Aussies XXXXV

Stubby

[quote]I am still uncertain how the jack russell fits into it[/quote]

maybe that it didn't fit was the problem ;)

[quote]Ohh in re to the mind reading Adele I am sorry but if your going to live here then I suggest you learn the skill. I think they have clases on it somewhere[/quote]

especially in "guess what he's thinking"

I have to admit, I'm quite oblivious to these types of things. The other day I was filling in for our receptionist while she was out at lunch. A lady came in to hand in her time sheet, followed by one of our male employees doing the same. The woman told me was a pretty shirt I have on and how lovely it looked on me, then commented on my necklace and so on. After she left, the guy behind her was like, "She was so hitting on you!" I told him I didn't have a clue and he mentioned how she definetly wasn't looking at my face when she spoke to me and everything she commented on was close to my chest...

I guess my inattention to things like that stems from trying to ignore the rest of the world.

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1595714' date='Nov 21 2008, 09.50']maybe that it didn't fit was the problem ;)

especially in "guess what he's thinking"[/quote]
:rofl:
Well if it wasn't a giant sized pasta jar then odds are that it may have fit anyway :P

I got my tax back a week early and just paid a few bills the others will have to wait until monday when the offices are open.
But it sure is nice to have some money again!

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1597171' date='Nov 22 2008, 14.38']Well, it's been a hell of a week over here with all the storms. Another one predicted for tonight. Hopefully it won't hit until after I've gone home this time!
(See weather thread for further detail if you care)[/quote]
Adele it is Brisbane home of the old folks so I doubt too many really do care :P
Honestly we do tend to be a pretty apethetic bunch. I mean howard was in for what 3 or 4 terms?
thats nuts considering how bad he was for the country.
At least you get rugby there, here I am lucky to see one match a week from the world cup!
Mind you since it is rugby league I am not too worried.

Wow, NZ beat Australia in the league world cup final. A massive upset. Australia have never lost a WC final before. Well done to the Kiwis, especially as the commentators were saying before the game that this Australian team is one of the strongest lineups in recent memory.

Hopefully this will do some good for the game after a very poor couple of years, and a shocking joke of a WC tournament.

Haven't really poked my head in here the last couple of weeks...been concentrating on this automotive bailout thread. ;) It seems that there's a chronic lack of rational right-wingers to have meaningful discussions with the left majority, so I'm gamely trying to fill the gap despite the fact I'm not really an extremist disciple of the right at all. ;)

Anyway, great league game. I haven't been watching the World Cup at all (and I prefer union anyway). It's basically like Australia vs NZ is a one-off match. Anyway, tuned in, and it was a great game, and a part of me is actually not too sad that we lost. It was built up to be so much of a foregone conclusion that I'm happy for rugby that a surprise was thrown up. Kiwis earned the win.

On the other hand, we got the cricket, so it's kind of even. ;)

[quote name='Jeor' post='1597850' date='Nov 23 2008, 12.25']Haven't really poked my head in here the last couple of weeks...been concentrating on this automotive bailout thread. ;) It seems that there's a chronic lack of rational right-wingers to have meaningful discussions with the left majority, so I'm gamely trying to fill the gap despite the fact I'm not really an extremist disciple of the right at all. ;)

Anyway, great league game. I haven't been watching the World Cup at all (and I prefer union anyway). It's basically like Australia vs NZ is a one-off match. Anyway, tuned in, and it was a great game, and a part of me is actually not too sad that we lost. It was built up to be so much of a foregone conclusion that I'm happy for rugby that a surprise was thrown up. Kiwis earned the win.

On the other hand, we got the cricket, so it's kind of even. ;)[/quote]
Are you going to watch the union replay today Jeor?
I set my alarm to watch the live telecast but then slept straight through it.
I am pretty much staying out of the auto thread, I think everything that needed saying was said by page three and there was no need for further debate.
Noone should get anything for free, if the Gov bails them out then there has to be conditions attached.

[quote]rofl2.gif
Well if it wasn't a giant sized pasta jar then odds are that it may have fit anyway tongue.gif[/quote]

err I was thinking the Jack Russell.... :P

missed the entire league world cup

only heard that fiji played there sometime

[quote name='Brady' post='1597714' date='Nov 23 2008, 11.52']Wow, NZ beat Australia in the league world cup final. A massive upset. Australia have never lost a WC final before. Well done to the Kiwis, especially as the commentators were saying before the game that this Australian team is one of the strongest lineups in recent memory.

Hopefully this will do some good for the game after a very poor couple of years, and a shocking joke of a WC tournament.[/quote]

Just wanted to pop my head in and gloat over this for a wee bit. Though not too much given the other result this weekend.

I didn't manage to see the whole game, so I can't say who truly deserved it. But is it fair to say that only in Aussie would the man of the match award go to a player in the losing home side? I think this is the first time I've ever witnessed the losing side get the man of the match award.

I thought it was a bit of a back-handed insult to the Kiwis for Lockyer to be given that particular accolade.

Now for the ABs to complete their 2nd Gand Slam in a row and it will be a pretty good sporting year for us. Making up considerably for the disappointments of 2007.

The Breakers are kicking arse in the B'Ball too.

I won't mention the Soccer, since soccer's a pussy game anyway.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1598016' date='Nov 23 2008, 21.15']Just wanted to pop my head in and gloat over this for a wee bit. Though not too much given the other result this weekend.

I didn't manage to see the whole game, so I can't say who truly deserved it. But is it fair to say that only in Aussie would the man of the match award go to a player in the losing home side? I think this is the first time I've ever witnessed the losing side get the man of the match award.

I thought it was a bit of a back-handed insult to the Kiwis for Lockyer to be given that particular accolade.

Now for the ABs to complete their 2nd Gand Slam in a row and it will be a pretty good sporting year for us. Making up considerably for the disappointments of 2007.

The Breakers are kicking arse in the B'Ball too.

I won't mention the Soccer, since soccer's a pussy game anyway.[/quote]
If I remember correctly it was man of the series, I didn't see who got the man of the match. I personally am glad that we lost the totally unimportant league world cup :P
Seriously the team was overconfidant and didn't deserve the win maybe now they will get their act together.

It's the union world cup I want us to win, and somehow we managed to beat France and that was a surprise, the wallabies is a team that is still getting used to each other and though improving they were definately outplayed by France. The thing is that even though France generally played better their kicking was terrible and thats what let us win.

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1598091' date='Nov 24 2008, 05.06']If I remember correctly it was man of the series, I didn't see who got the man of the match. I personally am glad that we lost the totally unimportant league world cup :P
Seriously the team was overconfidant and didn't deserve the win maybe now they will get their act together.

It's the union world cup I want us to win, and somehow we managed to beat France and that was a surprise, the wallabies is a team that is still getting used to each other and though improving they were definately outplayed by France. The thing is that even though France generally played better their kicking was terrible and thats what let us win.[/quote]

Billy Slater got Man-o-Series. Kinda ironic given his brain explosion lead to the Kiwis getting a lead the 'Roos never overcame. Lockyer was definitely Man-o-Match.

I hope you aren't thinking about the 2011 RWC. We've bought and paid for that win thank you very much. And I won't have no Robbie Deans coached team coming in and stealing it off us either.

I really hope the 2015 RWC is in Japan or Argentina. This code needs a World Cup to be held in one of the 2nd tier countries if we want to realise our ambition of global sporting domination.

What's a South Australia boy doing being all knowledgable about Union anyway? I thought you folks were Aussie Rulez all the way.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1597850' date='Nov 23 2008, 13.55']Haven't really poked my head in here the last couple of weeks...been concentrating on this automotive bailout thread. ;) It seems that there's a chronic lack of rational right-wingers to have meaningful discussions with the left majority, so I'm gamely trying to fill the gap despite the fact I'm not really an extremist disciple of the right at all. ;)

On the other hand, we got the cricket, so it's kind of even. ;)[/quote]

I'm not unhappy NZ won either, it's (hopefully) good for the game, and Australia's dominance of league is really quite ridiculous and makes internationals a bit of a joke. This should add a bit of spice to the next Anzac test.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1598016' date='Nov 23 2008, 22.45']Just wanted to pop my head in and gloat over this for a wee bit. Though not too much given the other result this weekend.

I thought it was a bit of a back-handed insult to the Kiwis for Lockyer to be given that particular accolade.[/quote]

I agree, I watched the game with my old man and we both thought it was stupid that Lockyer got man of the match. It does occassionally happen in league games, but only if they're really close, and only once in a blue moon. Wasn't warranted in this case, and Lockyer looked a little embarrassed to receive it. Slater as man of the series was fair I thought, though ironic considering his crucial blunder in the final.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1598219' date='Nov 24 2008, 05.07']Billy Slater got Man-o-Series. Kinda ironic given his brain explosion lead to the Kiwis getting a lead the 'Roos never overcame. Lockyer was definitely Man-o-Match.

I hope you aren't thinking about the 2011 RWC. We've bought and paid for that win thank you very much. And I won't have no Robbie Deans coached team coming in and stealing it off us either.

I really hope the 2015 RWC is in Japan or Argentina. This code needs a World Cup to be held in one of the 2nd tier countries if we want to realise our ambition of global sporting domination.

What's a South Australia boy doing being all knowledgable about Union anyway? I thought you folks were Aussie Rulez all the way.[/quote]
I don't think I would claim to be knowlegable about it but I vastly prefer it to Aussie rules and used to play it at school. I guess I am really a fan of team sports that really are about the team rather than about a couple of showboats who get all the recognition etc.
And Bought and paid for?
Not until you have the trophy in your hand will you be able to claim that!
:P

I would like to say though that it is very nice to have a Kiwi in here again :)
Please feel welcome to come back anytime you want.

Hey,
New here and thought I'd duck in and say G'day.
I'm from well... born in Vic, lived a large part of my childhood and teens in NSW.
and the rest of my teens and adult years in QLD. but have travel most of Australia.
Except for WA :( I'm sorry. but some of the best, most creative and fun people I have met come from WA. So I'm determined to get there.

Anyway you are pre warned I'll be back!
I think.

aussie aussie aussie
oi oi oi

:)

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1598323' date='Nov 24 2008, 11.50']I would like to say though that it is very nice to have a Kiwi in here again :)
Please feel welcome to come back anytime you want.[/quote]

It's good to be in a place where I know I can take the piss out of people, and they can take the piss out of me, and we all know it's in good spirits. There is nothing better than razzin' the cuzzies.

Like any self respecting Kiwi I have a few family members dotted around the dry country: Brizzie, Melbourne and Perth to be precise. (Though I hear Melbourne hasn't been all that dry lately.) Only trouble is none of them are on the Dole, they all seem to have jobs, which is kinda destroying the stereotype a wee bit. One of my cousins is even training to be one of your secret police, or whatever you call the secret squirrel federal law enforcement folks over there.

[quote name='Saurian' post='1598580' date='Nov 24 2008, 17.24']Hey,
New here and thought I'd duck in and say G'day.[/quote]

Hey Saurian.

Welcome to the house of fun!

Always good to have more Aussies in here to balance out the seppos. ;)

[quote]Only trouble is none of them are on the Dole, they all seem to have jobs, which is kinda destroying the stereotype a wee bit.[/quote]

Yeah well we can't all be on the dole at the same time. We discovered that kinda stops the wheel from turning. And with the way money is tight.. it's earn it or lose it. But There is always plan B
Chuck a Sickie. Usually on a Friday or a Monday so you have a long weekend at the beach.

Not that I would ever.. I mean.. Well I was actually sick and my doctor happened to be only a 20 minute drive from the.. I'll stop right there I think.

Still the video phone will be the death of the sickie.
Well it's much harder to look sick, when your not. Than it is to sound sick, when your not.
ya boss can say. I wanna see you throw up before I say you can stay home.
it'd be cool if you had a friend that worked in a hospital. chuck a gown over ya clothes hop into a empty bed get them to tape and IV line to ya arm. make the call. and ya at the beach before lunch.
Oops I said that out loud huh?

[quote]Hey Saurian.

Welcome to the house of fun!

Always good to have more Aussies in here to balance out the seppos.[/quote]

Thank you. I'm kind of easing my way in before broaching the topics for which I came to this board. A work of brilliance aSoIaF.
I can't promise any kind of balance, though I shall try.
I have ideas and opinions that I like to share. Who doesn't. Just can't be arsed stressing about it enough to have a year long fight over em.
You guys are probably the same.

On the topic of sports. I know they are important. but I won't make a fool of myself. I grew up in a house that would never have it on and the most sports we played was park or beach cricket. Which is great fun, but it's all over when someone get smacked in the face with the cricket ball.
generally a tennis ball is used. But you always get the guy who feels it's not authentic unless you play with a real cricket ball and bat. ( you have 16 kids and 12 adults playing but whatever makes it real for you )
So It never really took for me. might watch indie and what not when it's on. that's about it.

Death penalty. Um. Nope it's an all round bad idea. However my conviction on that is always tested when some poor baby/child is used in an adults world for pleasure or profit or worse both.
then as a parent that instinct takes over. And your not even thinking of the justice system but how you would hunt them down yourself.
Not a nice image I know. But that's where I come into conflict on the topic.

Politics. Well I find the more I pay attention to it the more nervous I feel.
On the one hand we adapt and change and continue to live and go about the business of living.
You can let decisions go, because we know, that they have the information we as the public would never have access to. Even with "leaks" to the media and general media interference. Let's not forget that the media aren't there to inform us of the truth unless it is profitable for them to do so.
But on the other hand we seem to have lost the skill to get laws and policies changed when it become necessary to do so.
The old methods don't seem to work. Millions marched and that PM was unmoved.
I'll never forget the GST introduction. Every person who believed the words being fed to them. Would go around saying. "But this will make living cheaper" and then came the aftermath. When we discovered we are now paying over 200% more tax than we did before the GST.
When it was discovered that something like ( dare I say it ) tampons attracted a luxury tax and the PM had a mass of angry women piffing tampons at him.
And yet it changed nothing.
Let's face it. Politics is a passionate topic. in truth I know only a little, but not enough to hold good ground in a passioned argument.

media.. *sigh* Now that's a topic that gets my blood boiling. though I will give you. That they serve a purpose. but that is as far as I will admit their usefulness

[quote]Where are you staying in Sydney? I'm not really very mobile at the moment so unlikely to actually be able to make any meet but hope you have a great time and manage to catch up with someone![/quote]

I'll be arriving on Dec 7th, and be there until the following Sunday. Was planning a trip out to Bondi probably on Friday or Saturday, depending on when I get out of work. I am staying in St James (sheraton on the park).

And yes I know Aussies hate fosters. ; )

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1598628' date='Nov 24 2008, 21.07']It's good to be in a place where I know I can take the piss out of people, and they can take the piss out of me, and we all know it's in good spirits. There is nothing better than razzin' the cuzzies.

Like any self respecting Kiwi I have a few family members dotted around the dry country: Brizzie, Melbourne and Perth to be precise. (Though I hear Melbourne hasn't been all that dry lately.) Only trouble is none of them are on the Dole, they all seem to have jobs, which is kinda destroying the stereotype a wee bit. One of my cousins is even training to be one of your secret police, or whatever you call the secret squirrel federal law enforcement folks over there.[/quote]
Yeah the taking the piss bit seems to be unique to our corner of the world, the Seppos just do not understand it and the few who try end up blundering with unforgivable insults.
I am not sure exactly which agency you may be talking about since it could be ASIO or FED police or one of the others whose names escape me at the moment.

Saurian nice introduction there, I will nit pick a little though.
I mean we had the last gov saying that inflation was not a problem and yet they were fudging the figures to make it look like the inflation was at 3% when anyone shopping at the time knew that it was at least 10%
sure plasma TV's were cheaper but the cost of food and rent and all the neccesities of life were way up. Thanks in part to that bloody GST!
I tried before that election to make it clear to people that it meant everything you spent was then taxed at a minimum of 10% even the so called tax free threshold.
I even pointed out that Howard started off saying that all the indirect taxation would be scrapped then he went down to 28 of them would be scrapped then 18 then 17 and in the end it was only one of them that got scrapped!
Trust a politician and you get shafted, its that simple!

Archived