ASOIAF Timeline

Oblique

If at all possible, would anyone be kind enough to direct me to one of the timeline spreadsheets for the books I've seen here previously? I believe Jon Targaryen was the one who made them, but I'm not sure...

Thanks! :P

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but is there a timeline of the events right before during and just after the War of the Usurper? Specifically interested in the timeline of events between the Tourney of Harrenhal and the Sack of KL.

For example, when does Ned and his seven companions journey to the Tower of Joy? And why only the 7? And more importantly, why wasn't Robert one of these companions?

• 1 year later...

I have another question about the exact timeline...this is probably stated explicitly in the books, but I haven't been able to find it, and the data online is inconsistent.

Specifically, I am confused about the exact timeline of events leading up to Robert's Rebellion. I know it started with Rhaegar crowning Lyanna as Queen of Love and Beauty. Then, two things happen: the Mad King kills Lord Stark and Brandon, and Rhaegar absconds with Lyanna. But what's the order of these two? I've seen it both ways in histories online...

Either

A ) after the tournament, the Starks were so offended that they appealed to Aerys to reprimand Rhaegar, and they were executed. This makes Rhaegar realize the dangers at court, and he runs off with Lyanna.

or B ) amid the scandal of the tournament, Rhaegar runs off with Lyanna. This is what prompts the Starks to appeal to Aerys. They're still executed.

Personally, I think B makes more sense, but I've seen a lot of websites list those two events as happening in the opposite order. There are a lot of mentions in the book about both of those events, but in my current reread I have not found anyone specifically stating which one caused the other...if you can provide that information, I'd be very grateful.

The incident with Rhaegar and Lyanna takes place before the Trial of Fire.

This is clear because there is a quote (in ASOS I believe, sorry don't have that information to hand) which states that Brandon and his father Rickard are on their way to Riverrun for his marriage to Catelyn when he hears about what happened to his sister (although we still don't know exactly what happened). So he decides to go directly to King's Landing instead and arrives at the Red Keep furious and demanding Rhaegar come out to speak to him and hand over his sister.

Of course Rhaegar and Lyanna are not there, they are on their way south to the Tower of Joy and so Aerys arrests Rickard, Brandon and his companions Ethan Glover, Jeffory Mallister, Kyle Royce and Elbert Arryn. Aerys then sends out a summons for the fathers of Brandon's companions to come at once to King's Landing to answer for their son's insolence.

After they have all arrived we get the Trial of Fire where Brandon, Rikard and all the companions except Ethan Glover (unclear why he was allowed to live) are all killed.

After this Aerys sends out the summons to Jon Arryn to have his wards Eddard and Robert arrested which Jon refuses to do thus kick starting the rebellion.

ETA: The Tourney at Harrenhal takes place approx. 6 months before Rhaegar abducts Lyanna. After the Tourney Brandon travels to Riverrun to speak with his betrothed Catelyn Tully which is when he duels Petyr Baelish. He then returns to Winterfell for some reason before leaving to come south (this is where the quote in AGOT about Eddard's father going south with 200 men and never returning fits in).

We don't yet know what happened to Lyanna after the tourney, whether she returned to Winterfell, whether she went to King's Landing or somewhere else. There is not enough information to say whether she genuinely loved Rhaegar and went with him willingly or if she was taken against her will. We all have theories and opinions on this but George has kept this point vague enough that it could go either way.

Archived