College Football

Gold Storm

Haven't been around much the last few weeks...I missed a week in the pick em contest, some I'm screwed there. Anyway, great ending to the Texas/TT game last night....although when TT had to kickoff from their endzone at the end, I was almost hoping for a runback, Stanford/Cal kinda thing to happen...

Ah well, VT vs. Maryland on Thursday night...keep an eye out for me, I might be the guy playing QB for VT by the time the night's over...

[quote name='S John' post='1574591' date='Nov 2 2008, 01.42']Now, directly at you Luk (and HS if he's lurking about) I'm going to be pulling for ya'll to win the ACC. I'm feeling a classic Orange bowl match-up between the ACC and the Big East. Things could go south but it looks like WVU has the best shot at winning the BE and getting a bid. I'd love a shot at getting the black diamond back.

God, you don't know how much I want a VT / WVU matchup. We're a bit shaky this year, but the chance of us beating you is so worth it.[/quote]

I think I've said it before, but I'm with you 100%. I would love to play West Virginia in a bowl game. It seems like it should be inevitable at some point considering how many ACC vs Big East matchups we usually have. And if we can have the game in the Orange Bowl even better.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1574915' date='Nov 2 2008, 17.18']He has not been UGA the last 2 years, but has one big games. you have to understand that 1 person, Lowder, runs that football program. I am not saying he should be on the hot seat, just saying that I think he may be.[/quote]

Right, I wasnt pointing the finger at you. You just reminded me that I've heard Tuberville mentioned as a hot-seat candidate, which he does seem to be. I feel that he's given them enough good seasons to have earned the right to have one bad one.

[quote name='S John' post='1574938' date='Nov 2 2008, 18.11']Right, I wasnt pointing the finger at you. You just reminded me that I've heard Tuberville mentioned as a hot-seat candidate, which he does seem to be. I feel that he's given them enough good seasons to have earned the right to have one bad one.[/quote]

Such is Auburn football. We have a huge little brother syndrome, and Saban and co. in Tuscaloosa being #1 in the nation is making this a lot worse than it is.

Tubs made a mistake, and is paying for it right now. It doesn't help that half of our two-deep is injured. Perfect storm of shit for us this year. CTT should not be on the hot seat, but he is, and it is looking more and more likely that he will be out at the end of the year. The hot name in Auburn right now is Will Muschamp. I love Will, and think that he will be a fantastic head coach somewhere, someday, but I'm not ready to trade in Tuberville for him. We'll see how this all goes down, though.

In the event of a 3-way Big 12 South tie:

[quote]Divisional Tiebreakers: The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
The records of the three teams will be compared within their division
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of fi nish (4, 5 and 6)
The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
The highest ranked team in the fi rst Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative
The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative
The representative will be chosen by draw.[/quote]

Wow, what a game. Texas just looked completely flat the first half. I think the gauntlet that they had to run through the last 4 weeks finally caught up with them. Tech still has to play OU and OSU, and OU still has to play OSU. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

In other news, Mizzou made things way too interesting in Baylor. A win is a win as they say, the North is still theirs for the taking. Their defense scares the hell out of me even more now than previously.

[quote]The highest ranked team in the fi rst Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative[/quote]

correct me if I'm wrong but the BCS incorporates the AP poll rankings right?

which means oklahoma or texas win the south if there is a tie, because there is absolutely nothing pundits hate more than a team that is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE (according to their early predictions), actually being there. They will inevitably swing towards the team they initially picked at the start of the season rather than making a non biased judgement, and since they overwhelmingly supported Oklahoma at the season's start, Oklahoma will be the one most likely to have the higher ranking in their poll. They're just waiting with knives for Tech to slip, they hate that they are wrong so far, twice (three times if you count Mizzou dropping to OkSt) in a really big way in the south.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810"]Fulmer's out at the end of the year.[/url]

Which means Kentucky's game against Tennessee will be his last... Crap. Just what we need. Sentimental BS firing up UT the one year where we have a realistic shot at them.

The AP poll doesn't count in the BCS polls anymore. It's just the Harris and the USA Today poll.

[quote]Team percentages are derived by dividing a team's actual voting points by a maximum 2850 possible points in the Harris Interactive Poll and 1575 possible points in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

Six computer rankings calculated in inverse points order (25 for #1, 24 for #2, etc.) are used to determine the overall computer component. The best and worst ranking for each team is dropped, and the remaining four are added and divided by 100 (the maximum possible points) to produce a Computer Rankings Percentage. The six computer ranking providers are Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, Jeff Sagarin, and Peter Wolfe. Each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula.

The BCS Average is calculated by averaging the percent totals of the Harris Interactive, USA Today Coaches and Computer polls.[/quote]

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1575471' date='Nov 3 2008, 11.39'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810"]Fulmer's out at the end of the year.[/url]

Which means Kentucky's game against Tennessee will be his last... Crap. Just what we need. Sentimental BS firing up UT the one year where we have a realistic shot at them.[/quote]

Damn, I wonder who's going to replace him.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1575527' date='Nov 3 2008, 12.06']Damn, I wonder who's going to replace him.[/quote]

Dunno. But if Tubberville is out at Auburn at the end of the year as well, that would make two openings at big SEC jobs. The speculation will be a-flyin'.

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1575549' date='Nov 3 2008, 12.16']Dunno. But if Tubberville is out at Auburn at the end of the year as well, that would make two openings at big SEC jobs. The speculation will be a-flyin'.[/quote]

Rich Rod might be available.

[quote name='S John' post='1575578' date='Nov 3 2008, 12.30']Rich Rod might be available.[/quote]

Very true. I suppose Kiffin and Schiano will be hot names.

So big colleges we know to be in the hunt for a new head man after this season so far:

Tennessee
Clemson (they did just go interim didn't they?)
Washington

[quote name='Triskele' post='1575866' date='Nov 3 2008, 16.16']I think it would be very premature to fire the coach at Auburn. They've won too many big games and they've owned 'Bama. Fulmer's demise has been a decade in the works.[/quote]

Now now now Mr. Triskele...

Lets not forget that Tennessee played in the SEC championship just last season coming out of the much tougher division. Auburn hasn't played for the SEC title in several years.

I thought that Schiano was the crowned prince in waiting once JoPa retires. An interesting name/rumor from the west coast has been that Tedford might want to get out of Cal and go elsewhere. I do not think that Auburn should fire Tubberville; however, coaches in the SEC have been fired for less.

Another coaching name that could pop up is Mike Martz, it looks like he will be out of Frisco at the end of the year. His total disregard for defense and wide open style could work in college.

That was probably the most painful loss I've ever endured as a Texas fan, including the blowouts at the hands of Oklahoma. I've replayed the dropped interception on Tech's final drive over and over again since Saturday night.

Thank goodness for supplemental jurisdiction and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to keep me sane.

[quote name='S John' post='1574591' date='Nov 2 2008, 01.42']Now, directly at you Luk (and HS if he's lurking about) I'm going to be pulling for ya'll to win the ACC. I'm feeling a classic Orange bowl match-up between the ACC and the Big East. Things could go south but it looks like WVU has the best shot at winning the BE and getting a bid. I'd love a shot at getting the black diamond back.

God, you don't know how much I want a VT / WVU matchup. We're a bit shaky this year, but the chance of us beating you is so worth it.[/quote]

Well, if we make it to a BCS game, the best shot we'd have is against whoever the Big East champ is, but I have mixed emotions about WVU. Sure, I'd love to beat them, but on the other hand...those stands would be a powder keg.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1575942' date='Nov 3 2008, 17.12']I thought that Schiano was the crowned prince in waiting once JoPa retires. An interesting name/rumor from the west coast has been that Tedford might want to get out of Cal and go elsewhere. I do not think that Auburn should fire Tubberville; however, coaches in the SEC have been fired for less.

Another coaching name that could pop up is Mike Martz, it looks like he will be out of Frisco at the end of the year. His total disregard for defense and wide open style could work in college.[/quote]

Agreed. And I also think it would be in the Niners best interest to cut ties with Martz.

The name I keep hearing pop up is Lane Kiffin. I don't know if he'd want to come east or not, but there's a fanbase just south of me who would welcome him with open arms.

Here's the right thread...

Don't know if you guys saw but the blue guys totally kicked the red guys asses last night.

In a game that got special permission from the NCAA for both teams to wear their home colors the red Miami (OH) came to blue Buffalo and got crushed 37-17 in what would be a harbringer of larger events in the night. The Bulls are now 5-4 (3-2) with sole possession of the MAC East lead right now, Starks ran for 177 yards and Willy threw 2 TDs making him the alltime school leader in TDs with 44 (and remember he started all 4 years and 30 of those are in the last 2 years once Turner Gill showed up, so imagine how he could've been if properly developed from the beginning).

Next up we play 2nd place Akorn should we win we will be bowl eligible for the first time ever, I also believe that should we win we will clinch the MAC East title (might need to win 1 of our final 2 games as well, not sure) meaning we play in the MAC title game and therefore receive an automatic bowl berth should we stay at or above .500 after that (so really winning 2 of our last 3 would be best because Ball State will represent the MAC West) and then its either G-MAC bowl, International Bowl, or Motor City Bowl!

Also I believe the MAC gets second dibs on a couple other bowls should the regular BCS conference not have enough Bowl eligible teams to fill the smaller spots, so if we win out we could end up anywhere really.

[url="http://www.kansas.com/sports/updates/story/586707.html"]Rod Prince[/url] is out at the end of the year at Kansas State. There are gonna be a lot of job openings this year, the coaching carousel will be going big time. Jobs at Tennessee, Washington, Syracuse, and Clemson and these are just the big jobs that I could think of off the top of my head. I know there will be more coaches getting fired/retired and then there will be openings when the new coaches leave their jobs to get their new one.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-bust-Ryan-Leaf-placed-on-leave-from-college-?urn=nfl,119970"]Ryan Leaf placed on leave from his QB coaching postion[/url]!!!

[quote]I'd imagine it has to be a little strange to play for Ryan Leaf. Anytime the coach critiques a player, the kid must be thinking, "Dude, you're Ryan Leaf. What can you tell me about quarterbacking? I was at that game when you went 11-26 with two picks and threw a pass that hit your center in the thigh. And you're telling me to 'keep my wits under pressure.' Just like you did when you flipped out on that reporter, right?"[/quote]

:rofl:

Buy stock. West Texas A&M's program is probably on the rise.

ETA: In the comments:

[quote]Now that he is back in the news maybe Al Davis will try to sign him....[/quote]

Archived