NHL 4

TheHoundRules

[quote name='Habber' post='1534939' date='Sep 29 2008, 01.21']Odds are that if atlanta wants to unload him at the deadline, they'll get twice the value that they gave up for him, while getting to use him for 75% of the season. Pretty solid deal for them.

Am I the only one who really think the ducks don't look that good at all? sure a full year from selanne and neidermeyer will help, but there is no scoring there at all.

Montreal has looked ok in it's preseason so far, More excited for these last few games because it'll be more regulars.

I'm starting a different type of pool this year with my friends. It'll be a keeper league. about 12 guys will be in it and we'll all pick 8 Forwards, 3 Defensemen, and a Goalie. Next year when we do this draft we have the option of holding onto 6 of those players. You can ditch more if you would like to. Then we will repick from all the new rookie talent, the 6 players(or more) thrown back into the pile from each team, and the guys that were overlooked at last year's draft. Guy who finished last gets first pick, and will be the first pick of each round.

It's still up for tweaking tho. Nothing has really been set. So i'm asking do you see room for any improvements/special rules? Is 6 the right amount that should be held over?[/quote]

Very interesting concept there. I like the idea, but I think you are allowing people to keep to many people. You can keep all your top talent and then some. It would not be to hard to decide who to keep. I would reduce it to 2 or 3 to keep. Then you have to make some decisions. Do you keep your top forwards, defense, your goalie? It would be more like a GM who has 10 million to spend and has to decide which of his superstars gets the money.

I had my draft for my fantasy league. I had to pre rank b/c I was watching UGA the shit beat out of them in Athens. Very happy with my offense, defense is decent, goalie is week. I barely missed out on a few goalies I wanted. If I would have been there, I would have changed some stuff to take a few goalies. Here is my team.

Derek Roy, Marc Savard, Rick Nash, Patrick Sharp, Jarome Ignilia, Marian Gaborik, Ed Jovanoski, Mark Streit, Pavel Kubina, Dennis Wideman, Alexei Kovalev, Kristian Husellus, Marco Sturm, Andy McDonald, Mike Knuble, Ruslan Salei, Tomas Vokoun, Tim Thomas, Olif Kolzig.

Closet bruins fan? 4 of them? Wow. Haha.

Very solid group of forwards. Very Very. But your I hope your league goes doesn't focus on goalies a lot because you could get screwed. Olif isn't a starter for sure, neither is Thomas and both are on teams that could(esp Tampa) miss the playoffs. Then you have Voukon who will put up decent numbers and is a really good goalie, but he won't get any wins or shutouts.

That's very interesting about only keeping 2 or 3. I'll have to bring it up on Thursday and see how it goes.

One of the things that I feel this type of pool is that I'm going to emphasis that you are allowed trade to tank the season. Basically, you can trade away your so-so players(one you might be throwing away anyways) for maybe a horrible player. But the neat part about this is that you now have draft picks to tag on. So say it's the 8th place team trading with the 3rd place guy. 8th guy gives up a respectable forward(Marleau or something), and a 5th round pick(Each team will have at least 6 rounds) for a player who has been injured long term(Bergeron last year) and a 2nd round pick. 3rd place guy now has a better shot to rise in the ranks and the 8th place guy has a higher draft pick next year and can maybe even sink lower in the standings. The trick for the bottom guys is to not trade away your GOOD talent(ie the guys you will protect) Otherwise it will only hurt your team next year as well. So this will restrict crazy stupid trading, but also promote situations that could benefit both trading partners. Only stipulation would be that you must maintain your 12 man roster in the 8/3/1 format and you must only have 6 draft picks. Otherwise it'd screw things up.

This way, it keeps everyone interested until the trade deadline. If you see you're not going to make it, try and take a dive and get a draft pick or something for next year. It also could help a guy who has a dead weight injury get a producing player when he needs it, but it'll cost him for next year. It's a little underhanded, but I think it really resembles how the NHL looks at trade deadline. Everyone is buying or selling.

Habber - I am not so pleased with having 4 players from one team. If it was Detroit, that may not be so bad. I will have to see how they do and maybe make a change with one of them. Goalies are not a huge part of the league, but it could bring me down. Going into the draft, I wanted to get as many top forwards as possible. This is where most the points are. I will see how the first month goes and then decide which moves I need to make with trades and adds.

I see your point about the trades. I am just thinking that going into the next years draft, 72 of the top players are already off the board. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. Seems very interesting.

I hope the Ruins sink like a stone this year. This year's playoffs and reading their boards this summer has really given me a new hate for that cruddy wannabe team :P

Yes 72 players would be off the board, but I bet that the 6 kept by the 1st place team would be much better then the 6 kept by the last guy. I think the amount of new players that come up or weren't picked will outweigh a lot of the players that are thrown back in. Mike Green for example. He's a top 5 Defensemen. He'd fall right into the lap of the first few who picked. Also, would a Patrick Kane have been picked last year? Possibly, but with only 8 forward spots, that's taking a big risk he'd only be up for 9 games and sent back. For the majority of rookies it would. The only ones I would have taken last year would have been Toews and Backstrom, and even then. Now you have a lot of those guys to pick from that could well have good seasons. (Mueller on the top line with Doan and Jokinen for example). So I think that there will be a few really high end guys who will be available and quickly become a "keeper 6", while the higher placed teams will get a so-so player at 10, but maybe not a good enough one to bump any of their 6, so they don't really gain anything.

It'd be really neat to set up a pool for us here, but it doesn't look like there has been a lot of interest lately, but I'd be interested even if it starts a tad late.

[quote name='Habber' post='1540750' date='Oct 2 2008, 16.21']It'd be really neat to set up a pool for us here, but it doesn't look like there has been a lot of interest lately, but I'd be interested even if it starts a tad late.[/quote]

The thread has 4 replies and 51 views. I'd say there is interest, just not much to talk about yet.

Lecavalier
Kopitar
Green
Savard
Hemsky
Prospal
Burns
Parise
Plekanec
Meszaros
Horcoff
Turco

Those would be my picks. Kopitar may have been a touch early, as I could have had either Chicago of the Chicago pair, but I think once Kopitar gets a team, he might be even better. I think my Horcoff pick is a steal.

That is a good team Habber. Fan of Tampa are you. I am not sure about Prospal and Meszaros. I am not a believer in Tampa yet. Their defense and goalie situation are average at best in my opinion.

It is time this thread starts to take off.

Well, the season starts tomorrow. I just ordered NHL Center Ice. As a season ticket holder, I get to go to a "meet the team" on Wednesday night. I am really looking forward to that.

Early Stanley Cup finals prediction and other useless predicitons.

Montreal vs. Detroit. -
Detroit repeats. It is hard to pick against them. They are loaded.

I think my Thrashers may surprise some people. This is the best defense we have ever had and we have an offensive minded coach finally.

I think Anaheim is going to disappoint. Getting older.

San Jose starts to live up to expectations and loses in the conference finals.

Center Ice. That's an awesome package. Once I get settled out of this university junk I'll get it. Just don't have the time to watch now. Or the cash.

I'll go a bit deeper with my predictions.

* - Division winner

EAST

1)Philadelphia* - I dunno, I just really like this team. Only thing that could screw them is if Timmonen gets an injury. If it's longterm, this team won't even make the playoffs

2)Montreal* - In-Tanguay, Lang, Laraque. Out-Ryder, Smolinksi, Streit. I like their chances in another fairly weak Northeast.

3)Carolina* - Everyone thinks Washington is going to win their division, and they well could, but I don't believe that much in Theo and Canes had huge injury probs last year.

4)Boston - This year's Montreal. Will surprise quite a few

5)Pittsburgh - Lost a lot of their depth players, and Gonchar out for the season? Would cripple many teams but there is still Sid and Gino. Don't like their wingers at all though.

6)Washington - Bruce Boudreau had them going good, and they'll be back in the playoffs, but teams won't be taking them as lightly this year. I still don't see who they have on their team besides the first line, and isn't that what everyone complains about Ottawa for?

7)Ottawa - They're this low because they only have 1 line, and absolutely no offense from their defence. Oh ya Gerber is the Number 1. Wow, why are they this high...might be wrong here.

8)New Jersey - Didn't really like their offseason moves. Rolston is ok, but he's getting up there. Still Marty keeps them in the playoffs...again. Plays 76 games probably though and will burn out in playoffs.

9)New York Rangers - Lundquist is pretty amazing, but I think the loss of Jagr will hurt more then Rag fans admit. Or maybe it'll clear up the locker room and everyone will be hunky-dory.

10) Buffalo - Hard working team. Not too much depth of skill any longer though. In a few years their blossoming 3rd line became the 1st and no one replaced any of the talent behind them. Still very comptetive team.

11)Atlanta - I also think they're underrated, but they'll still be in tough. D and goaltending are solid, but Lehtonen needs to stay healthy if they want to make a push for the playoffs.

12)Tampa Bay - I think they've made some great personnel changes, except they brought in Barry Melrose as the coach. They only did this as a PR move. A lot of their on ice changes remind me of Philly last year(minus the stud defenceman), but a coach like him will sink this team. Should be entertaining though.

13)Florida - There is no one to score. A lot of 2-1 games in a already low interest market. Dumb

14)Toronto Maple leafs - A lot of holes. When Graboski can't crack Montreal's top 4 but is on Toronto's top line, you know there is trouble. And I love it.

15)New York Islanders. The three ring circus continues. Kyle Okposo should be a gem though.

WEST

1)Detroit* - Won the cup, then stole best winger off team it beat. Lost no one. Wow.

2)San Jose* - You guys are going to love Dan Boyle. Much better then Campbell anyways. And he's got a chip on his shoulder from being mishandled on his way out of Tampa.

3)Edmonton* - I really like how Edmonton goes about it's offseasons. They are always very active and make things interesting and try and give their team a new dynamic. Cole>Stoll, Visnosky>Pitkanen. So they lost some other guys, but they got a few nice pieces to go with their young team. Add in a healthy Horcoff and this team will win the tight Northwest.

4)Dallas - Very good team. Not sure what the Avery effect will have though. A full year of Richards should help.

5)Anahiem - On the backslide, but Temmu and Scot are here from the start. Could give some stability. Don't like their offense as they were the 4th worst team in scoring last year.

6)Chicago - Two young future stars who had paces of 75 points last year? Add in an actual goalie and a pretty decent offensive dman. This team is going to the playoffs.

7)Calgary - Kipper will have a bounce back year. Their offense doesn't look as deep anymore. Having Bertuzzi on the top line on a team will give that appearance.

8)Vancouver - Luongo will have a bounce back year. Their offense doesn't look as deep anymore. Having Demitra on the top line on a team will give that appearance.

9) Phoenix - This team is on the move. Lots of young talent. I love this Carcillo guy. He's a monster. Great for fan interest. That's the type of hockey people love.

10)Minnesota. Take a bit of a step back. Always in the thick of things though, but I think Gabby pulls his groin, is out a large chunk, and will get traded at the deadline.

11)Nashville. Losing Radulov hurts. Not sure if Ellis is for real or not. Was amazing in the playoffs though.

12)Colorado. Peter Budaj, Andrew Raycroft. Neither of these guys is a top 40 goalie in the league. Basically, 10 other teams have better backups then either of these. Won't win you games. Otherwise, not a bad team.

13)Columbus. Lots of excitement there, but... Torres, Umberger? These are guys who are going to do ANYTHING for you. Umberger had the most lucky and unbelievable round of his life against montreal(10 goals, 5 games) and Philly flips him to a dumb Columbus before his value fell off. Dumb on CLB.

14) Los Angeles. Youth movement on the way. Still need a goalie. Havn't had a good one since I can remember. Ever really.

15) St. Louis. Stud defenceman tears his knee up getting out of a golf cart. Bad omen to start the year. They'd better hope he can fully recover and not have future problems too. It'd be a huge waste. Tavares drive time.

Playoff prediction
Habs/Stars. Turco has learned to play in the postseason. But Habs have too much riding on this 100th season. There will be a lot going for them. Also I expect a pretty big splash at the deadline. Gainey has missed out on the big fish too often and he's going to do it this year because of the 100th season. So I'll pick the Habs to take it all. Homer pick, but I don't get to do this often so I better get it in now.

Fire away/criticize

Edit. Spelled it Kimmonen. Fairly honest mistake I think

I was just about to say Tampa is not looking good, then they score.

Habber - Your predictions are fairly close to what I would do. I would change a few up or down 1 or 2 spots, but fairly close. I do not see Dallas going to the finals, but they could. Turco did prove a lot of people wrong last year that he could not play in the playoffs.

Thanks for the link, Swordfish, that was good.

The Rangers were better than 2-1 in this game, they just apparently have a really awful power play. Who's the captain now that Jags is gone? Drury?

East:

Montreal - Should be solid this season as well.
Pittsburgh - Some losses during the offseason, I don't expect them to go to the finals this year, but they're still solid
Carolina - Near misses for two consecutive seasons, will they get back on track?
Philadelphia - Terrible two seasons ago, great last season. This season I think they'll be in the fight for the division title.
New Jersey - Marty defines reliability.
Washington - Will do everything they can to keep their momentum going.
Ottawa - Aside from the big 3, they now have Jason Smith and Jarkko Ruutu.
New York Rangers - Will have to give their all throughout the season to be here without Jagr.
-----
Boston - Someone has to be ninth, I'm guessing it will be these guys.
Buffalo - Constantly pretty good, seldom great.
Florida - Vokoun and a solid defense isn't enough to carry that offense.
Tampa Bay - Sure, who doesn't like that offense, but they can't forget about the defensive aspect as much as they seem to have done.
Toronto - If Sundin comes back during the season, expect him to score about a point per game. He always does so, but considering the other forwards they have, it boggles the mind.
Atlanta - Waddell stepping down from the position of coach makes me feel better about them, but they still have problems that they need to deal with.
New York Islanders - DiPietro will win some games for them, but he's not superhuman.

West:
Detroit - There are a few things in life that are certain: death, taxes and Detroit constantly being at (or near) the top of the Western Conference.
San Jose - Let's keep this going all through the playoffs. Right, Mr. Boyle and Mr. Blake?
Calgary - Kipper will be the difference between winning the NW and not making the playoffs.
Dallas - Were solid last year, have added Avery and Brunnström... might win the Pacific.
Minnesota - "It's a trap!" With their defensive system and some lateral moves during the offseason, I expect them to make the playoffs.
Chicago - The last time they made the playoffs was in 2002. This should be an entertaining ride.
Phoenix - Sure, Bryz is no Giguere, but it's time for Jokinen to make the playoffs - I believe that about 20 games into the season he'll break the record for most regular season games played without appearing in the playoffs.
Edmonton - I'm not expecting Garon to be that good, but other than that, they should have a good year.
-----
Anaheim - Predicting that a team with Giguere, Pronger and Niedermayer will miss the playoffs can be an indication of insanity. In this case, it's also a case of wishful thinking.
Columbus - Still won't make the playoffs, but I'm expecting Huselius to have a good season.
Colorado - I like Stastny and many of their other players, but that goaltending duo won't impress anyone.
Nashville - Trotz regularly gets blood from a stone, but that just won't be enough this season.
Vancouver - If they didn't have Luongo, people would mention them in the same breath as L.A. (but with less impressive prospects).
St. Louis - Certainly look to be the whipping boy of the Central Division this year.
Los Angeles - Their future looks really bright, just imagine them getting another top 5 draft pick. But getting back into respectability won't happen this season.

Archived