The Office

Aemon Stark

So, it begins anew!

I've already seen the whole episode, thanks to Global (clearly interfering with Survivor would've been impossible :rolleyes:), and predictably really liked it. Thoughts? I actually missed most of season four, but so far so good with this one.

(holding back further comments until it's over)

Okay, first off - poor Toby!! He can't catch a break (so to speak).

Have gotten ridiculously into The Office over the last few months (thanks to Netflix Watch Instantly option). Think it gets so many of the little things right, like how everyone in the office relates to one another. Could easily be over the top but it's the little things that keep it ground. I know it's old hat to those who've been watching for years or are intimately familiar with the British original, but there's a subtle brilliance to the video confessional conceit and what they do with it. Carrell's good, Rainn Wilson is great but in my view Creed Bratton is maybe the most awesome minor character of all time.

Anyway, thought the first episode was quite good. Have only watched seasons 1-3, and I hear there was a drop in quality in season 4, but I didn't see any here. Jim and Pam still provide the relatable center of the show...I didn't see any Ross-Rachel in this episode. All in all it's like well done comfort food and I'm glad it's back.

Yay, it was great! I used to not be a fan, having only seen like 2 episodes, but my sister watches it so when I stayed with her this summer I started and ended up watching straight through seasons 3&4 and I absolutely love it now! Tonight's show was great. Jim!! At a gas station!!!

And poor Toby! I always felt bad for him, and now this...

I'm also a late comer to the Office have been getting caught up on TBS and web viewings. I have an odd crush on persnicketty ice queen Angela and loved her in tonight's episode. Her pager booty calls were hilarious as was her cold answer to the interviewer's question on "How do you sleep at night", probably in regards to being engaged to Andy but boning Dwight...

"I have a nice comfortable and several cozy pillows. I usually read a chapter of a book at night and then its lights out at 8:30. THAT'S how I sleep at night!" :rofl:

lol, I also like how Phyllis blackmailed angela to gain contol of the party committee

I had hoped that they would keep the joke of HR Holly thinking Kevin was mentally challenged going longer.

only lame part of the episode I thought was bringing Ryan back how they did, though I loved how they busted his chops and his enemies list.

[quote name='Trebla' post='1532052' date='Sep 25 2008, 22.45']"I have a nice comfortable and several cozy pillows. I usually read a chapter of a book at night and then its lights out at 8:30. THAT'S how I sleep at night!" :rofl:[/quote]

That was hilarious...it took me a second to get it, because I'm slow, but very funny.

[quote]I had hoped that they would keep the joke of HR Holly thinking Kevin was mentally challenged going longer.[/quote]

I think I about died during that scene. Everyone (there were about 10 of us watching in the wardroom) was laughing so hard we missed most of the next several lines.

I thought a lot of the episode worked, including (in fact, especially) Ryan's less-than-triumphant return to Scranton. I love his entirely phony attempt to be humble ("I guess I never really processed 9/11"), the back-and-forth with Jim over his court-mandated community service, the facial hair decisions, the enemies list, all of it. Also the gas station proposal, which was really incredibly sweet. Amy Ryan continues to be fantastic.

If I had a complaint, it's that the over-the-top stuff, like Dwight leaving Phyllis in the bad part of town or Michael in his fat suit, didn't really work much at all. Increasingly, it seems like it's harder for the writers to come up with wacky stuff for them to do that doesn't feel incredibly false. (The more understated material with Steve Carrell and Amy Ryan is great, and they have fantastic chemistry.)

I did like the return of Ryan - as a temp - what will become of him when Pam returns?

I absolutely loved Jim's proposal scene... I don't think I've ever seen a TV couple as believable and sweet as Jim and Pam.

This episode was great from the very start, from Pam's apparent 200+ lbs weight to Kelly's diet. I wonder what Creed actually fed her.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1532102' date='Sep 25 2008, 23.40']I did like the return of Ryan - as a temp - what will become of him when Pam returns?[/quote]

Working in the storeroom with Darryl? At least, I can dream...

BTW, what was the thing about Toby? I missed the first couple of minutes, and one of my housemates wanted to be chatty at one point in the middle, so I guess I missed it.

Hehe

Toby was revealed to have broken his neck (:() a mere three days after arriving in Costa Rica. We see him in the hospital watching Entourage in Spanish... after five weeks in hospital. It was the very last scene and so sad! I hope he recovers alright...

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Put me in the camp that wished they would have kept Holly thinking Kevin was retarded for longer.

I loved the scene where they were all on the scale and then made Pam get off and Daryll announces the weight and you can tell that everyone starts doing the math. :lol:

Poor Dwight started growing that pathetic goatee.

I agree that some of the over the top stuff, like Michael's Klump suit are overdone. I mean, he's naive, but ripping up the Counting Crows tickets? Making him that stupid is almost an insult to the plotline of the show.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1532705' date='Sep 26 2008, 11.48']Poor Dwight started growing that pathetic goatee.

I agree that some of the over the top stuff, like Michael's Klump suit are overdone. I mean, he's naive, but ripping up the Counting Crows tickets? Making him that stupid is almost an insult to the plotline of the show.[/quote]
I was hoping that Michael would have tried playing the friend card and Ryan would have slipped in and asked to go with the concert with her, being new in town and all. That would have been awkward, funny and interesting in my mind. Michael ripping up the tickets "works" but not that realistic....

Still love the series and the episode was a win for me.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1532021' date='Sep 25 2008, 22.21']in my view Creed Bratton is maybe the most awesome minor character of all time.[/quote]

I totally agree. My favorite line last night was Kelly "I swallowed a Tape worm that Creed got in Mexico" and then cut to Creed, "That wasnt a tape worm"

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1532073' date='Sep 25 2008, 23.12']I've loved the Office for years now, but tonight's episode threw me off a bit. I've been super excited all summer for it, but it left me underwhelmed.[/quote]

I agree. I didnt think it was that funny overall. Glad the Pam and Jim proposal is out of the way though.

I wonder if the guy from Mad Men thats in class with Pam is going to cause problems for the happy couple?

I watched and thought last night was terrific. I enjoyed the back and forth betwen Michael and the new HR manager- its cool and uncomfortable, but without being dumb.

I really enjoy that Pam and Jim are a good couple who are the normal ones while everyone else is mega-crazy. The standard TV sitcom sterotype is that the couple is sorta nuts, but here they nail it- the normal ones- the adults -are getting martried while everyone else is off.

[quote]Creed Bratton is maybe the most awesome minor character of all time[/quote]

:agree:

I liked the episode where Dwight thinks Jim is a vampire and asks Creed for wooden stakes, and Creed responds, "What size?" and he has a drawer full of them.

What I actaully really like about the last few epsidoes is that the ultra-awkwardness has been removed. At some point last season, some of the realtionships and actions of the characters were well above "over the top" and started to be a game of rediculous one-upsmanship. The WORST was the diner party with Michael and Jan; the awkwardness is one thing- the problem is that NOBODY acts like that, under almost any circumstance. It was pretty out there, and not in a good way. I like how they toned all that down. Michael's new interest is as dorky as he is and it works. And at the same time, their hijinx are still interesting and fun (I liked that Dwight made Phyllis walk 10 miles).

Case-in-point, the fat-suit scene was crazy, over the top, but also the FUNNIEST line was not stupid ("I am so glad I decided not to rent"). That works.

The show is great for almost the exact reason why people liked Cheers- the ensamble cast that has many differnt story archs and directions, and they abuse them at their leisure.

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1532771' date='Sep 26 2008, 13.25']I totally agree. My favorite line last night was Kelly "I swallowed a Tape worm that Creed got in Mexico" and then cut to Creed, "That wasnt a tape worm"[/quote]

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1532852' date='Sep 26 2008, 14.16']I liked the episode where Dwight thinks Jim is a vampire and asks Creed for wooden stakes, and Creed responds, "What size?" and he has a drawer full of them.[/quote]

:rofl:

Makes me laugh just thinking about him. Love that Creed Bratton is played by...Creed Bratton. And that the actor was actually a 60s hippie rockstar, a member of The Grass Roots, and that Creed the character is a take on that same guy later in life: missing a few screws from probably too much drug use.

[quote]The show is great for almost the exact reason why people liked Cheers- the ensamble cast that has many differnt story archs and directions, and they abuse them at their leisure.[/quote]

That's a good point. Comes from the show knowing these characters intimately. Every single person in the office is able to generate a laugh out loud moment, even the classic straight players, like Phyllis and Toby because for all their quirks they come off as real and a little bit tragic.

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1532778' date='Sep 26 2008, 13.30']I wonder if the guy from Mad Men thats in class with Pam is going to cause problems for the happy couple?[/quote]
Most definitely. I'm going to throw out a prediction that Pam conceals her engagement ring around her new art school friends, and this leads to trouble...

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1532887' date='Sep 26 2008, 15.37']Most definitely. I'm going to throw out a prediction that Pam conceals her engagement ring around her new art school friends, and this leads to trouble...[/quote]

I kinda doubt this - Pam won't actually be in New York that much longer and I think the scenes in last night's show were just a bit of misdirection.

Archived