Aussies XXXXV

Stubby

In a pre-emptive strike because the other thread got to 400, I figured I'd start a new one.

As is the tradition, the opening verse of an Aussie classic:

Listen now to the wind babe
Listen now to the rain
Feel that water lickin' at my feet again
I don't wanna see this town no more
Wastin' my days on a factory floor
First thing you know I'll be back in Bow River again

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1574941' date='Nov 3 2008, 09.46']Damn!!
missed being first to post in the new thread...

but hey it already feels comfrtable[/quote]
Yeah like an old tracksuit :)

I saw the old thread was closed and was going to start a new one till I saw this one, thankfully my knowledge of poetry is terrible so it takes me a while to find something

Speaking of shortages of health professions in Australia... came across this story in an U.S. paper this morning -

[url="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j5UVT0MBBW0MmlPHoieERZ-c_aGAD9466SL82"]German doctor denied immigration to Australia because his son has Down's Syndrome[/url]: [quote]SYDNEY, Australia (AP) — Thirteen-year-old Lukas Moeller has Down syndrome. His father is a doctor who came to Australia from Germany to help fill a shortage of physicians in rural communities.

But now Australia has rejected Dr. Bernhard Moeller's application for residency, saying Lukas does not meet the "health requirement" and would pose a burden on taxpayers for his medical care, education and other services.[/quote]

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1574966' date='Nov 3 2008, 10.09']Speaking of shortages of health professions in Australia... came across this story in an U.S. paper this morning -

[url="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j5UVT0MBBW0MmlPHoieERZ-c_aGAD9466SL82"]German doctor denied immigration to Australia because his son has Down's Syndrome[/url]:[/quote]
TP that is just so typical though, seriously the immigration department has become full of right wing nutcases with not an ounce of sympathy for their own citisens let alone anyone else!

[url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24592827-948,00.html"]Cairns Strikes Again![/url]

[quote name='from the story']A HUNGRY python has made a meal of a hapless sulphur-crested cockatoo in a Cairns back yard.[/quote]

Another amazing picture of a backyard beastie in lovely Cairns....

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1574980' date='Nov 3 2008, 10.36'][url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24592827-948,00.html"]Cairns Strikes Again![/url]

Another amazing picture of a backyard beastie in lovely Cairns....[/quote]
yeah but that python is a baby, on cape tribulation they have a pic of an amythestine python that has 5 men holding it the thing had to be over 20 ft long!
That looked like a carpet python but cannot be sure from the pic.

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1574966' date='Nov 3 2008, 10.39']Speaking of shortages of health professions in Australia... came across this story in an U.S. paper this morning -

[url="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j5UVT0MBBW0MmlPHoieERZ-c_aGAD9466SL82"]German doctor denied immigration to Australia because his son has Down's Syndrome[/url]:[/quote]
Yeah the health care service here is pretty fucked. The number of people who have basically dropped dead in hospitals from waiting far too long because the facilities are overburdened is atrocious for a first-world country. This really doesn't help. Yeah his kid has Down's syndrome which fails the requirements, but fuck hasn't the government thought of making exceptions due to obvious reasons?

[quote name='Brady' post='1576166' date='Nov 4 2008, 09.39']Anyone doing anything for the Cup? My boss gave me the arvo off because he's going to the track, so :cheers: to irresponsible gambling addicts![/quote]

My boss is in the middle of a trial so I had no chance of the arvo off. We will have a bit of a lunch here and nothing more sensational than that. The three things I got in the sweep will probably still be running tomorrow.

[quote name='Brady' post='1576166' date='Nov 4 2008, 11.39']Anyone doing anything for the Cup? My boss gave me the arvo off because he's going to the track, so :cheers: to irresponsible gambling addicts![/quote]
They've made it a public holiday here, HAH!

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1577503' date='Nov 5 2008, 09.49']Put a couple Ks down on a horse and start getting excited...[/quote]

betting (n.) putting money on a horse to prevent it winning.

...alright, I stole that from Frank Richardson.

So Obama wins in the US, which was pretty much the sensible thing. I do feel a little bad for John McCain though; good guy who was basically running with a party that never liked him and fighting an election he could never win thanks to Bush's terms and the economic meltdown.

I'm not sure what this means for Australia, actually. One good thing, of course, is that the US should regain some standing in the world, and as we're closely associated with them, that's good. But looking more at the fine detail, it appears that Obama has more protectionist economic policies, which are going to stomp all over our exports and our own economy. He's inherited a bit of a mess, not unlike the situation in Australia at the last election; coming to power just as things are getting bad.

The Democrats have won control of the House of Reps and the Senate as well. Together with an Obama presidency, it grants the Democrats the decision-making power that they need to get things back on track. Mind you, Obama's created some very high expectations, and after a honeymoon period of six months or so, I think people will realise he's just another politician. But a pretty good one, mind you.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1578278' date='Nov 5 2008, 17.52']So Obama wins in the US, which was pretty much the sensible thing. I do feel a little bad for John McCain though; good guy who was basically running with a party that never liked him and fighting an election he could never win thanks to Bush's terms and the economic meltdown.

I'm not sure what this means for Australia, actually. One good thing, of course, is that the US should regain some standing in the world, and as we're closely associated with them, that's good. But looking more at the fine detail, it appears that Obama has more protectionist economic policies, which are going to stomp all over our exports and our own economy. He's inherited a bit of a mess, not unlike the situation in Australia at the last election; coming to power just as things are getting bad.

The Democrats have won control of the House of Reps and the Senate as well. Together with an Obama presidency, it grants the Democrats the decision-making power that they need to get things back on track. Mind you, Obama's created some very high expectations, and after a honeymoon period of six months or so, I think people will realise he's just another politician. But a pretty good one, mind you.[/quote]
Well a good thing is that Rudd and Labor appear to be more aimed at bracing Australia for the global financial crisis, and they seem to be aiming to achieve this on a more independant level so that we are not so badly affected by other countries such as the US. This is unlike Howard who would have got down on all fours and barked like a chiwawa if Georgie boy told him to.

Archived