October 2008 Reads

Werthead

Still reading [i][b]World War Z[/b][/i]. I think my ARC of [i][b]The Temporal Void[/b][/i] has vanished, so I might just go and buy a copy tomorrow, and I'm also due an ARC of Gollancz's 'big debut' for next year, [b][i]The Admantine Palace[/i][/b], which sounds interesting (DRAGONS! apparently).

I am alternating between the following books:

Mark Schultz, [i]The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA[/i] (graphic novel explaining DNA; January 2009 release)

Thomas M. Disch, [i]The Wall of America[/i] (short story collection; November 2008 release date)

Jorge Ramos, [i]La otra cara de América[/i] (non-fiction; re-read for my unit on immigration history in the U.S.)

After those, I'm likely going to start reading the recently-arrived galley proof for the U.S. edition of Richard K. Morgan's [i]The Steel Remains[/i].

[quote name='Nadie' post='1538122' date='Sep 30 2008, 22.51']Just picked up [i]Nation[/i] by Terry Pratchett!!!!

So far, its very good...[/quote]
I'm looking forward to that one. :)

Just started "So Brave, Young and Handsome" by Leif Enger; it's rather Mark Twain-ish and I like it a lot.

I am nearly done with my reads for Banned Book Week.

Just finished up Morrison's [i]Beloved[/i]. It was well written, but perhaps the most depressing thing I have ever read in my life. :( Complete and total downer. :(

One banned book left - [i]To Kill a Mockingbird[/i] - a reread of an old favorite. :)

[quote name='Jaimes_Right_Hand' post='1538107' date='Sep 30 2008, 23.34']I am reading a graphic novel by Thomas Ligotti entitled [i]The Nightmare Factory[/i]. It refers likeness to the works of Neil Gaiman, Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.

I rather like it, though I will not give full judge as I am not yet half way through.[/quote]

It was fairly enjoyable. The first of the short stories, entitled [i]The last feast of the Harlequin[/i] was by far my favourite and make the hair stick up on the neck! Fabulous.

When I get home I shall be starting Mary Shelley's [i]Frankenstein[/i] :)

Went through The blank Slate by Steven Pinker, Paul Kearneys the Ten thousand, and Iceberg Slims Pimp and an ethnography of scottish crofters last month.

Right now I am re-reading A storm of swords, and enders game, and hoping to pick up consilence and Sociobiology by E.O wilson tomorrow. I would also like to pick up Anabasis, and Huckleberry fin soon.

FINISHED!

[i]The System of the World[/i] by Neal Stephenson. I thought this day would never come. Seriously. It took me about three years to get through the entire trilogy and I feel lost without it now. Definitely one of the best things I've read and I highly recommend it.

Am currently 100 pages into Erikson's [b]Deadhouse Gates[/b] and am enjoying it immensely. I'm hoping that by the time I've read the books released in the MBotF series to date, I will be able to sink my teeth into ADWD straight away.

I've just finished China Miéville's [i]The Scar[/i], which I thought was brilliant. Miéville's prose is vivid and evocative, and he has a serious knack for creating interesting characters. It was great to read a book where the author was clearly keen to push the genre's boundaries. Not enough writers do that in my opinion.

Feel free to check out my full [url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2008/09/book-review-scar.html"]review[/url].

Not sure what's next up, I do quite fancy [i]The Painted Man[/i]. Have heard mixed things...

I've just finished [b]'Kejsarn av Portugallien' [/b]by Selma Lagerlöf (first female author to get a nobel prize).
I enjoyed the book very much, even though it had very obsolete and old fashioned words and phrases, it didn't take from the book, but only emphasized the environment around them.

Now on to [b]A House Of Suns[/b], which so far does not charm me at all. I'm switching over to Jeffrey D. Sach's [b]The End Of Poverty [/b]sometimes, because of the sheer boreom I'm experiencing with Reyonlds right now.

I fear I'm close to throwing it all back on to the To-Read pile and just pick up an reread an old classic, I've been rereading so much lately, sometimes it's nice with familiar and sympathetic prose.

Archived