MLB THREAD

Caliban

Phils take the first game from the Rays. Not that unexpected considering how shaky Kazmir has been and how rock solid Hamels has been. I still think the Rays win the series, but I am not sure they beat Cole Hamels in the series.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1561457' date='Oct 20 2008, 09.51'][b]God I hate the Rays.
[/b]
Liked 'em better as unlovable losers. I'm sure the 17 fans who'd been there all along are pretty psyched by this though.[/quote]
But why? Is it just because the majority of the fans you hear shaking the cowbells are fairweather fans who really couldn't give a shit about baseball or their team? Because I could understand hating the fans for that, but not hating the team. I like 'em. I like their youth, and I like the way they can beat you with speed or with power. I like that they have a solid rotation that can get things done while lacking an "Ace". I like that they've been able to do all this winning despite the fact they don't employ a regular closer.

Tell me, why do you hate them?

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1564756' date='Oct 23 2008, 07.42']I completely forgot the WS was on last night. I doubt Id have tuned in though.[/quote]
And why is there a perceived East Coast bias? Because the majority of the country doesn't give a shit about the most of the other teams.

eta- Particularly interesting because the Phillies are actually a pretty deserving team from the NL and the Rays are clearly the elite of the AL. This isn't just a WS with some average teams that snuck into the playoffs and got hot (cough, Rockies, cough).

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1564758' date='Oct 23 2008, 07.48']And why is there a perceived [s]East Coast[/s] [b]Boston/New York [/b]bias? Because the majority of the country doesn't give a shit about the most of the other teams.[/quote]

Shockingly, though, both Philadelphia and Tampa are probably "East Coast" teams (yes, Tampa's not actually on the coast, its close enough). I'd love to see Bud Selig's reaction to the TV ratings, considering he came fairly close to getting a Boston/LA match up.

[quote name='Piper' post='1564762' date='Oct 23 2008, 08.01']Shockingly, though, both Philadelphia and Tampa are probably "East Coast" teams (yes, Tampa's not actually on the coast, its close enough). I'd love to see Bud Selig's reaction to the TV ratings, considering he came fairly close to getting a Boston/LA match up.[/quote]When someone says "East Coast bias" everyone knows exactly what is meant, don't be a pain in the ass.

I only care about his reaction if it is anything but excitement for these two teams and particularly for the Rays considering what that franchise has been through the last 10 years. I'd be pretty disgusted if he publicly rooted for teams simply for ratings instead of preserving the integrity of the game and its competition.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1564758' date='Oct 23 2008, 07.48']And why is there a perceived East Coast bias? Because the majority of the country doesn't give a shit about the most of the other teams.

eta- Particularly interesting because the Phillies are actually a pretty deserving team from the NL and the Rays are clearly the elite of the AL. This isn't just a WS with some average teams that snuck into the playoffs and got hot (cough, Rockies, cough).[/quote]

Im just not interested in either of these teams, other than I do think rather highly of Maddon ever since his days as a bench coach with Angels. Once the Dodgers got eliminated my mind completely shifted to football.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1564768' date='Oct 23 2008, 08.10']When someone says "East Coast bias" everyone knows exactly what is meant, don't be a pain in the ass.[/quote]
Sorry, just thought it was an interesting point.
[quote]I only care about his reaction if it is anything but excitement for these two teams and particularly for the Rays considering what that franchise has been through the last 10 years. I'd be pretty disgusted if he publicly rooted for teams simply for ratings instead of preserving the integrity of the game and its competition.[/quote]
I think Selig can root for whomever he chooses, (especially now that the Brewers are out). I don't think there's anything wrong with the commissioner (personally) rooting for the match up that will get the biggest ratings for the sport he presides over, so long as nothing underhanded goes on. I just hope that MLB can package the success of the Rays into a better, overall major league baseball product.

In a way I'm sure he's vindicated that Tampa made it, that expansion was looking like a possible mistake on his part, the way attendance and and wins seemed so hard to come by for that team.

But if you think Selig's in it for more than making the owners more money, then I think we have very different conceptions of Bud Selig

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1564768' date='Oct 23 2008, 07.10']When someone says "East Coast bias" everyone knows exactly what is meant, don't be a pain in the ass.[/quote]
:lol: I love it when Week gets cranky, even if I happen to be the target of that crankiness at times.

[quote name='add-on' post='1564803' date='Oct 23 2008, 09.00']:lol: I love it when Week gets cranky, even if I happen to be the target of that crankiness at times.[/quote]
:P, it has been a long week. Everyone here knows I love 'em. Except YW. Fuck him. :)

[quote name='Cocomaan' post='1564855' date='Oct 23 2008, 10.06']The Phils rule your world, YW. Even if you don't watch them.

Nobody is ridiculously outstanding on the team (closest to that description is Hamels), but they play well as a team. As opposed to a team like LA, that relied on Manny all the time.[/quote]

Well I would counter with, Manny was a stud surrounded on a team full of overachieving kids. I mean until Manny got there, realistically while I was excited about the young club, I didnt think they had a chance in hell at making the playoffs let alone to the NLCS.

Dodgers are making an offer to Manny for about the same amount of money as A-Rod but less years than Manny wants. Hopefully he takes it.

ETA: And you're crazy if you dont think Utley is outstanding. Dude is fucking money.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1561746' date='Oct 20 2008, 14.45']Anyway, Phils in 6, and they [b]steal "home field advantage" right out of the gate in game 1[/b]. Unfortunately, they give it back in game 4 and won't be able to close it out in Philadelphia.[/quote]
OK, part one accomplished.

Would love to see the Phils win it all, but if they can win it playing at home, you can cancel your Philadelphia appointments for the next week or so. No one will be answering their phones.

Archived