What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

"So young. Yet mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he may have grown to be a Frey."

The second best insult of the whole series, under Roose's classic one in the same book.

Manderly is just awesome. I can't wait to see him on the show.

Indeed. I almost picture him as a John Goodman. An elder statesman with just a touch of funny and crazy. Kind of like his characters in Argo and Flight.

“Three times the gods saw fit to test my vows. Once when I was a boy, once in the fullness of my manhood, and once when I had grown old. By then my strength was fled, my eyes grown dim, yet that last choice was as cruel as the first. My ravens would bring the news from the south, words darker than their wings, the ruin of my House, the death of my kin, disgrace and desolation. What could I have done, old, blind, frail? I was helpless as a suckling babe, yet still it grieved me to sit forgotten as they cut down my brother’s poor grandson, and his son, and even the little children...”
Jon was shocked to see the shine of tears in the old man’s eyes. “Who are you?” he asked quietly, almost in dread.
A toothless smile quivered on the ancient lips. “Only a maester of the Citadel, bound in service to Castle Black and the Night’s Watch. In my order, we put aside our house names when we take our vows and don the collar.” The old man touched the maester’s chain that hung loosely around his thin, fleshless neck. “My father was Maekar, the First of his Name, and my brother Aegon reigned after him in my stead. My grandfather named me for Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, who was his uncle, or his father, depending on which tale you believe. Aemon, he cal ed me..”
“Aemon... Targaryen?” Jon could scarcely believe it.
“Once,” the old man said. “Once. So you see, Jon, I do know... and knowing, I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it all the rest of your days. As I have.” His voice fell to a whisper. “As I have...”

Aemon Targaryen, AGOT

Gendry: How'd you know he was a knight?
Hot Pie: . . . Wells, cause he's got a-armor on.
Gendry: You don't have to be a knight to have armor. Any idiot can buy armor!
Hot Pie: How'd you know?
Gendry: Cause I sold armor!

• 2 weeks later...
“Chataya’s on the Street of Silk has several girls who might suit your needs. Dancy has hair the color of honey. Marei’s is pale white-gold. I would advise you to keep one or the other by your side at all times, my lord.”
“At all times?” Prince Oberyn lifted a thin black eyebrow. “And why is that, my good imp?”
“You want to die with a breast in hand, you said.” Tyrion cantered on ahead to where the ferry barges waited on the south bank of the Blackwater. He had suffered all he meant to suffer of what passed for Dornish wit.

Every sentence that passed between these two is pure gold, but this part always gives me the chills.

"Jamie, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Garion, and fight like Tyg, and there must be some of Kevan in you as well or you wouldn't wear that cloak. But Tyrion is Tywin's son not you. I told him once and he didn't speak to me for half a year."

''Every man's a piece to start with and every maid as well . Even some who think they are players. Cersei for one. She thinks herself sly, but in truth she is utterly predictable. Her strength rests on her beauty, birth, and riches. Only the first of those is truly her own, and it will soon desert her. I pity her then. She wants power but has no notion what to do with it when she gets it."

I want both those bits included on the show.

So young," said Wyman Manderly, "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

I have just seen that the Queen of Whores beat me to this quote, still I think this awesome insult deserves as much posts as possible.

“A daughter.” Brienne’s eyes filled with tears. “He deserves that. A daughter who could sing to him and grace his hall and bear him grandsons. He deserves a son too, a strong and gallant son to bring honor to his name. Galladon drowned when I was four and he was eight, though, and Alysanne and Arianne died still in the cradle. I am the only child the gods let him keep. The freakish one, not fit to be a son or daughter.” - Brienne VI, AFFC

Some doors are best left closed.” - Cersei Lannister, AFFC

"He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended.” - Samwell Tarly, AFFC

"Though I do wish he had a better name than Littlefinger. How little is it, do you know?" - Randa Royce, AFFC

"I must be Alayne all the time, inside and out." - Sansa Stark, AFFC

Off the top of my head, the ones I can think of are:

"There are no men like me. There's only me" - The Kingslayer. I really really like this line.

I came here intending on stating this line. I really liked it as well. Especially since he looked like a deranged overgrown wildcat locked behind a cell. Coming from him, this line meant a lot. I thought it was really cool.

Archived