The New NFL Thread

Young Wolf

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1560984' date='Oct 19 2008, 17.37']Ha the Browns and Redskins are tied 0-0 at half. Somebody should sacrifice and bunt in a run. :P[/quote]

Why must I be stuck with this game instead of getting to see Indy and GB? Damn secondary markets. Then again, that doesn't seem to be a very good game either from the few highlights they interrupt for.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1561001' date='Oct 19 2008, 18.10']These afternoon games are full of sucktitude.[/quote]
I had Steelers/Bengals as my early game, and the Jets/Raiders as my 4:00 game. What have I done to deserve seeing the Bengals, Raiders and Jets in one day??

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1560918' date='Oct 19 2008, 14.15']Jeez it just was a couple weeks ago that ESPN was all over the Cowboys nuts calling them the best team in the NFL and a lock to go to the playoffs. The wheels just fell off and the team looks lost. Right now I think the Raiders would give them a game.[/quote]

anyone would give them a game. they ARE lost. seriously. Wade Phillips and Defensive Coordinator Brian Stewart are freaking clueless. The team has no motivation. Thery've seemed to have lost all fire. The only one who seems to try to rally them is TO...and his baggage won't allow him to because the media will say he is whining, not trying to revvup his teammates.

Skins [i]have[/i] to figure out why their total dominance isn't translating to points. They turned Derek Anderson into Ryan Leaf for 90% of the game, ran for almost 200 yards with efficient passing and still had to sweat out a game-tying 54 yard field goal attempt in the closing seconds

The plus side is they've outplayed everyone except the Giants in week 1. And a win's a win. Once I find where I left my stomach I'll celebrate accordingly.

Two weeks ago I was willing to write the Packers season off as having been scuttled by the Favre fiasco after they rolled off 3 consecutive losses and looked rather awful in doing so. Mind you last week's win was against a unusually weak Seahawks team but they actually looked like they came to play. This week was the real deal though. they completely dominated Indianapolis. The colts didn't help themselves by playing a sloppy game but the Packers were in control almost the whole way through. They played with intensity and passion on defense and a relentless, grinding confidence on offense. Their play for the first time this season was finally up to the calibre of the team that went 13-3 last season. And Rodgers (or as we've been calling him around my house, non-Favre) was impressive. Inteligent, controlled, accurate. He showed the kind of restraint and decision making that I would not expect out of a first year starter. While they have a long ways to go before they can be considered a contender again they can go into their bye week in good position to come out and rejoin the elite of the league.

What the fuck has happened to Dallas? I know that a good part of that answer is Wade Phillips. Still though its shocking to see a team that looked so good just a few weeks ago plummet faster than the stock market has been. What a freaking train wreck.

What an unexpected year. I don't think anyone would have thought that nearing the halfway point that Buffalo and Tennessee would be two of the top teams in the league.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1561007' date='Oct 19 2008, 18.19']I had Steelers/Bengals as my early game, and the Jets/Raiders as my 4:00 game. What have I done to deserve seeing the Bengals, Raiders and Jets in one day??[/quote]

Those were my games as well... you know its sad when you're watching a game just because it has a real chance of being the first game to end in a tie in 6 years.

[quote name='Bowed Bent Broken' post='1561042' date='Oct 19 2008, 19.07']OH SNAP!

:lol:

nice job on the T/O[/quote]

This happened just last week in a game too didn't it? I thought this sort of madness would end as soon as it backfired on one or two teams.

[quote name='davos' post='1561349' date='Oct 20 2008, 08.33']Two weeks ago I was willing to write the Packers season off as having been scuttled by the Favre fiasco after they rolled off 3 consecutive losses and looked rather awful in doing so. Mind you last week's win was against a unusually weak Seahawks team but they actually looked like they came to play. This week was the real deal though. they completely dominated Indianapolis. The colts didn't help themselves by playing a sloppy game but the Packers were in control almost the whole way through. They played with intensity and passion on defense and a relentless, grinding confidence on offense. Their play for the first time this season was finally up to the calibre of the team that went 13-3 last season. And Rodgers (or as we've been calling him around my house, non-Favre) was impressive. Inteligent, controlled, accurate. He showed the kind of restraint and decision making that I would not expect out of a first year starter. While they have a long ways to go before they can be considered a contender again they can go into their bye week in good position to come out and rejoin the elite of the league.[/quote]

Thought it was fitting that the Packers played the Colts this week as those are the two Box of Chocolate teams this season: Y'never know what you're gonna get. The degree to which each one varies in performance from week to week is astounding. Can't tell if either one is great, mediocre or just schizophrenic. For the life of me I don't know how the Colts shred the Ravens with such ease only to be completely stymied the Packers. Did Peyton Manning get away with one just by knowing the Ravens scheme so intimately well? What looked like a team finally hitting on all cylinders gets thoroughly dominated by a team that, to this point, had been as inconsistent as them. Maybe the Packers turned the corner with this one or maybe they just matchup really well with the Colts. Honestly, I don't have a clue. Been confounded by both more times than I can count already.

Thoughts on the week:

-Can somebody alert the media that the Jets are not that good? That they are actually a bad team? Can we get a spokesman from NBC just to admit this? Why do I have to be told they are “on the rise” when they cannot seem to beat OKALAND! BAH!

-I cannot fathom how the Colts can look so bad after looking so good? Unless, of course, they never LOOKED good. Its all coming undone for a team the reasons MOST really good teams go on the decline. And I am enjoying exactly 0 of it. Thank you Mr. Pollard.

-The Packers are suddenly on the upswing while the ‘Boys are in the midst of “Oh $h!t! Wade Phillips is our head coach? Really? The Cowboys epitomize the “Matt Cassell” misconception. Namely that really good teams have very capable backups just waiting to go in, and the Patriots are just morons for not having one of those. Well, the patriots ARE morons, but so are many, many other teams. The VAST majority of back-ups are terrible. Their job is to finish a game the starter cannot (ie- minor injury, blowout, etc). The majority are incapable of leading the team in the wake of the starter’s demise. Cassell ain’t the only woefully incompetent starter who was a backup. Dallas has PLENTY of other problems, most notably, their DBs are so bad that, you may not know this, they had Packman Jones playing for them. I KNOW! They tried pretending he was a different guy by calling him “Adam Jones” and people were fooled. Especially ESPN! What a massive clusetrfuck down there. 8-1 on Phillips getting fired today.

-The Titans are very good, even though playing the Chiefs even makes Matt Cassell look good. They are still undefeated and they also overwrite my theory above- some teams have very capable backups. I guess the issue here is, “Just how good was Vince Young?” I think Tennessee is the favorite at this point in the AFC.

-I just like watching the Chargers lose. Is that wrong? I’m sorry. I am. They deserve better, but GOD I love it! That makes me a bad person, I know.

-Two West Coast teams flew East this week and played the 1pm game. They both lost. I want a Senate investigation. I think this is REALLY UNFAIR to the west Coast teams. Unless it’s the Chargers.

-The Bengals suck. Lions are worse.

-“Wildcat… wildcat… I’m gonna go…” Thanks for playing Miami.

-I need to know, form a Bears fan POV- do you look at the Bears performing NOW and think, “If they had just made this move two years ago…” And do you randomly cry out, “DAMN YOU GROSSMAN!” Or is it more like Shatner in “Wrath of Khan”? GROSSSSMAANNNNNNNN!!!!!” They looked like a fun team to watch, and I am 100% serious when I say that. Because I get to watch Matt Cassell throw underhand tonight! Are you ready for some football?

-Hi- we are the Panthers and we are thrilled you have forgotten about us!

-I need the Pats to win… but somewhere out there, there is a fan who is writing, “God, I LOVE watching the Patriots lose! I love it!” And then, I remember the line I wrote that I LOVE watching the Chargers lose, and I know… we’re doomed.

POLLLARRRDDD!!!!

Nice ramblings, Rock.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1561413' date='Oct 20 2008, 10.08']-Two West Coast teams flew East this week and played the 1pm game. They both lost. I want a Senate investigation. I think this is REALLY UNFAIR to the west Coast teams. Unless it’s the Chargers.[/quote]

I really think this whole thing is overblown. I mean where exactly is the border between teams being competent or drunkenly incompetent when playing on the East Coast? Is it along the San Andreas Fault, west of the Rockies, between the Pacific and Mountain Time Zones? I mean where is that line that when a team crosses it...Kurt Warner forgets how to hold onto a football and the Chargers forget how to score? How'd the 49ers ever win when they went east during their glory years? Were planes faster back then?

How 'bout the West Coast teams just aren't as good as they've been. Except the Cardinals...who are the Cardinals.....

[quote]I really think this whole thing is overblown. I mean where exactly is the border between teams being competent or drunkenly incompetent when playing on the East Coast? Is it along the San Andreas Fault, west of the Rockies, between the Pacific and Mountain Time Zones?[/quote]

I would say anyone who plays in the Pacific Time Zone. The traveling has to be murder. And they are the ONLY teams that lose 3 hours and NEVER gain an hour (ie- Denver gains an hour when they play Oakland and SD). Only the Raiders and Seattle have made the Superbowl since 2001... and both had home field throught the playoffs in those years... hmmm....

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1561452' date='Oct 20 2008, 10.48']I would say anyone who plays in the Pacific Time Zone. The traveling has to be murder. And they are the ONLY teams that lose 3 hours and NEVER gain an hour (ie- Denver gains an hour when they play Oakland and SD). Only the Raiders and Seattle have made the Superbowl since 2001... and both had home field throught the playoffs in those years... hmmm....[/quote]

But if you have home field throughout the playoffs, you're almost certainly the better team (historic runs by Colts and Steelers not withstanding). Not to mention when a West Coast teams travels to the East Coast to the playoffs, it's not just that it's a West Coast team playing an East Coast team...it's a warm-weather team playing a cold-weather one in the dead of winter. There's a reason these arguments don't apply to the Broncos...who are only [i]one [/i]hour different than all these disadvantaged teams.

I do think the complaints about East Coast trips for West Coast teams are overblown, but I can verify from my own personal experience, traveling from Boston to LA or Seattle several times a year, that the jet lag is much harder going from west to east than from east to west.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1561481' date='Oct 20 2008, 11.06']I do think the complaints about East Coast trips for West Coast teams are overblown, but I can verify from my own personal experience, traveling from Boston to LA or Seattle several times a year, that the jet lag is much harder going from west to east than from east to west.[/quote]

That's fair. I'm not going to say there's no jet lag effect...just that it's the smallest part of why these teams are getting blown out when they head east. At most as much of an effect as playing a team who played the previous Monday Night.

For those West Coast teams, it's just a 10 AM start time. It's not like they are waking up at the equivalent of dawn to them to go out and play a game.

Now, this ridiculous London game featuring the Chargers? That's a travesty. Tab East Coast teams for Europe play, West Coast teams for Asia games, and southern-ish teams for anything in Mexico. Buffalo is already playing in Canada, so that direction on the compass is covered.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1561554' date='Oct 20 2008, 08.57']Now, this ridiculous London game featuring the Chargers? That's a travesty. Tab East Coast teams for Europe play, West Coast teams for Asia games, and southern-ish teams for anything in Mexico. Buffalo is already playing in Canada, so that direction on the compass is covered.[/quote]

In this instance, with the game following on the heels of a game in Buffalo, and followed by a bye, I think it is reasonable from the Charger perspective.

And the fans in London are going to see two very prolific offensive teams, each of whom will be horribly handicapped by injuries.

Tonight's game intrigues me. I am guaranteed at least one good outcome.
Either the Patriots lose or the Chargers stay only one game back of the Broncos. Good for me either way.

Archived