What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

'Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death... I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.' - Oaths of the Nights Watch. I love this. It's depressing, but still.

'Once the sun is gone, no candle can replace it.' - Loras. Coming from a 17 year old, this sentence was just really sad.

'They called him Kingmaker.' - Jaime.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

It's been quoted twice already, yet not in its entirety. What the man of the Night's Watch gives up in his vows is very important, and gives the vow even more of a deep ring.

• 4 months later...

"You have juice on your face, Your Grace." Arya to Sansa

"The way it's raining we'll have moss growing from our ears before long."

"Only from our south ear." Arya to Gendry

"Aerys thought no harm could come to him if he kept me near," he told his father's corpse. "Isn't that amusing?" Lord Tywin seemed to think so; his smile was wider than before. He seems to enjoy being dead.

And I could go on all day with this but I'll stop there.

I loved the whole scene when Jaime is meeting with the Kingsguard for the first time after returning to King's Landing, and basically showing his contempt for them. My absolute favorite part of that is when he is talking about Donnel the 'constant,' and recommends that he place a weather-vane on his shield. Here it is:

"It's not Ser Donnel the Constant who concerns me. It's you... What will you do if brave Ser Donnel gives his sword to yet another?... It happened to me... You have no answer?... Good. Return to your duties... and tell Ser Donnel to add a weathervane to his shield."

He rode Honor up to the holdfast gates. "You in the holdfast. We mean you no harm. We're king's men."

Faces appeared on the wall above the gate. "They was king's men burned our village," one man called down. "Before that, some other king's men took our sheep. They were for a different king, but that didn't matter none to our sheep..."

"Not my men," Jaime said. "Will you open your gates?"

"When you're gone we will."

Good dialogue and a good view of the misery which all the "true king" BS has caused. What raises this interchange to the highest level, though, is that it is a rare point in the story--a place where one of the common people actually has a voice of his own.

This one gives me chills

"Winter is coming, and when the long night falls, only the Night's watch will stand between the realm and the darkness that sweeps from the north. The gods help us all if we are not ready."

Jeor Mormont to Tyrion Lannister

Even better:

Jeor Mormont: When dead men and worse come hunting for us in the night, you think it matters who sits on the Iron Throne?

“What will you do when he crosses?”

“Fight. Kill. Die, maybe.”

“Aren’t you afraid? The gods might send you down to some terrible hell for all the evil you've done.”

“What evil?” He laughed. “What gods?”

“The gods who made us all.”

“All?” he mocked. “Tell me, little bird, what kind of god makes a monster like the Imp, or a halfwit like Lady Tanda’s daughter? If there are gods, they made sheep so wolves could eat mutton, and they made the weak for the strong to play with.”

“True knights protect the weak.”

He snorted. “There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can’t protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don’t ever believe any different.”

Sansa backed away from him. “You're awful.”

“I'm honest. It’s the world that’s awful.” - Sansa Stark and Sandor Clegane

A sharp and true statement that works in fiction and real life as well. Sandor Clegane should consider philosophy as a hobby, he's good at it.

"Small men curse what they cannot understand." - Melisandre

Another very true statement.

"I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."

"Archmaester Rigney once wrote that history is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging. What has happened before will perforce happen again." - Rodrik the Reader

The Reader is quite smart, and very right about both of these things.

"Gorghon of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is...and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time." - Maester Marwyn

So many things that are true.

Archived