Hotels for LA Worldcon

Padraig

And you can't book rooms in the party floor in the Hilton at the moment. They are been rather devious since you have to pay more for them...although presumably lanai rooms are better than normal rooms.

As for dogs...er...that's a new one. I doubt it. :unsure:

Can I point something out here for the cash strapped among us? While it is best to stay at the hotels within stumbling distance of the party suite.... The Anaheim Convention Center is *right at* Disney land and the whole area is thick with hotels of all types and price ranges.

If you are considering passing up Worldcon because of expenses I would suggest doing a little more research into the area. I think every hotel and motel chain has a property near Disneyland, so you can probably use saved airline miles or frequent stay points if you have them. Motel 6 is cheap and clean and nearby. This is probably one of the best conventions to attend value-wise. The area caters to families with kids rather than just business people with expense accounts.

Just something to think about...

Can I point something out here for the cash strapped among us? While it is best to stay at the hotels within stumbling distance of the party suite.... The Anaheim Convention Center is *right at* Disney land and the whole area is thick with hotels of all types and price ranges.

If you are considering passing up Worldcon because of expenses I would suggest doing a little more research into the area. I think every hotel and motel chain has a property near Disneyland, so you can probably use saved airline miles or frequent stay points if you have them. Motel 6 is cheap and clean and nearby. This is probably one of the best conventions to attend value-wise. The area caters to families with kids rather than just business people with expense accounts.

Just something to think about...

You are correct. I know there are tons by Disney World and in my case I have brought a dog there and stayed years back. Not ghost but another wolf dog mix. They were cool with it.

It is a good idea. If I come I will be driving cause I love long drives. So it does not matter where I stay, I just do not go anywhere without my Ghost.

You really have a wolf dog called Ghost? How cool. :) That would be a rather neat addition to a Worldcon. :P

And thanks Aegon.

Yep he is my baby. I found him at a humane society in Kansas. I drove up and he did not stop watching me. Of course he caught my attention. He was white with a long jar, long legs, wide shoulders, and bigger than the other dogs. He was found on a farm starving to death. He came in at only 40 pounds. They were not going to adopt him out yet cause he was still so thin but they said I could adopt him cause he liked me so much. He now is 115 pounds and all fur and looks alot like the picture I have on this. He has traveled everywhere with my family now for a year and goes everywhere with me.

Of course I had to name him Ghost.

The hotels are starting to take bookings for Worldcon. Lots of choices, from singles to quads to suites to Lanai rooms...what are lanai rooms? :)

Hotels for LA

Pod, here's the deal...

The Hilton in Anaheim has an area on the fifth floor, called the "Lanai Level," where many of the rooms have a second set of doors, other than the ones to the hallway. These open onto a huge roof garden (which also contains the hotel's pool and FOUR hot tubs, plus a poolside bar/grill that's open 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM). The lanai rooms are the ones which have access to this roof garden.

It's a great setup for con partying -- you can wander around the roof and look into the various party rooms to see what's going on. Many of the room parties actually end up expanding onto the areas of the roof just outside the room itself (which can eliminate the need for a suite for many party planners!) And there are also a fair number of areas to just sit and hang out on the roof, with tables and chairs scattered all over the place.

On my previous stays, I thought that overall the Marriott (which is right across the street) was a nicer hotel for purposes of sleeping and relaxing. The Hilton is a bit posher overall, but the Marriott just finished a complete renovation of all their guest rooms, lobby, and main pool. Also worth noting is that the Marriott has a self-service coin laundry; the Hilton only offers hotel-priced laundry services. I recommend that anyone considering booking at one of the two read the (very complete) details provided by LACon before making a choice.

Archived