College Football

Gold Storm

This should be enough for TT to pass over Penn State in the rankings, but Bama should stay ahead and take over the #1 spot. Florida will also probably move ahead of USC among the top one-loss teams. Oklahoma State is going to get a chance to play spoiler again, lets see if they can do better this time. At this point the Big 12 and SEC championship games might make for an informal playoff, where the winner of each go on to the MNC game.

[quote name='Lukkake' post='1574542' date='Nov 1 2008, 22.01']At this point the Big 12 and SEC championship games might make for an informal playoff, where the winner of each go on to the MNC game.[/quote]

Nobody in the Big 12 North has a hope for the championship game, but they could play spoiler because they won't put a non big 12 CG winner in the MNC again.

So here's a thought - if both USC and Oregon St win out the Beavers will go to the Rose Bowl (despite a worse overall record they'd both be at one loss in the conference with OSU getting the tie-breaker) but a one-loss USC (overall) would likely be very high in the final BCS rankings (probably top five I'd imagine but unlikely in the top two unless some crazy stuff happens). There are also going to potentially be some really good teams to potentially have one loss and also not win their conference.

At the end of the season all of the following teams may be one-loss and not have won their conference:

Texas
OU
Texas Tech (assuming loss in Big 12 Championship)
Alabama (assuming loss in SEC Championship)
USC

Who is shut out of a BCS bowl? The Pac-10 typically has not had success in getting at large selections (unless the at-large is USC, see 2002).

[quote name='Circle Breaker' post='1574583' date='Nov 2 2008, 01.05']Who is shut out of a BCS bowl? The Pac-10 typically has not had success in getting at large selections (unless the at-large is USC, see 2002).[/quote]

I really don't know, but Penn State benefits the most from the Texas upset. The best teams right now are Florida and whoever wins the Big 12 (south). If Alabama goes undefeated, which I still don't think they'll do, they should also go to the NC game.

I don't think Texas Tech goes undefeated. They have a hard road ahead and they've got a target on their back now.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1574584' date='Nov 2 2008, 02.25']I really don't know, but Penn State benefits the most from the Texas upset. The best teams right now are Florida and whoever wins the Big 12 (south). If Alabama goes undefeated, which I still don't think they'll do, they should also go to the NC game.

I don't think Texas Tech goes undefeated. They have a hard road ahead and they've got a target on their back now.[/quote]

Yeah, they have to go into Norman and play a team that will be fighting for its BCS berth or any shot at returning to the title game. Oklahoma State is no walkover either. Like Texas, I don't think Texas Tech has the defense to get through three major tests in a row. They'll slip up somewhere and will back to the annual beauty contest to find the one loss team to play a big ten champ. This is why I hate college football sometimes.

[quote name='Lukkake' post='1574530' date='Nov 1 2008, 23.48']Awesome finish to Texas Tech vs Texas. It's really a shame Texas Techs' fans rushing the field prematurely twice though. It's pretty clear they aren't used to big games like this. I'd almost like to see Shipley or someone take it back for a TD.[/quote]

I was pulling for Texas, a foreig concept to me. But yea youre right TT fans werent used to it, they had to punt out of the endzone, a situtation that could have ultimately cost them the game.

Now, directly at you Luk (and HS if he's lurking about) I'm going to be pulling for ya'll to win the ACC. I'm feeling a classic Orange bowl match-up between the ACC and the Big East. Things could go south but it looks like WVU has the best shot at winning the BE and getting a bid. I'd love a shot at getting the black diamond back.

God, you don't know how much I want a VT / WVU matchup. We're a bit shaky this year, but the chance of us beating you is so worth it.

Top 7 prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Texas Tech
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma
7. USC

doh, I initially had Texas at seven, then remembered Texas beat Oklahoma, so they're unlikely to fall too far in the polls, they could even be four with floridat at five.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1574608' date='Nov 2 2008, 02.36']Top 7 prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Texas Tech
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma
7. USC

doh, I initially had Texas at seven, then remembered Texas beat Oklahoma, so they're unlikely to fall too far in the polls, they could even be four with floridat at five.[/quote]

Seems about right, though I still think Florida is the best team in the country.

Also, that Texas Tech offensive line is unreal, Harrol could have stood in the pocket for a minute on some of those plays.

Corvallis was not as cold or as rainy as I thought that it would be. Close game that the Beavers were able to gut out the win despite losing their QB and looking that sharp.

The Ducks burned Darron Thomas redshirt, and then decided not to play him. They should put him in and see what happens.

[quote name='Circle Breaker' post='1574583' date='Nov 1 2008, 22.05']So here's a thought - if both USC and Oregon St win out the Beavers will go to the Rose Bowl (despite a worse overall record they'd both be at one loss in the conference with OSU getting the tie-breaker) but a one-loss USC (overall) would likely be very high in the final BCS rankings (probably top five I'd imagine but unlikely in the top two unless some crazy stuff happens). There are also going to potentially be some really good teams to potentially have one loss and also not win their conference.

Who is shut out of a BCS bowl? The Pac-10 typically has not had success in getting at large selections (unless the at-large is USC, see 2002).[/quote]

The PAC 10 commissioner will fight and campaign to get USC an at large BSC Bowl bid, but he will not fight for anybody else. If USC does not get into the Rose Bowl there is a good chance they will get an at large.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1574783' date='Nov 2 2008, 10.58']The PAC 10 commissioner will fight and campaign to get USC an at large BSC Bowl bid, but he will not fight for anybody else. If USC does not get into the Rose Bowl there is a good chance they will get an at large.[/quote]

I couldn't see SC not getting into a BCS bowl while being one-loss but stranger things have happened I guess - Oregon and Cal have both been screwed in recent years. The ratings would be too good to not select them and a venue like the fiesta bowl is proximal enough to SoCal (and in the Pac-10 itself) which would ensure great ticket sales. USC vs a Big 12 champ (assuming they are not in the title game) would be very appealing. Should Bama make it to the MNC game I'd think USC-Florida would be another classic.

The more I think about it, USC missing the Rose Bowl sets up some potentially intriguing matchups - more than having to play a Big Ten team (the chances of a rematch with tOSU or even Michigan State would be fair should Penn State go to the title game).

I still think one of the greatest BCS screw jobs of all time was Kansas being chosen over Missouri last year. Sure, KU was one-loss - only because they didn't have to play a conference championship and never played OU (which Mizzou had to do twice). Lame.

Well, I just got back from the game. First, congrats H von T. Good game. My thoughts:

I sure have missed going to this game. It was a great time. 2 days of drinking on the beach with about 5000 people. Lots of young college girls walking around. I felt like an old dirty man. Fun at night with good food and bars. The tailgating is nice with lots of fans from both teams yelling and having a good time. Most are fun, but a few Florida fans reminded me of why I despise Florida so much. As for the game:

I felt we were in it at halftime. I thought we should have been winning the game if not be down 14 to 13. When you play a good team, you have to execute and not give away points. 2 missed field goals is bad. The onside kick was stupid. Just like the Bama game, we get an early interception and have it negated by a penalty. I thought the challenge on the spot was going to be reversed. He looked down. Not sure how Stafford missed our TE so bad in the endzone in the first half. The second was all about turnovers. We gave them to many easy points. Nice pull of the jersey on Asher Allen on the bomb in the second half. I do not understand why Moreno takes himself out of the game every time we get to the 20 yard line. We move the ball, we put King in, we lose yards. No respect for him. Moreno adds a dimension even if he does not get the ball. Overall, a bunch of mistakes and miscues by us, none by Florida. Florida deserved to win. They were better. I do not think they are that much better then us, but still better. Last random thought, Urban Meyer continues to prove why he is such an asshole.

I think what Meyer did last night in keeping the players in til the end if not nearly as bad as what Richt pulled last year in the game. Both are funny and childish too, but its really just a rivalry. And hardasses in college tend to work, especially in the SEC. Look at Meyer, Saban or old Spurrier.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1574880' date='Nov 2 2008, 14.35']I think what Meyer did last night in keeping the players in til the end if not nearly as bad as what Richt pulled last year in the game. Both are funny and childish too, but its really just a rivalry. And hardasses in college tend to work, especially in the SEC. Look at Meyer, Saban or old Spurrier.[/quote]

I think he's referring to the fact that Meyer called two timeouts right at the end of the game in order to prolong it. But IMO, Georgia brought that on themselves last year. I don't like Florida or Meyer at all, but I do enjoy some well-earned spite.

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1574887' date='Nov 2 2008, 16.43']I think he's referring to the fact that Meyer called two timeouts right at the end of the game in order to prolong it. But IMO, Georgia brought that on themselves last year. I don't like Florida or Meyer at all, but I do enjoy some well-earned spite.[/quote]

It was the 2 time outs at the end. I can understand trying to rub it in some b/c of the celebration last year, but Meyer does this shit a lot. The extra kick at the end of the Miami game. Throwing bombs with the starters in with about 10 minutes left against LSU. LSU's last score was from a fumble by Tebow on a bomb attempt when they were up by about 40. I guess it makes the rivalry better. Oh well. It is over. I look forward to next year.

Great ending to the TT game. I saw it at a bar in St. Simon's. Awesome game.

I am thinking Fulmer is gone soon. Tuberville may be also.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1574897' date='Nov 2 2008, 16.56']I am thinking Fulmer is gone soon. Tuberville may be also.[/quote]

I don't understand why Tuberville's on the hot seat. Yea Auburn is having a bad year, but come on. They have beat Alabama 6 times in a row, they won a bowl last year, theyve recently beaten Florida, LSU, and Georgia, theyve won at least 9 games a season since 2004, including an undefeated season, and a BCS win. A lot of teams would kill for that resume. Guys a good coach, I think they should give him some slack.

Archived