What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

"Can I dwell on what I scarce remember? I held a castle on the Marches once, and there was a woman I was pledged to marry, but I could not find that castle today, nor tell you the color of that woman's hair. Who knighted me, old friend? What were my favorite foods? It all fades. Sometimes I think I was born on the bloody grass in thatgrove of ash, with the taste of fire in my mouth and a hole in my chest. Are you my mother, Thoros?"

Beric Dondarrion to Thoros de Myr

Two of my favorites.

"Petyr said that Prince Lewyn had been sorely wounded by the time the tide of battle has swept him to his final dance with Lady Forlorn, but added , That's not a point you'll want to raise with Cordray, though. Those who do are soon given the chance to ask Martell himself the truth of it, down in the halls of hell. " 

Blackfish  "Call it what you will. It stinks of Tywin Lannister"

Jaimie could not deny that . "My father is dead as well"

"May the Father judge him justly"

Now, there's an awful prospect

• 2 weeks later...

"Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray." 

• 4 months later...

“Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.”

"Lord Pea Pod. If you were a man, I would kill you for that, but my sword is made of too fine a steel to besmirch with craven’s blood.”

“Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been.”

All from big bucket wull!!!

• 8 months later...

"Tell me, Bronn. If I told you to kill a babe . . . an infant girl, say, still at her mother's breast . . . would you do it? Without question?"

"Without question? No." The sellsword rubbed thumb and forefinger together. "I'd ask how much."

"Justice." Thoros smiled wanly. "I remember justice. It had a pleasant taste. Justice was what we were about when Beric led us, or so we told ourselves. We were king's men, knights, and heroes . . . but some knights are dark and full of terror, my lady. War makes monsters of us all."

"Sins may be forgiven. Crimes require punishment."

"I only rescue maidens."

"I dreamed of you."

Jaime Lannister's pickup lines.

"This isn't King's Landing."

For someone supposedly so humorless, Stannis can be a hoot.

"When I'm king in my own right, I'm going to outlaw beets."

Gods bless king Tommen.

On 9/16/2015 at 0:50 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

"Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray." 

I'm not going to lie every quote from Varys has been golden for me and Maester Aemon's "Egg i dreamt that i was old," still gives me the feels.

But,when i read this,when laid my eyes on this not only did i tip and invisible hat i said to myself "that is some sweet writing."

• 9 months later...

Archived