Hotels for LA Worldcon

Padraig

Off the top of my head, the big airlines are Air France, Lufthansa, BA, SAS, US, United, American, Continental and Northwest. Aer Lingus from Dublin have a €662 (£454) direct service to Los Angeles which I am very inclined to book now. But i'm not sure what are the best days to go. That fare would be heading out on the Monday August 21st and returning on Sat Sept 2nd. If other people were sticking around that long, that would be cool. :)

Air New Zealand fly Heathrow-LA as well, it's the stopover point for the flight to Auckland.

Tentative plans for the landmark and I.

Fly out 22nd London to LA.

Fly LA to NY 1st Sep.

NY to London 4th.

£520 all in.

Obviously we are discussing a weekend in New York to see the sights and enjoy a quiet beer or two. It works out only £60 dearer than straight to LA and back.

Barry is all excited.

I could go for the same price with British Airways from Copenhagen. Stop over at Heathrow, though. 750 euros is not bad. In LA on the 22nd, back home on the 5th of September (yes, I'll stay longer in CA).

The best fares from Copenhagen are probably with Continental and then SAS. I'm surprised with how cheap Continental are in fact.

I can fly on the 22nd to the 2th Sept from Dublin for $680...£384!!!

I'm like in awe. :P

And that's great Barry. I think i'll stay into September then also. And just skip the NY part. :)

Financially solvent Zollo? Wow...the US really doesn't trust the Dutch. How do you prove that? Bring a bank statement? For us, all we need is a return ticket. Then they assume we are leaving. :P

Room is booked *happy dances*

FYI the reservation code for the lanai level is: Convention Code SCP

LAconIV hasn't updated their website yet so you won't find the code there.

Those "SCP" rooms are quite likely the ones that do NOT open onto the roof deck (usually because they're on the wrong side of the hall). But they're still very convenient to all the parties...

>>Financially solvent Zollo? Wow...the US really doesn't trust the Dutch. How do you prove that? Bring a bank statement? For us, all we need is a return ticket. Then they assume we are leaving.>>

I don't know Pad. Part of the Visa Waiver program or some such. A form you pick up at travel agents and such but apparently even upon entry. That is all it says. Nothing about proof. :P *visions of being sent back*

Ahhh right...so it has a box: "Are you financially solvent. Tick if yes". Right under the "Are you a terrorist" box. :P

That's the cool thing about flying from Ireland. One goes through US immigration in Dublin. Saves me having to do a Zollo and flying all the way to the US to be sent back. ;)

Well, to be honest, it looks like crappy information. Cause the rules seem to apply to *all* the Visa Waiver countries, meaning, including Ireland. Since you've never even heard of it, I bet I don't have to worry either (though I'll check it out anyway).

Been having a bit of a look around. Will probably be going from the 22nd till the 29th or something. Flights seem to be around £500-600, which puts them in the affordable if i save some money category. The Edinburgh-Atlanta-LA run sounds especially intriguing.

I won't be able to stay until September either - I might fly from Edinburgh but I was thinking of flying out a little earlier so as to have a day or two to get oriented first. Haven't looked at prices yet but anything under £600 would be good - obviously the lower the better. I'll keep an eye on what you people find because it would be good to fly out together.

Archived