October 2008 Reads

Werthead

[quote name='Isis' post='1538301' date='Oct 1 2008, 11.34']FINISHED!

[i]The System of the World[/i] by Neal Stephenson. I thought this day would never come. Seriously. It took me about three years to get through the entire trilogy and I feel lost without it now. Definitely one of the best things I've read and I highly recommend it.[/quote]

:bow: :cheers: :thumbsup:

Awesome. I'm still somewhere around page 300 of [i]The Confusion[/i], which is where I was 18 months ago.

Ser Scot, yes, it should be. Official publication date is next week, but books usually hit the shelves 2-3 weeks earlier than the date here.

[quote name='Isis' post='1538301' date='Oct 1 2008, 11.34']FINISHED!

[i]The System of the World[/i] by Neal Stephenson. I thought this day would never come. Seriously. It took me about three years to get through the entire trilogy and I feel lost without it now. Definitely one of the best things I've read and I highly recommend it.[/quote]

About bloody time! Now, if you visit your local bookshop you should see a slim little tome called [b]Anathem[/b]...

I woke up early this morning and picked up Brian Evenson's 'Last Days' as a nice quick read for while I was lying in bed. This tale of a cop forcibly recruited into solving a murder, in a cult of self mutilators, kept me hooked through every twist and turn right up until an explosive and hard hitting finale. It's not out until next February but it's worth keeping an eye open for. My review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
I'm now back onto Scalzi's 'The Last Colony' and I'm not picking anything else up until I've finished it...

Just finished Titanicus by Dan Abnett, a Warhammer 40,000 novel. Good, but as a newcomer to the whole Warhammer universe I struggled with all the details and references. Possible not the best entry point, but it's given me a reason to look at more of these in the future.

Finished R. Scott Bakker's [i][b]The Thousandfold Thought[/b][/i] at first I was not that big of a fan of this series, but it has grown on me. He does a great job on describing battles in vivid details. I am not a fan of the hidden ancient evil type of books and I am waiting to see how the Consort and their skin spies workout. he did a great job in World and religion building. I will read the next book to come out. I understand why people like this series, but I still like ASOIAF better and my favorite series is still the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall.

Now I will start [i][b]The Whale Road[/b][/i] by Robrt Low it looks interesting.

[i]The Fire Gospel[/i] by Michael Faber -- a take on the Prometheus Myth; in which a man comes across the Fifth gospel and uses it for fame and fortune only to send the major religions and their followers into a destructive tailspin. Decent but a bit short for such a complex idea. Part of the Canongate series on myths and, like Su Tong's effort last year, a modern take that manages to capture enduring sensibilities of the original.

I am reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - I can't believe this book is 20 years and I haven't read it before. It's enchanting, magical, fable-like, humane and inspiring. Makes you want to pursue your dreams, believe in signs, and listen to your heart. Simple, beautiful and elegant. Love it! Almost done.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1539432' date='Oct 2 2008, 10.21']I have finally decided to read A Feast for Crows. I have been waiting for ADWD to be done before read it, but I think he must be close.[/quote]

Wow, that is incredible stamina. I would have thought that people who made the decision to wait for ADWD would have caved in long ago (like when GRRM decided to holiday in Spain and Portugal). Hope you enjoy Feast.

Cheers, Wertykins. I'm throwing down the gauntlet! You could complete the trilogy before the end of the year if you set your mind to it. I feel bad because my ridiculously long stint implies that the books are not enjoyable or enthralling enough to maintain the interest of the reader. That's definitely NOT true. It's just that it can be somewhat dense in places and it may take a little effort to forge through those parts of the story when you're not in a receptive mind-frame for something 'heavy'.

[quote name='Peadar' post='1538540' date='Oct 1 2008, 15.26']About bloody time! Now, if you visit your local bookshop you should see a slim little tome called [b]Anathem[/b]...[/quote]I know. :blush: You were right - I had to give it my full attention. Actually I have [i]Cryptonomicon[/i] still unread on my shelf, so I think I'll read that before [i]Anathem[/i]. I might even wait until 2009 to read it so as I can enjoy a brief period in my life of [u]not[/u] having an unfinished Stephenson book on the go! :)

I'm currently 100 pages into Moorcock's [i]Elric[/i] and wondering how much more I can take. Anybody know where I could get hold of some more adverbs? There just aren't enough in this book.

[quote name='Peadar' post='1538540' date='Oct 1 2008, 15.26']About bloody time! Now, if you visit your local bookshop you should see a slim little tome called [b]Anathem[/b]...[/quote]

*coughs* 'slim' and 'little' are such under-expressive words when used with [b]Anathem[/b] :D

I'm finishing [b]Infoquake[/b], which wasn't what I expected and that's a good thing. And I've just started [b]The Painted Man[/b] - hmmm not so sure it's me but we'll have to see.

Books I've read in the past twelve days or so. The Ephemera books, [i]Sebastian[/i] and [i]Belladonna[/i] by Anne Bishop. They were Ok I guess but I guess I expected more. I loved the Black Jewels trilogy when I first read it six years ago, I expected these books to be as enjoyable. Well, they weren't. The world they were set in was interesting but most of the characters were flat, uninteresting and, well, fake. There were redeeming moments that I enjoyed but in the end I wouldn't call either of these books well written or particularly entertaining.

I also read[i] Η ωραία κοιμωμένη του Μυστρά [/i]by George Leonardos. The title translates to The sleeping Beauty of Mistras and it's a historical novel based on the life of one of the last princesses of Byzantine Mystras, Italian born Cleofe Malatesta who married into the emperor's family in the last few years before the Byzantine empire fell to the Turks. It was an interesting read but it felt more like a history lesson than a novel at times. Still, I enjoyed it. The fact that we were there in Mystras last summer and we got to see her grave, [i]her hair[/i], the clothing she was wearing when she was buried and what's left of her shoes made that book a lot more real.

Another Greek book I just finished reading (yeah, I figured I'm allowed to read a couple of Greek books every few months) is[i] Που πια καιρος[/i] by Ismene Kapantai (very loosely translated as No More Time). It's another historical novel and it is about the same era, the last few years when the decline of the Byzantines is apparent and the end is near. This book wasn't focused on major events but more on the everyday lives of certain people. I really liked that one as well.

I'm thinking my next read is going to be [i]Beloved[/i], by Toni Morrison.

[quote name='Isis' post='1539667' date='Oct 2 2008, 08.21']I'm currently 100 pages into Moorcock's [i]Elric[/i] and wondering how much more I can take. Anybody know where I could get hold of some more adverbs? There just aren't enough in this book.[/quote]

This is the last book I finished even though it was utter shit. I've got far less tolerance for bad books these days and have started giving up on them without completing them, which is not good of me. But when I'm reading a bad book, the ARC tower beckons so invintingly...

Archived