MLB THREAD

Caliban

[quote name='Caliban' post='1529392' date='Sep 24 2008, 08.19'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU&feature=related"]This is a special season.[/url][/quote]

Now we just need to win the whole damn thing. :P Heard this last week when it was being played on 670 and 720 and a couple other stations talking about it.

Eddie Vedder a Cubs fan? Well, wouldn't you be if you lived in Seattle? ;)

[quote name='Caliban' post='1529392' date='Sep 24 2008, 08.19'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU&feature=related"]This is a special season.[/url][/quote]

Bah.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzwNdTVHJo&feature=related"]Bah[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAoP1vYZUTQ"]Bah[/url]

[quote name='Jhogo's Evil Twin' post='1530556' date='Sep 24 2008, 20.22']what the hell happened to the lead!

i change the channel for 30 minutes and the score is tied
they better not do a repeat of last years collapse[/quote]

The mets and crew are having a collapsoff. Unfortunately this year the rockies suck and cant keep them both out.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1530574' date='Sep 24 2008, 20.31']Just? Are you watching the ESPN broadcast? Because CIU's been showing him all night long.[/quote]
I don't know if Cal lives in the city or not, but we don't get the ESPN broadcast here, just ESPN News during the game. We only get the WCIU (or whichever station has the broadcast that night).

If you were watching the ESPN broadcast the whole game, then you missed out on some real Len and Bob gems there in the tenth. They started making fun of the shell-shocked expressions on Mets fans faces. Pure comedy, those two.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1530752' date='Sep 24 2008, 22.57']I hate Carlos Zambrano. Such a cockhead. He won't find any semblance of consistency until he gets his emotions under control.[/quote]
I agree with you on the last part, but I don't get why that makes you hate him. Passion for the game irritates you?

ETA: Whoops, Jax, I misread your post there. Thought you said you'd been watching ESPN.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1530752' date='Sep 24 2008, 23.57']I hate Carlos Zambrano. Such a cockhead. He won't find any semblance of consistency until he gets his emotions under control.[/quote][i]

"I'm trying not to be too cocky," ... "I'm trying to do my work, and do everything that's possible to lead this team to where we're supposed to go"[/i]

[quote name='add-on' post='1530768' date='Sep 25 2008, 00.11']I agree with you on the last part, but I don't get why that makes you hate him. Passion for the game irritates you?

ETA: Whoops, Jax, I misread your post there. Thought you said you'd been watching ESPN.[/quote]
Yes, passion for the game irritates me. :rolleyes:

If that's where the rebuttal starts then the discussion isn't worth it.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1530770' date='Sep 24 2008, 21.14']If that's where the rebuttal starts then the discussion isn't worth it.[/quote]
It's not like calling someone a "cockhead" was particularly enlightening as to what aspect of his emotional control issues bothered you so much. Does he throw tantrums? Does he cry? Does he get emotionally distant and not return his catcher's affection? Without any specifics, too much passion would be a logical first assumption to make.

[quote name='add-on' post='1530768' date='Sep 25 2008, 00.11']I agree with you on the last part, but I don't get why that makes you hate him. [u]Passion for the game irritates you[/u]?[/quote]
[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1530778' date='Sep 25 2008, 00.22']Without any specifics, [u]too much passion[/u] would be a logical first assumption to make.[/quote]
Different.

Cal, a quote from him saying he's trying not to be too cocky doesn't mean shit to me. Schilling probably doesn't think he has a big head himself either. Zambrano's performances after his no-hitter have been absolutely terrible. Yelling at the umpire tonight while he is pitching like shit is just obnoxious. He somehow seems to think he deserves calls, that he has earned them or something because he didn't get a bad call that inning. Still haven't forgiven him for the absurd number of times that he's shown up his own teammates, whether that was this year or not. You never do that.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1530785' date='Sep 24 2008, 21.29']Different.[/quote]
Oh I know, but I try to keep the "S" word out of sports threads. These are supposed to be fun. And the point was, I didn't know what you meant at all from your initial post, as I just hardly ever see this guy play.

[quote]Cal, a quote from him saying he's trying not to be too cocky doesn't mean shit to me. Schilling probably doesn't think he has a big head himself either. Zambrano's performances after his no-hitter have been absolutely terrible. Yelling at the umpire tonight while he is pitching like shit is just obnoxious. He somehow seems to think he deserves calls, that he has earned them or something because he didn't get a bad call that inning. Still haven't forgiven him for the absurd number of times that he's shown up his own teammates, whether that was this year or not. You never do that.[/quote]
Now I got it. So he's like Terrell Owens then.

[quote name='add-on' post='1530768' date='Sep 24 2008, 23.11']I don't know if Cal lives in the city or not, but we don't get the ESPN broadcast here, just ESPN News during the game. We only get the WCIU (or whichever station has the broadcast that night).

If you were watching the ESPN broadcast the whole game, then you missed out on some real Len and Bob gems there in the tenth. They started making fun of the shell-shocked expressions on Mets fans faces. Pure comedy, those two.[/quote]

No, I live in the city. Im not sure why i was accused by somebody in wisconsin of watching ESPN over the local feed. I didnt see Murray until the kings of leon montage when Brenly said they are his new favorite band. Gotta love Bob's attempts at being cutting edge. And yea, Len and Bob crack me up from time to time, but Bob's proclivity to opine hit and run makes me glad hes in the booth and not the dugout. Len is good. Mainsteam media guys with a solid grasp of prefered baseball metrics are hard to find but his high pitched "Oh Baby" make me long for the chip caray "swung on belted".

Chip is still my favorite TV play guy of all time. My favorite booth was Chip and Stoney but those days are over. Stone can fuck himself in his ego inflated face. Steve Stone and Hawk are about to make the most egotistical booth in the history of baseball. Its going to be insanely annoying. Insanely.

Weak,

I have problems with Z also, but 'cockhead' is a little overboard. He is animated so when he shows up a player (barret, theriot, walker) its more obviuous then the typical pitcher showing up a player (which happens). But to say hes never gonna be consistant is kinda dumb. If I were you Id pray Lester has gthe same next 5 years as Z's last 5.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1530815' date='Sep 25 2008, 01.03']Weak,

I have problems with Z also, but 'cockhead' is a little overboard. He is animated so when he shows up a player (barret, theriot, walker) its more obviuous then the typical pitcher showing up a player (which happens). But to say hes never gonna be consistant is kinda dumb. If I were you Id pray Lester has gthe same next 5 years as Z's last 5.[/quote]

No it isn't. Being more noticeable and disrespectful is the problem. Saying he is going to be consistent when he has these glaring issues is kinda dumb. Lester out-pitched Zambrano this year in a tougher league, so I'd say he's well on his way.

I didn't think Zambrano pitched all that poorly last night. Mind you, it wasn't hard to rise up from the last start. But his velocity was back up in the 92-93-94 range, his slider was biting (most of the time) and he was somewhat consistent throughout.

Now, that being said, last night, as opposed to the no hitter night, he was throwing and not pitching. The throwing got worse with some crappy umping behind the plate. Crappy umping that had it's effect felt on both starters. Bob even commented that the home plate ump was still trying to find the strike zone well into the third inning.

Archived