Mod comments

Callum

To stop cluttering the install thread with what we've found, I thought I'd start a new topic. Feel free to post your comments on the mod in here.

Just finished a campaign as Renly in 13 turns and not sure what caused it. I sent the main stack to quickly take Felwood (or whatever the closest rebel settlement is) and did so without any losses. After that, it was straight up to Kings Landing and some fierce competition from Joffrey. Although the odds were against me, I defeated an army led by Janos Slynt in the field, and then besieged Kings Landing itself. Again, the odds were against me, as the remains of Slynt's forces came to their assistance but Renly was triumphant at the end of the day. (All these battles were automatic.) Our forces split into 2, half holding Kings Landing and half marching on Rosby. That was taken easily, and our Tully allies took Joffrey's last city putting an end to their reign. After that, it informed me I was victorious, and I missed the winning conditions so I am unsure why...

This was a new campaign with the patch.

[quote name='Callum' post='1536623' date='Sep 29 2008, 20.34']To stop cluttering the install thread with what we've found, I thought I'd start a new topic. Feel free to post your comments on the mod in here.

Just finished a campaign as Renly in 13 turns and not sure what caused it. I sent the main stack to quickly take Felwood (or whatever the closest rebel settlement is) and did so without any losses. After that, it was straight up to Kings Landing and some fierce competition from Joffrey. Although the odds were against me, I defeated an army led by Janos Slynt in the field, and then besieged Kings Landing itself. Again, the odds were against me, as the remains of Slynt's forces came to their assistance but Renly was triumphant at the end of the day. (All these battles were automatic.) Our forces split into 2, half holding Kings Landing and half marching on Rosby. That was taken easily, and our Tully allies took Joffrey's last city putting an end to their reign. After that, it informed me I was victorious, and I missed the winning conditions so I am unsure why...

This was a new campaign with the patch.[/quote]

This is weird. I am not certain but I believe that Renly has to defeat Stannis as well to achieve victory. I will check when I get on my PC in a little while.

Played as Dorne for a bit, and the Dornish Spearman unit description is just 'hh'. Also, in the diplomacy section, the original unit shields show up (England, Scotland etc.), but the names are right. However, I presume this was just skipped to get the beta out early.

The Renly win:
If you didn't claim King, the victory conditions for a noble lord is much easier to accomplish, mostly hold your lands and some extra, and that's it. If you don't want to end the game so soon, you can give up one of your settlements to the rebels to bypass the condition.

Diplomacy shield:
Good catch, I don't think this one was ever spotted by the team.

:edit: actually, I spot nothing strange in my diplomacy panel(didn't have my game at hand earlier so couldn't check) so if you get any vanilla shields you probably did something wrong during the install.

Just had a thought: would it be possible to use the red-brick walls and buildings from the Teutonic campaign in [i]Kingdoms[/i] to give King's Landing more of its distinctive feel? Or is that not possible?

[quote name='Werthead' post='1539914' date='Oct 2 2008, 06.50']Just had a thought: would it be possible to use the red-brick walls and buildings from the Teutonic campaign in [i]Kingdoms[/i] to give King's Landing more of its distinctive feel? Or is that not possible?[/quote]

Unfortunately with the current engine, I don't think they can be incorporated. If and when we switch to a Kingdoms format, it will certainly be something in discussion i'm sure.

I realised after my re-install that I'm missing the boiling oil during sieges. *sad*

Bloodly Lannisters are a pain in the arse - i've had to endure more sieges after 35 turns than most other games i've played in MTW-SS - and why the hell aren't the Starks coming to save my butt??? I'm playing as the Tullys

Loving it (although i have zero cash ... ever)

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1540741' date='Oct 2 2008, 16.11']I realised after my re-install that I'm missing the boiling oil during sieges. *sad*

Bloodly Lannisters are a pain in the arse - i've had to endure more sieges after 35 turns than most other games i've played in MTW-SS - and why the hell aren't the Starks coming to save my butt??? I'm playing as the Tullys

Loving it (although i have zero cash ... ever)[/quote]

haha. The Tully's are bloody hard! They are right in the middle of the shit and the Lannisters start off with 29374238472 generals. My suggestion? Get your merchants cracking. Take the gold mines, the silver mine, and send some all the way to Dorne and the Arbor (good wine trade) and make as many trade alliances as you can. Also, make sure you don't open up any other fronts. Joff on one side and The Lions on the other make it hard going as it is. Personally, I always go for an alliance with the Arryns myself.

As for the Starks, I was thinking about having Robs Army start out NEAR Rivverun. I am going to bring this up to the team members and see what they think. That way, the Starks are more involved from the jump.

Glad you're having fun!

[quote name='TheKingSlayerTWModTeam' post='1540699' date='Oct 2 2008, 23.28']Unfortunately with the current engine, I don't think they can be incorporated. If and when we switch to a Kingdoms format, it will certainly be something in discussion i'm sure.[/quote]

I see there's a 'Retrofit' mod available which adds the elements from Kingdoms to vanilla, including the boiling oil and the redstone walls. However, I think you need both Kingdoms and Med 2 for legal reasons (since taking and uploading those files from Kingdoms is presumably a copyright violation).

I finished a Tyrell campaign in one sitting pretty easily. My only set back was Loras getting killed in a flood on turn three :(

Working on a Renly campaign now, took care to claim king before I won. About 100,000+ dragons in the coffers so hopefully there won't be any trouble. Renly has several +fertility traits but only has two children (one son); is there some hidden trait referencing Renly+Loras that is causing Renly to be (almost) infertile?

• 2 weeks later...
Having finished the game, some thoughts:

Money: Money seems to be in very short supply as the Starks. Taking out most of the building options to upgrade your economy really seems to reduce the amount of money you can have coming in.

Spawning rebels: This is a perennial problem with Med 2, but the Westeros mod has tons and tons of rebels spawning all over the place, especially after loading a new game. Whilst having rebels reflects the feel of ASoIaF quite nicely, it does make playing the game difficult. I attribute my financial problems as the Starks to mainly having to hold fairly significent forces in Winterfell, Last Hearth, Karhold and so on to prevent them being taken by half-stack rebel armies appearing out of nowhere.

Upgrading: I know the reasons for not allowing the traditional city/castle upgrades as in vanilla, but it does take most of the control of your economy out of your hands. Also, the original idea (that 1 turn = 1 month) doesn't seem to have been implemented. Whilst I agree that being able to upgrade your settlement several times a year doesn't seem to make sense, neither does not being able to upgrade your settlement at all over the course of say 30 years.

Assassins: Having to wait for a Sorrowful Man to show up is a pain. Having 'normal' assassins as well as the uber-ones would be helpful, although presumably not possible in the game engine.

Overall though, given the state of the game I am very impressed with it.

Are there plans to have the wildlings in the game? I see you don't have the Wall in it but if you don't send enough troops or money to help the Wall, will the wildlings then turn up north of Last Hearth as a Mongol-like faction? That could be pretty cool, although perhaps another headache for the Stark faction.

• 1 month later...
Just played 23 turns as Greyjoy. THIS IS THE BEST MOD EVER!!

Bit of an issue though, i've conquered the entire Trident, the Neck, the Arbor, Highgarden and Oldtown and am allied with Lannister, not even remotely book faithful but my plan has seemed to work better than Balon's. So I've just won the 20 turns requirement but i am sill unable to claim kingship, why is this?

Is there some special thing I have to do?

Once again greatest mod ever invented.

Archived