magazine attention has also been interesting. A new skinner has just started work on the Tyrell faction (his first attempt is [url="http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Zulag/Screenshots/tyrell.png"]here[/url] and looks good so far).

The primary home for the mod is now [url="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721"]TWCenter[/url], and there is more activity going on over there.

Well Werthead, it appears the team is working in Martin Time... akin to [url="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time"]Valve Time[/url]. This is not surprising since Martin Time is obviously the time used in asoiaf :P

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Silverius' post='1684179' date='Feb 12 2009, 14.43']Well Werthead, it appears the team is working in Martin Time... akin to [url="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time"]Valve Time[/url]. This is not surprising since Martin Time is obviously the time used in asoiaf :P[/quote]

True. But I think the modders having real lives and jobs also means that time for the mod is also limited, especially when the actual organisers keeping have RL issues keeping them off the project for weeks at a time.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The mod team leader, DarkStar, has returned to the fray after several months working on other projects. Although this adds fresh impetus to the project, we are still in need of 3D modellers/skinners and 2D graphics experts to assist. Any help greatfully received.

My spare time is almost non-existent because I'm in art school and in the process of making my demo reel but I can help, although there would be a serious question of how much I would be able to do. It might only be one or two things but it's really difficult to say for certain..

As far as what I could help with, concept art, textures, character/environment modeling, and uv mapping.

Here's some links to some of my 2d and 3d work:

(will take awhile to load everything)

2d (drawings/paintings): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164414

(most of this 3d work is from over an year ago)

3d (character models): http://www.artery.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=974

I'm not sure if you ever heard of the Half-life mod Day of Defeat or Day of Defeat for Source, but you can see some of my work there as well (weapon and player textures for Day of Defeat mod for HL1, and weapon and prop textures for Day of Defeat: Source).

My email is tb0ne [at] hotmail.com

My spare time is almost non-existent because I'm in art school and in the process of making my demo reel but I can help, although there would be a serious question of how much I would be able to do. It might only be one or two things but it's really difficult to say for certain..

As far as what I could help with, concept art, textures, character/environment modeling, and uv mapping.

Here's some links to some of my 2d and 3d work:

(will take awhile to load everything)

2d (drawings/paintings): http://www.conceptar...ad.php?t=164414

(most of this 3d work is from over an year ago)

3d (character models): http://www.artery.ca....php?f=12&t=974

I'm not sure if you ever heard of the Half-life mod Day of Defeat or Day of Defeat for Source, but you can see some of my work there as well (weapon and player textures for Day of Defeat mod for HL1, and weapon and prop textures for Day of Defeat: Source).

My email is tb0ne [at] hotmail.com

Excellent work, Tb0ne. I've passed your details to the mod leader, Darkstar. Discussion about the mod and what is needed is ongoing here.

Thanks Wert and Dat

I spoke to Darkstar and he said you guys need a model for the Giants. Honestly that's what I was hoping he would say :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to start it for about two weeks because that's when I have my break between terms.

Most of the issues people have with the mod seem to be related to not having the latest, patched version of the game; having other mods installed which alter key game files so the Westeros mod can't use them; or not installing the mod correctly.

Generally, a clean install of Medieval 2 followed by patching up to the latest release version and then installing the mod following the instructions to the letter seems to solve most of the problems.

Do you think having Third Age installed will affect it?

Do you think having Third Age installed will affect it?

No, not at all. Both Third Age and Westeros are foldered mods, and can coexist alongside one another with no problem ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Love the mod! Except I am really terrible. I always find myself doing well with the Starks only all of a sudden I am outnumbered like crazy I'd always be doing well against the Lannisters and then Arryn attacks the Twins(which I conquered) for like no reason! I just started a Greyjoy campaign, doing good so far. Except Lannisters randomly attacked me right after it said our relations improved.

Archived