The Office

Aemon Stark

Creed's hair suddenly appearing black around the same time toner in office goes missing. His way of looking younger to avoid being the old guy to get the axe. Or his brilliant way of pinning the blame on the lady from the other warehouse who out sick the day the obscene watermark went out on the paper. He of course had just picked that particular YEAR not to do quality checks. :rofl:

Michael's over the top scenes do make me cringe sometimes but I know they serve a purpose of they "don'ts!!" of the show. Yet his almost innocent callousness is rather endearing.

The Cheers comparison that Rock made is a great one. Every character is funny in their own way. Thrilled that I found this show this summer.

Loved the ep. I didn't think Jim was going to propose so quickly in the season, or even at all; I wouldn't have been surprised to see him and Pam start to drift apart. Still, it was a touching scene.

And I'm looking forward to the friction that's certain to happen once Jen discovers that Michael is smitten with Holly. Given how she all but spit and hissed at Pam least season when there was nothing to be worried about, she ought to go ballistic when she finds Michael flirting with Holly.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1533052' date='Sep 26 2008, 16.22']And I'm looking forward to the friction that's certain to happen once Jen discovers that Michael is smitten with Holly. Given how she all but spit and hissed at Pam least season when there was nothing to be worried about, she ought to go ballistic when she finds Michael flirting with Holly.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this. The Michael-Holly storyline with strong chance of Jan love triangle is, in my mind, the most exciting part of the upcoming season. I'll throw out another prediction, that Michael is going to end up in a room with Jan and Holly, desperately trying to find some way to not have to publicly declare for one of them, and do something appalling.

hilarious episode. i have to say that i was skeptical of the Office back when it started, because i loved the BBC version and the first season was a straight rip but since season 2 this has become the funniest shit on tv.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1531922' date='Sep 25 2008, 22.11']So, it begins anew!

I've already seen the whole episode, thanks to Global (clearly interfering with Survivor would've been impossible :rolleyes:), and predictably really liked it. Thoughts? I actually missed most of season four, but so far so good with this one.

(holding back further comments until it's over)

Okay, first off - poor Toby!! He can't catch a break (so to speak).[/quote]

I caught it on Global too. We were laughing because they messed it up. It started at what would be after the first commercial break, and we didn't know what was going on. I was wondering if we missed something from last season, then all of a sudden it started rewinding on tv back to the actual beginning. Then survivor cut in for a sec. I think someone was smoking a fat one down at Global.

I liked the episode a lot. I only started watching the show a couple seasons ago. One of these days, I'll have to get the first seasons, so I can see them all.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1533058' date='Sep 26 2008, 16.26']Yeah, I'm looking forward to this. The Michael-Holly storyline with strong chance of Jan love triangle is, in my mind, the most exciting part of the upcoming season. I'll throw out another prediction, that Michael is going to end up in a room with Jan and Holly, desperately trying to find some way to not have to publicly declare for one of them, and do something appalling.[/quote]

Didn't we see something like that before, when Michael had a party thrown in the delivery/storage area and Jen was there along with one of Michael's exes? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Wasn't overly impressed tonight. There is something about the Holly-Michael thing that just doesn't work for me. Maybe because Michael is a giant bag of douche and I can only deal with that in small doses. Meredith though...:rofl:

And as always, LOVE JIM! The part about Battlestar Galactica...priceless! And I started laughing way before most other people I was watching it with, because they weren't nerdy enough to get it until the Dumbledore references started getting thrown around. :)

Still, got several good laughs and there's always next week to be better!

Battlestar Galactica part was great, Jim and Dwight=gold.

I like the Holly and Michael romance, he has no clue about what he is doing, and she can actually tolerate him and finds him funny. I hope the keep her around longer. I wonder what Michael will do at Jim and Pam's wedding.

Really fun episode. The Michael-Holly dispute didn't really grab me (though I liked how it was resolved, heh heh), but Jim and Dwight were pure gold. "I haven't done any work today... Watching Dwight is exhausting." :lol: You could all but [i]feel[/i] Dwight having to restrain himself several times over from leaping into the conversation to correct Jim when he was talking about Battlestar Galactica and Harry Potter... :D Oh, and Dwight's comment about Andy being cuckolded by a "stronger man" was pretty funny too.

I loved Oscars line about the "ethics training". "This isn't Ethics training it is just a clarification of the Corporate shoplifting policy." Later he was proved right when the HR manager yelled at Holly about firing Meredith because she was sleeping with a supplier for a discount. Welcome to corporate america Holly!

The Battlestar Galactica exchange was priceless. I've got a couple of co-workers who would have the same problem as Dwight in that situation.

Oh and yes, my favorite part of that "cuckolded by a stronger man" thing was Angela's meaningful glance at the camera.

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1550898' date='Oct 10 2008, 11.07']I loved Oscars line about the "ethics training". "This isn't Ethics training it is just a clarification of the Corporate shoplifting policy." Later he was proved right when the HR manager yelled at Holly about firing Meredith because she was sleeping with a supplier for a discount. Welcome to corporate america Holly![/quote]Holly is just about as naive as Michael is. I think that they are both rather idealistic about how the corporate world should be and they get frustrated when it does turn out to be that way.

Really good episode - my favorite part of the Office is the Jim/Pam scenes and I didn't realize that she wasn't even in the episode (except briefly on the phone) until after it was over. The Meredith plot was outstanding and Jim watching Dwight was priceless. If only he had included an opinion on which bear is best into the BG discussion.

I'm so glad to have this show back on, although so far it is a little weaker. Season 2 may have been the pinnacle.

I think Dwight is at the center of the best stuff. The Dwight-Jim rolling battle, the Dwight-Angela-Andy love triangle, the Michael worship (that wispy goatee and the look of disappointment!). Jim and Pam are a good anchor and are still funny after getting together - sometimes losing the will-they-won't-they? kills the show.

Holly is a great addition to reinvigorate the group dynamic, as is the return of Ryan. I'm not sure where they will go with Toby. I also like the quirky depth of the ensemble: Creed chips in some great stuff, Kevin is pretty good, as is Kelly.

More to come about Jan exploiting Michael and the college friend hitting on Pam.

[quote name='Starkess' post='1550359' date='Oct 9 2008, 19.58']There is something about the Holly-Michael thing that just doesn't work for me. Maybe because Michael is a giant bag of douche and I can only deal with that in small doses.[/quote]
I said pretty much this exact thing to my friends last night, and they all looked at me like I was insane. *shugs* I'm not really feeling the whole Holly thing yet. Michael is just so out there and clueless, it's hard for me to believe that he has a female counterpart.

I agree about the Michael Holly thing. I didn't mind what they sort of set up in the finale last season, but these two episodes have me feeling bleh about how they're setting things up. I was enjoying it so much when Micheal was pissed off at her. When he saw her heading for the photocopier and he butts in front and photocopies the picture on the wall, I laughed my ass off. Then of course they got them back respecting each other and it's lame.

It seems the writers are almost shoving it down your throat that Holly is a character who you have to like. It just doesn't come naturally in the good guy Pam or Jim way, or the I understand you are different, and therefore funny in a Micheal or Dwight way. It just seems to be the most forced character that has been introduced so far. I hope she does something to really piss Micheal off. I was hoping they'd run with that for at least a few episodes, but it only lasted like 8 minutes.

I'm only on season II but this show is a total cracker. I might try Arrested Development sometime since I sometimes hear that as far as similar comedies go, this is up there with The Office.

Anyway, excellent stuff. They've managed what seemed very hard to do, and in their own matched the brilliant, super cringeworthy UK series ( which is still a bit stronger but then again they had far fewer episodes they had to fill). I thought the Tim and Dawn romance was better there as well.

Pretty happy with the season so far. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Holly but the writers are setting things up to crash way too quickly. I know she's only guest-ing on the show, but the major ups and downs they're starting to throw in are a bit too much for me. Michael is far from intelligent (he didn't learn to talk till he was 5, after all) but he does have some romance in him, along with an unhealthy dose of desperation, so tearing up CC tickets seemed a bit much for me.

Jim & Dwight are still my favorite aspect of the show. When Jim recounted the time he made Dwight hit himself in the head with a phone (quarters in the handset), I nearly cried from the laughter. So, suffice it to say, Jim's latest gag was awesome.

I'd like to see a little more from Ryan, be it trying to humble himself or trying to make himself important in the workplace. Either way, it could play hilarious.

Archived