MLB THREAD

Caliban

Dear Baseball Gods,

Please bless the bats and arms of the Cubs and Nats this weekend. I will be eternally grateful.

Sincerely,
Your humble servant.

PS: Can you also make sure the black cat stays in its cage until the playoffs begin? Thanks.

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1532112' date='Sep 25 2008, 23.50']Dear Baseball Gods,

Please bless the bats and arms of the Cubs and[b] Nats[/b] this weekend. I will be eternally grateful.[/quote]

The Baseball Gods have their limits you know.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1532401' date='Sep 26 2008, 09.52']The Baseball Gods have their limits you know.[/quote]

So you think I should sacrifice a few more virgins then?

How about some politicians? And a handful of pundits?

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1532408' date='Sep 26 2008, 09.57']So you think I should sacrifice a few more virgins then?

How about some politicians? And a handful of pundits?[/quote]

Instead of trying to help the Nationals, which is like trying to give sight to the blind, you may seek to curse the Brewers instead.

Pour a glass of rum for Jobu.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1532410' date='Sep 26 2008, 10.00']Better chance of spoiler this weekend: Nationals or Royals?[/quote]

Think the weather has a better chance than either.

Anyone know: If the White Sox win 2 of 3 while the Twins lose 2 of 3 this weekend and the Sox end up 1/2 game up, they're still required to play their make-up game against the Tigers on Monday, right?

[quote]Think the weather has a better chance than either.[/quote]

Oh? Is it raining on the East Coast today? :P

After watching the game last night, I realized that Ryan Church looks suspiciously like Mr. X.

You doing a little moonlighting? Unlike the comics, you know, simply wearing glasses isn't fooling anyone.

I read a little quote today from Ralph Nader, who'd recently had an interview with editors of the Washington Post to complain that they are not covering his presidential campaign. The reason cited is that he has no chance of winning. Nader is said to have replied, "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"

When Ralph Nader's slagging on you, that's a pretty tough lot.

On the other hand, life isn't that much better here at the other end of 295. Really the only thing separating this year from the complete embarrassment that was the end of last season was a single loss of the magnitude of 30-3. The sportswriters around here are quick to note that the Orioles are on pace to possibly take the Triple Crown of bad pitching - leading the league in walks, hit batsmen and wild pitches. Ouch.

Dear Baseball Gods,

It seems that the sanctified bats you had sent to the Nationals somehow got lost in transit somewhere. Maybe if you had checked the tracking number, things might have turned out differently. In any case, please bestow further blessings upon the Cubs... just for one more day, though. We don't want to get carried away and have them win the NLDS or anything.

Thanks again.

With warm regards,
Your lowly servant

PS: In all seriousness, congrats to the Phils. You guys deserved it.

I'll be the first to say, congratulations Moose. Finally got a 20-win season. He's a classy guy and even though I was bummed to see him go to the Yankes, I've still always been a fan (and he served up weaksauce to Manny all the time :)). The one big mar on his record for the hall of fame is gone and he is definitely a stronger bet to get in (for better or for worse).

Tough shit today for the Mets, that is really brutal. As amazing as Santana was yesterday, Sabathia has been even better. He's catapulted himself into super stardom and I will always wish him nothing but the best after what he's done this year. Absolutely unbelievable.

Well damn. Fucking Mets Bullpen. They'd be an exceptional team if they had even a single reliever worth a damn.

Ah well. This means I will pass my classes. My Phillie-fan flatmate will fail.

So, allegiance switching time: Go Cubbies! Go NL!
May the DH-utilizing scum feel the error of their ways underneath the bat of Carlos Zambrano!

[quote name='Dinsdale!' post='1534648' date='Sep 28 2008, 18.48']Well damn. Fucking Mets Bullpen. They'd be an exceptional team if they had even a single reliever worth a damn.[/quote]
But they only scored 2 runs today...so even if the bullpen kept the score the same it would've been tied. You gotta put some more runs across the plate than just 2.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1534651' date='Sep 28 2008, 18.53']But they only scored 2 runs today...so even if the bullpen kept the score the same it would've been tied. You gotta put some more runs across the plate than just 2.[/quote]

I was retrospecting upon the season.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1529511' date='Sep 24 2008, 10.19']Now we just need to win the whole damn thing. :P Heard this last week when it was being played on 670 and 720 and a couple other stations talking about it.

Eddie Vedder a Cubs fan? Well, wouldn't you be if you lived in Seattle? ;)[/quote]

Eddie Vedder is originally from Evanston, is an ENORMOUS Bulls fan and still has family in the area, so it does make sense :P

Anywho, Go Alexi, what a 135lb stud!

Congrats White Sox. I'm not sure who to root for tomorrow now. I was going to be rooting for the Twins because I am a big fan of them...Alexei Ramirez, however, is a pretty exciting player. Still rooting for the Twins because I think I like their playoff chances against Tampa a bit more I think.

Archived