What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

Off the top of my head, the ones I can think of are:

"There are no men like me. There's only me" - The Kingslayer. I really really like this line.

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different." – The Hound

"They called him Kingmaker" - Jaime Lannister

And at the moment, my favourite is:

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died." - Jorah Mormont.

There are a load of Tyrion ones that I can't remember at the moment.

For reference:
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=27184"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=27184[/url]
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=5775"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=5775[/url]

[quote name='Errant Bard' post='1558610' date='Oct 16 2008, 22.23']For reference:
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=27184"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=27184[/url]
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=5775"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=5775[/url][/quote]

I forgot to use the search feature...

[we need a facepalm smilie]

[quote name='LittleFinger6000' post='1558716' date='Oct 16 2008, 17.54']"For they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming."[/quote]
Love this one! It offers that look on the whole of Westerosi chivalry contrasted against a sense of impending doom.

So many wonderful lines, so little time.

[i]"What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms ... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."[/i]

I mentioned this in the underrated scenes thread. How awesome is that, I mean, how awesome is that?! Wind and words, wind and words. I'll tell you: its [i]awesome[/i]. Oh Aemon, undie plz kthx.

[i]"So many vows ... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."[/i]

By the time Jaime has said this, the reader has seen it play out in the story with their own eyes, and is instantly drawn into Jaime's perspective. Great timing, great drama.

[i]"Saved me?" The Lhazareen woman spat. "Three riders had taken me, not as a man takes a woman but from behind, as a dog takes a bitch. The fourth was in me when you rode past. How then did you save me? I saw my god's house burn, where I had healed good men beyond counting. My home they burned as well, and in the street I saw piles of heads. I saw the head of a baker who made my bread. I saw the head of a boy I had saved from deadeye fever, only three moons past. I heard children crying as the riders drove them off withtheir whips. Tell me again what you saved."[/i]

Probably my favorite moment in all of Dany's story, save Viserys' crowning. Mirri's words reflect the people who truly suffer in the conflicts of nobles and leaders, and how life itself is so empty without something to live for. I love that it offers a genuine and human moment of question and doubt to Dany's doings.

[i]"Is it all lies, forever and ever, everyone and everything?"[/i]

As Littlefinger steals Sansa away from King's Landing far from any semblance of friends or allies, her of all people finally saying something like this signals a great change in the story direction. Once someone finally hits disillusionment, what direction is there left to go?

[i]Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.[/i]

The Tower of Joy dream gets a lot of attention for its lyrical romanticism, and for all its greatness this has probably become my favorite part over time. The idea that real tangible people in Ned's life, people he could name and describe, have become faceless shadows, that just implies such a numbing passage of time, very nicely communicated IMO.

[i]So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either.[/i]

One of the few hopeful notes we're given, and from a POV who's had nothing but struggle in his young life since almost the start of the series.

Will think of more, surely.

Just one from each book, but there's a _lot_ to choose from:

[quote]"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends."[/quote]

[quote]"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."[/quote]

[quote]That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.[/quote]

[quote]"Vengeance." His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. "Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, "Fire and blood."[/quote]

Everything Dolorous Ed ever says.

Shagga "I will cut off your manhood and feed it to the fire."
Tyrion "What no goats?"
Shagga "Shagga could not find any."
Tyrion "You'll make do."

yeah that was badly paraphrased.

Tyrion "Why does a bear shit in the woods? Because it's his nature."

Tyrion "Only me, the one they hate. The dwarf, the evil counselor, the twisted little monkey demon. I'm all that stands between them and chaos."

"Ser Rodrick had you five-to-one."
"Aye, but he thought us friends. A common mistake. When the old fool gave me his hand, I took of half his arm instead. Then I let him see my face." The man put both hands to his helm and lifted it off his head, holding it in the crook of his arm.

No one can betray like a Bolton. Ahh the mirror backstabs, 2 in one day. Not even Baelish has done this yet.

He watched from the trees as the fat boy wrestled with a longbow as tall as he was, his red moon face screwed up with concentration. Three arrows stood in the ground before him. Tarly nocked and drew, held the draw a long moment as he tried to aim, and let fly. The shaft vanished into the greenery. Chett laughed loudly, a snort of sweet disgust. "We'll never find that one, and I'll be blamed," announced Edd Tollett, the dour grey-haired squire everyone called Dolorous Edd. "Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that time I lost my horse." As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?

• 2 years later...

I'm reading AGoT on a Kindle for PC and being that the Kindle gives you the ability to highlight notable parts of your reading material, it also has a nice little feature that informs you of popular highlights - those parts of the book that are highlighted by most other fellow readers.

I just thought I'd share the most popular highlights from AGoT halfway through the book:

"A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

"If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

“Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?” he heard his own voice saying, small and far away. And his father’s voice replied to him. “That is the only time a man can be brave.”

"Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.”

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore."

"We all need to be mocked from time to time, Lord Mormont, lest we start to take ourselves too seriously,"

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends,” Ser Jorah told her. “It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.” He gave a shrug. “They never are.”

and these are a couple that I just highlighted on my own without being popular highlights:

"None of us wants trouble, but I fear these are troubled times,"

Singers loved nothing half so well as the sound of their own voices.

There are too many great quotes to list. Easier simply to post all dialogue from all of the books. :smoking:

Here is one of my favorites:

"I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one. Laws are a tedious business and counting coppers is worse. And the people…there is no end of them. I sit on that damnable chair and listen to them complain until my mind is numb and my ass is raw. They all want something, money or land or justice. The lies they tell…and my lords and ladies are no better. I am surrounded by flatterers and fools. It can drive a man to madness, Ned. Half of them don’t dare tell me the truth, and the other half can’t find it."

Awesome quotes.

Some of my favorites, not already mentioned:

"Maybe I never saw a camel, but I know a camel's cunt when I smell one." - Arya

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." - Yvette

"Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same." - Cersei

“Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.” –Tyrion

"Stick them with the pointy end." - Jon

Scarlet-tinged spittle flew from the fat innkeep's mouth as she begged of Catelyn Stark, "Don't kill him here!" "Don't kill him anywhere," Tyrion urged.

"Handless and Noseless, the Lannister Boys." -Tyrion

Joffery: "She has the blood of the wolf..."

Tyrion: "Well you have the wits of a goose."

Lady Sybell: "His natural daughter?"

Jaime: "No more than I want Joy to marry the son of some scheming turncloak bitch." Jamie would happily have strangled the woman with her seashell necklace.

"If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either.

That's probably my favorite line since it gave me hope.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death... I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Vows of the Night Watch

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

“When you tear out a man’s tongue, you’re not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world what you fear he might say.”

when Tyrion was telling us what happened after he got captured

Masha Heddle "Don't kill him here"

Tyrion "Don't kill him anywhere"

Archived