Global Timeline

Errant Bard

Wow, thank you EB! This week I'm going to begin to reread the series, as I have DWD coming in the mail. Now I can read it in chronological order. Well done, no small feat! I'm looking forward to seeing any future updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting only so I can bring this closer to the front pages to be able to find it since the search function is disabled.

EB, I am with you on this as I was planning to do this too and was directed to your timeline. I have almost finished my first read of Dance, and when I do will be going back and reading Feast and Dance together to try and piece out a timeline. I'll give you my notes when I'm done so we can compare.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so I finished my global reread and timeline...

By the end of Jaime chapter in AFFC Roslin Frey still hasn't given birth to a child that was conceived at the Red Wedding so less than 9 months have passed since the Red Wedding. and Cersei must send assassins after Bronn 9-10 months after the riot in which Lollys was raped... Also at Sansa's Wedding to Tyrion she says that she will turn 13 as the Moon turns, since this wedding was supposedly on the 30th of November 299, then doesn't that make her birthday the 30th of December? How did you derive 15th of December?<BR> Also can't wait till some clever and industrious person does a timeline that includes events that occured in ADWD.

Ok, so I finished my global reread and timeline, and there are several points that I cannot remove (here is my spreadsheet file with relations between dates):

• In AGOT, Tyrion comes back from the wall way too fast, and Catelyn moves up from KL way too slow, yet it is necessary for them to meet in in the crossroad inn
  • Cersei knows about Tyrion Waters some three months after he is born, yet, it's hard to compress the timeline further so the riots happened 3 months later.
  • In AFFC, Cersei burn the tower of the hand a lot of time after Tywin's funeral, that does not make much sense, yet it has to happen after ASOS Arya 13 and the rape of Saltpans.
  • Stannis arrives at the Wall extremely fast, considering when he gets the news, yet I had a hard time making it longer, as he needs to rescue Jon, and Jon cannot fight Mance for months.
  • Sam, due to the speed of ships, should arrive in Oldtown very late in year 300, yet by then, the captain of the huntress tells him that Cersei is still in command and the Redwyne fleet is still bogged down somewhere. I guess it could fit if Cersei were to somehow become free and reassign the fleet elsewhere, but it's a bit far fetched. Compressing time would mean, yet again, teleporting ships, and even then Sam needs to synch with Arya, and this means not being in synch with Cersei, arg...

(...)

January

01/01/300 ASOS Tyrion 7 Morning of Purple Wedding

01/01/300 ASOS Sansa 4 Purple Wedding. Joff hacks a book

01/01/300 ASOS Tyrion 8 Purple Wedding. Joffrey dies

01/01/300 ASOS Sansa 5 Escapes KL

03/01/300 ASOS Jaime 7 Arrives KL

06/01/300 ASOS Bran 4 Nightfort, had dream about RW nights before

07/01/300 ASOS Jaime 8 At Tyrion's trial, reads white book

08/01/300 ASOS Davos 5 Saan news of KL -> red wedding

09/01/300 ASOS Tyrion 9 Oberyn proposes Tyrion to be his champion

10/01/300 ASOS Davos 6 Edric escapes. News of Purple Wedding

11/01/300 ASOS Jon 6 Leg stiff. Buckwell came back from Crasters 14 days ago

11/01/300 ASOS Tyrion 10 Shae at trial, day after, Duel Oberyn

12/01/300 ASOS Jaime 9 Sends Brienne find Sansa

12/01/300 ASOS Tyrion 11 Escapes, kills Tywin

13/01/300 AFFC Cersei 1 Night of Tywin's death

13/01/300 AFFC Cersei 2 Tywin's funerals

13/01/300 AFFC Jaime 1 Tywin's funerals

15/01/300 ASOS Epilogue Merret is Hanged. Interrogated about Arya

21/01/300 AFFC the Captain of the guards News of Oberyn death in sunspear

21/01/300 ASOS Jon 7 Mole town burning. Aemon sent ravens

22/01/300 ASOS Arya 12 stays and leaves in village mountain of the moon

24/01/300 AFFC Brienne 1 Rosby, then two days to old stone bridge

February

05/02/300 AFFC Brienne 2 Duskendale. Pod joins.

06/02/300 AFFC Soiled Knight 14 days ago, merchant for KL killed (because of Oberyn's death)

07/02/300 AFFC Arianne 1 (Queenmaker) I am of the night. Myrcella wounded.

09/02/300 Sandor lays dying alone

09/02/300 ASOS Sansa 6 KL->finger, leaving for Eyrie

13/02/300 ASOS Jon 8 Mance attacks

16/02/300 ASOS Arya 13 Crossroad Inn. Tickler. Leaving Hound. Riding to Saltpans. Getting aboard Titan's daughter

22/02/300 Rape of saltpans

23/02/300 ASOS Jon 9 still in battle. Mini 4 days

23/02/300 AFFC Brienne 3 Maidenpool, meet Dick Crabb, News Lysa dead, news hound raping & pillaging

25/02/300 AFFC Cersei 3 Tommen's wedding. Burning the tower of the hand

27/02/300 ASOS Jon 10 in jail four days. Stannis arrives

27/02/300 AFFC Jaime 2 Kevan, Olenna and Mace gone.

29/02/300 Stannis arrive at the Wall

March

08/03/300 AFFC Cersei 4 Storm's End besieged

09/03/300 AFFC Arya 1 Reaches Braavos

13/03/300 AFFC Brienne 4 Cracklaw Point. I'm too droll to die.

15/03/300 AFFC Cersei 5 Hear about Doran punishing Arianne's accomplices. Sends man kill Bronn.

21/03/300 AFFC Arianne 2 (Princess in the tower) Fire and Blood

23/03/300 ASOS Sam 4 Arrives Wall. 10 days of voting for LC

23/03/300 ASOS Jon 11 training, proposition by Stannis

24/03/300 ASOS Sam 5 election LC

24/03/300 ASOS Jon 12 elected LC

28/03/300 AFFC Cersei 6 Accepts rearming of the Faith.

30/03/300 ASOS Sansa 7 Only cat

31/03/300 AFFC Victarion 2 (the Reaver) Attack of the shield islands

In Cersei 4th chapter she learns that Jon Snow has been elected Lord Commander of the Night Watch and sends Osney to kill him after he has slept with Margaery.

But you have Cersei's fourth chapter as happening on the 8th of March and Jon Snows election happening on the 24th of March.

Great work, EB. Can I give few corrections I can see on first read? Arya is born early in the year, not in November as you list. She certainly turns 11 in year 300 because we know she is 10 at Harrenhal in year 299, and she is still 10 when she boards the Titan's Daughter in year 300. However because she is already 9 at the welcoming feast (or at least during Robert's visit and before Bran's fall) we know her name day has already taken place in year 298. This puts her name day before Myrcella's, Bran's, Robb's, Jon's, Margaery's, and Sansa's. While it can't be pinned down if her name day takes place before or after Rickon's, Joffrey's, Tommen's, or Daenerys' it is clear she has a early year name day.

Also, you have Jon's name day taking place before Bran's and therefore Robb's. I have Bran's taking place before Robb's because of he is 9 well before the fall of Winterfell and his and Rickon's supposed deaths - the news of which reaches Riverrun only a few days after Robb turns 16. Jon obviously has his name day celebrated after Robb's because Catelyn thinks Jon was conceived after Ned leaves her pregnant and goes off to war in the south.

edit: also the first time we read of the comet is in Bran's last chapter in A Game of Thrones on page 610 in the US hardback, not in Daenerys' chapter where she burns Khal Drogo and MMD. That is not to say it is earlier, but it is not first mentioned for Bran's timeline in ACoK.

Anyway, that's my first read of it. Wonderful work, if I see anything else I'll post it later. Perhaps I should post a thread on the work I've done on name days? Anyone interested?

OK, I went ahead and posted a new thread on character ages. Hope someone else finds it interesting.

Any hint as to when Tommen's birthday is?

Hello All

I have created a version of the timeline including where I think ADwD fits in. I'd like to get feedback on it so please critque away!

Flickr Preview

RapidShare Download

Also first post! Long time reader of the fourms first time contributer.

I seriously can't read that.

Do you think Cersei's nudie walk occurred in 301?

I congradulate everyone here on the great work. People worked really hard on all this its obvious.

However, why do we assume months are 30 days long and years have 12 months and 365 days?

Could it be that Westeros is on a 28 day month, with 13 months to a year and 364 days to a year assuming no leap days etc? It seems like a more natural calander to follow for that type of society.

does this model change anything for people?

I congradulate everyone here on the great work. People worked really hard on all this its obvious.

However, why do we assume months are 30 days long and years have 12 months and 365 days?

Could it be that Westeros is on a 28 day month, with 13 months to a year and 364 days to a year assuming no leap days etc? It seems like a more natural calander to follow for that type of society.

does this model change anything for people?

Not particularly for myself, since for me I was trying to get a "time"/relative perspective on when events were occurring in relation to each other not the actual date.

This series can be a bit confusing since the chapters (due to whatever style choice) are not placed in chronological order. This presents a challenge to us the reader to know when events are happening for each of the characters, until you look at it more in depth.

Not particularly for myself, since for me I was trying to get a "time"/relative perspective on when events were occurring in relation to each other not the actual date.

This series can be a bit confusing since the chapters (due to whatever style choice) are not placed in chronological order. This presents a challenge to us the reader to know when events are happening for each of the characters, until you look at it more in depth.

For me in resolving the pregnancy issues it becomes critical. Human pregnancies are 40 weeks (roughly) or 280 days. 280 days is 10 lunar months.

So with the 5.5 month pregnancy (unviably premature birth) you get 11 extra days with the lunar month model...

Might be enough... barely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I have created a version of the timeline including where I think ADwD fits in. I'd like to get feedback on it so please critque away!

Flickr Preview

RapidShare Download

Also first post! Long time reader of the fourms first time contributer.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. If it was about 3 times the size I might be able to read and decipher it. It looks convoluted enough for the story.

Trying to fit the story to a timeline is futile because it's impossible for the author to really take proper account of time. Inevitably licence must be taken and the reader must suspend disbelief and accept the tale as presented. Still it is good to get an overall idea of whether things different events fit in relation to some rough approximation of chronology.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. If it was about 3 times the size I might be able to read and decipher it. It looks convoluted enough for the story.

Trying to fit the story to a timeline is futile because it's impossible for the author to really take proper account of time. Inevitably licence must be taken and the reader must suspend disbelief and accept the tale as presented. Still it is good to get an overall idea of whether things different events fit in relation to some rough approximation of chronology.

Download the high-rez version it'll be really easy to understand then. I don't have a Pro Flickr Account so they won't show the full/high-rez version.

• 2 weeks later...

Errant Bard, two questions.

1) Why did you put Arya's last chapter so late in 301?

2) Seems like Cersei's chapters in AFFC should cover a lot more time (about 6 months instead of 3), then the problem with the Redwyne fleet will be solved.

Archived