College Football 2008

Rhom

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1533679' date='Sep 27 2008, 09.09']A) Root for your opponent in hopes of a post-game let down.
B) Root for their opponent to beat them to smithereens, thereby softening them up for you (but risking a "revenge" game).
C) Figure you're going to get beat anyways and check the countdown clock to basketball season one more time[/quote]

Well... so obviously, the Cats are going for option A on this one. :lol: (Look at me quoting myself... what kind of arrogant prick does that? I had a professor with a couple of published books that used to do it...)

Here's a wonderful little tid-bit I came across on one of my UK blogs I like to frequent:

[quote]Kentucky is 2-33-1 in 36 tries against Alabama since 1917 when we first played the Tide for a record of .069.[/quote]

[i].069[/i] Damn. That's a number I can barely even fathom. Its the worst winning percentage that Kentucky has against any school in the SEC. The Cats last beat them in 1997 when running Slick Hal Mumme's Air Raid version of the Spread Option Offense under Tim Couch.

UK's defense is pretty stout this season. I believe we are still number two nationally in scoring defense. Unfortunately, as is always the case at Kentucky we just don't have the depth to hang with the big boys of the SEC. I would anticipate a fairly low scoring affair until sometime late in the 3rd quarter before Bama just runs away with it.

[quote name='L'Sana' post='1537045' date='Sep 30 2008, 10.18']On a completely unrelated subjecct, I just realized that we missed out on the traditional Late September Freakout from the talking heads. I'm sure everyone has seen this, the time at the end of September when all the good teams are just finishing with their cupcake games, and the guys at ESPN scream in unison, "OMG! We have 12 undefeated teams! What happens if they are all still undefeated at the end of the season? The system is going to crash! We are all doomed! DOOMED, I tell you!" And then at the end of the season somewhere between 0-2 teams are undefeated, and we get no more reference to the September freakout until the next year when it happened again.[/quote]

They were too busy saying that USC was the greatest team ever assembled, could beat most pro teams, were mandated by God, etc.

additionally the collapse of the pac 10 to the mountain west sucked a lot of air out of the late september freakout. and the pac 10 is always screwing with the freakout anyway since they have to start conference play earlier since they play nine conference games, unlike most of the other bcs pussies that can only do 8 ;):P

Wannstache gets another shot at a top 10 team tonight at USF. I hope the Bulls drop a big cow pie on him.

Rutgers comes to Morgantown Saturday. Rutgers has been a mess, it is absolutely imperative that we win this game. Rutgers hasnt beat West Virginia since 1994, and has never beaten us in Morgantown. Things like that make me nervous, its only a matter of time til they get one, right?

I'm going to the NE/MIZZU game Sat. night. I have no illusions about this game. Nebraska is going to be totally outclassed. I'll make noise but won't expect it to make a difference. My only fear is that if Nebraska does manage to win that the crowd will storm the field and grab the goal posts. How pathetic would that be? *sigh*

[quote name='dornish prince' post='1540197' date='Oct 2 2008, 12.24']i'm also nervous, SJ. i never thought i'd say this but i'm truly worried about playing vandy. #19 vandy at that...something else i thought i'd never say :lol:[/quote]

Seriously, strange times indeed. This season is shaping up to be every bit as crazy as the last one, lots of unfamiliar faces in the top 25, and more than a few familair ones are absent.

My only request to the football gods is that we dismantle Pitt. Surely thats not too much to ask. I'm not yet sure if I can make it, but my uncle bought up about 15 tickets and is planning on going up there in a big group. I've never been to a game @ Pitt but I've heard the crowds in the backyard brawl games are usually close to 50/50.

[quote name='S John' post='1540245' date='Oct 2 2008, 12.53']Seriously, strange times indeed. This season is shaping up to be every bit as crazy as the last one, lots of unfamiliar faces in the top 25, and more than a few familair ones are absent.

My only request to the football gods is that we dismantle Pitt. Surely thats not too much to ask. I'm not yet sure if I can make it, but my uncle bought up about 15 tickets and is planning on going up there in a big group. I've never been to a game @ Pitt but I've heard the crowds in the backyard brawl games are usually close to 50/50.[/quote]

that's awesome! i hope you get to make the trip, SJ :cheers:

[quote name='dornish prince' post='1540197' date='Oct 2 2008, 12.24']i'm also nervous, SJ. i never thought i'd say this but i'm truly worried about playing vandy. #19 vandy at that...something else i thought i'd never say :lol:[/quote]

I would say that's a justifiable fear. To beat Vandy, you will have to put up points. Even with that monster defense, Vandy is going to score and as of yet, Auburn has not shown the ability to score in bunches.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1540367' date='Oct 2 2008, 14.16']I would say that's a justifiable fear. To beat Vandy, you will have to put up points. Even with that monster defense, Vandy is going to score and as of yet, Auburn has not shown the ability to score in bunches.[/quote]

i know right. hopefully some of the changes we've implemented will help. it seems that CTT has realized that he isn't adequately prepared, personnel wise, to run the spread nonstop. so, what we'll see more of is some i and power i formations mixed in. i hope it will be enough given that it's a herculean task to score touchdowns on our defense.

*crosses fingers*

SJohn should appreciate this list of the [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8599970&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8600350"]Top 10 Whiniest Football Coaches.[/url]

I'd say the SEC is a little disproportionately represented.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1540553' date='Oct 2 2008, 16.31']SJohn should appreciate this list of the [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8599970&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8600350"]Top 10 Whiniest Football Coaches.[/url]

I'd say the SEC is a little disproportionately represented.[/quote]

:lol:

it's like the whole conference is there. "i'm a man!!!" gundy should've been #1 IMO

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1540553' date='Oct 2 2008, 16.31']SJohn should appreciate this list of the [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8599970&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8600350"]Top 10 Whiniest Football Coaches.[/url]

I'd say the SEC is a little disproportionately represented.[/quote]

Haha, nice. Dickrod certainly earned his spot. Big part of the reason he left West Virginia was the AD's refusal to give him more control of the program, a power struggle. As an HC I can certainly understand wanting more control over the program and the AD [i]probably [/i]could have worked with him a bit more.

[b]HOWEVER[/b], Rodriguez was the head coach of the football team of the major [i]state funded[/i] university in the [i]poorest fucking state in the country[/i]. Not only that, but all the shit he wanted had actually been promised to him, and most of it was already in the process being built. He got a big head then he didnt get his way as soon as he wanted it, and that was that. As a (former) West Virginian he shouldve known better, some people down in the mountains barely have enough money to fucking eat and Rodriguez is demanding money for this perk or that luxury. Fuck him, crybaby bastard.

[quote name='S John' post='1540773' date='Oct 2 2008, 19.45']Haha, nice. Dickrod certainly earned his spot. Big part of the reason he left West Virginia was the AD's refusal to give him more control of the program, a power struggle. As an HC I can certainly understand wanting more control over the program and the AD [i]probably [/i]could have worked with him a bit more.

[b]HOWEVER[/b], Rodriguez was the head coach of the football team of the major [i]state funded[/i] university in the [i]poorest fucking state in the country[/i]. Not only that, but all the shit he wanted had actually been promised to him, and most of it was already in the process being built. He got a big head then he didnt get his way as soon as he wanted it, and that was that. As a (former) West Virginian he shouldve known better, some people down in the mountains barely have enough money to fucking eat and Rodriguez is demanding money for this perk or that luxury. Fuck him, crybaby bastard.[/quote]

I see time has healed your wounds over him leaving...... :)

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1540777' date='Oct 2 2008, 19.52']I see time has healed your wounds over him leaving...... :)[/quote]

Yea. You should see me when I'm mad. :smoking:

In seriousness though, I really don't care that he left anymore. Thats done. But I still think he's a shitbag.

Do I think we'd be 2-2 right now if he was still at WVU? No, we'd be 4-0, I'm almost sure of it. But we'd still miss the veterans on D, and I think we'd still [i]really [/i]miss Schmitt. We have absolutely nobody that can step into the role that he played so well.

Now that I'm not pissed about them anymore I'll give the new staff a little bit of slack on the two L's: we've got a slightly new system, we've got a lot of veteranss to replace, and we have improved in every game since the ECU game. Lost at Colorado, but still played much better than against ECU, then last week against Marshall the D was lights out and the O was at least getting it done.

IF we can keep up the trend of improvement through Rutgers and Syracuse I think we'll have as good a chance of beating Auburn as anyone. And if that happens we should re-debut in the rankings, and get enough of a confidence boost to possibly take the Big East. I can't wait to get a shot at ruining USF's season,..at having them run the table with WVU in the background under the radar the whole season.... then whipping thier ass on a cold December night in Morgantown. It'd be [i]perfect [/i]revenge for the last two years.

[quote name='S John' post='1540806' date='Oct 2 2008, 20.11']I can't wait to get a shot at ruining USF's season,..[/quote]

I think their season is already [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282760058"]ruined[/url]. Everyone knows that if you lose to Wannstedt, you are then required to forfeit any chance at respectability for 3 years from the date of the offense.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1541476' date='Oct 3 2008, 07.28']I think their season is already [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282760058"]ruined[/url]. Everyone knows that if you lose to Wannstedt, you are then required to forfeit any chance at respectability for 3 years from the date of the offense.[/quote]

Haha yea, Wannstache foils my plans yet again. As I said, I would have liked to have been the ones to take them out and Pitt winning a game is always a disappointment... however I will shed no tears over the Bulls. I hate those guys too.

[quote name='dornish prince' post='1540591' date='Oct 2 2008, 15.02']"i'm a man!!!" gundy should've been #1 IMO[/quote]

The thing about Gundy's rant, though, was that it wasn't a "Oh, poor me, the world is so unfair so why is everyone picking on me," it was a spirited defense of his player. If anything, he hinted that he could take more abuse without worrying about it, but that people should leave his players alone, While his rant was definitely freaky, I don't think I would classify it as "whining."

Urban Meyer throwing a temper tantrum about Georgia's celebration? Whining. Nick Saban trying to play the victim? Whining. Gundy's excessively enthusiastic (okay, way way way Way WAY over-the-top) defense of someone he was supposed to take care of? Not so much.

[quote]It is nice to see that Utah has learned from USCs mistakes.[/quote]

Go Utes!!!

I'm hoping they are the BCS-buster this year. They did it first, and under a system that is much harder than the current one, but it seems that they never get any respect for that. Let them make it again this year and let them beat a worthy opponent this time.

Archived