Aussies XXXXV

Stubby

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1653706' date='Jan 19 2009, 19.05']just passing thru
one of my moggies got splatted by a speeding driver
lucky i wasn't home
my wrath was terrible[/quote]

I'm sorry :(

Our cat got hit by some bastard who didn't bother to stop earlier in the year. Just left her dying out the front of our house while I was home alone with two incredibly upset pre-schoolers and no car :devil:

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1653706' date='Jan 19 2009, 17.05']just passing thru
lucky i wasn't home

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm sharing your wrath and feeling for you, if its any consolation.

I decided to go back to school this year (specifically, TAFE), only to find that not only will most TAFEs not accept me for their tertiary entrance course, even if they did it wouldn't mean anything until I was twenty to twenty-three.

So since Year 12 this year has already started (who came up with *that* idea, anyway?) and it's very unlikely that they'll take me in late (I'll check, but I'm not hopeful), I'm basically stuck doing nothing education-wise for the next ten months.

Bah.

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1653706' date='Jan 19 2009, 18.35']just passing thru
lucky i wasn't home
I am very sorry to hear that Sh_wulff its a constant hassle though isn't it you get a pet and it becomes part of the family and then it dies in some manner. Still I would far prefer the years of joy the animal brings and recieves than nothing.

So I guess I am saying remember the good times rather than the sad end.

Sio is there an adult education college anywhere near you?
They will often take late enrollments and will also expect the class numbers to fall off in most classes.

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1653953' date='Jan 20 2009, 01.42']Sio is there an adult education college anywhere near you?
They will often take late enrollments and will also expect the class numbers to fall off in most classes.[/quote]

Yes there are - however the only ones within three hours drive only offer the TPC, which the unis won't accept if you're under about 23 (I don't want to wait that long!) (and the majority of them won't let me do it anyway because I'm under eighteen).

[quote name='sio' post='1653963' date='Jan 20 2009, 02.49']Yes there are - however the only ones within three hours drive only offer the TPC, which the unis won't accept if you're under about 23 (I don't want to wait that long!) (and the majority of them won't let me do it anyway because I'm under eighteen).[/quote]
ok the TPC is tertiery preperation certificate?

The Uni's here in SA accept them I do know that. Which state are you in?

you may find that a simple State Tertiery admitance test will get you in to uni, its pretty much an IQ test the thing is though that you need to do them in around august to september if I remember correctly
thats how I got into my uni course but I have always done well on IQ tests.

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1653973' date='Jan 20 2009, 01.58']ok the TPC is tertiery preperation certificate?

you may find that a simple State Tertiery admitance test will get you in to uni, its pretty much an IQ test the thing is though that you need to do them in around august to september if I remember correctly
thats how I got into my uni course but I have always done well on IQ tests.[/quote]

Well, all of the people I've talked to about it say that it only means anything for mature-age-entry (over 21), and I don't want to wait another five years.

I'm in NSW.

thanks fpr the empathy.. I'm articularly sad because this one was just a little over 1 year old... so waay too young to die

Sio.. god luck. sorrythat i cannot help

[b]OLP[/b] belated happy birthday
[b]adele[/b] hope you found a house

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1653973' date='Jan 19 2009, 11.28']ok the TPC is tertiery preperation certificate?

you may find that a simple State Tertiary admittance test will get you in to uni, its pretty much an IQ test the thing is though that you need to do them in around august to september if I remember correctly
thats how I got into my uni course but I have always done well on IQ tests.[/quote]
Thanks for this. I'm going to do this later in the year, hopefully it'll see me going to uni next year. I buggered around for too long with TAFE, which is far too time consuming and expensive for someone who has to work for a living, to pay weekly rent and buy groceries on top of all other manner of duties.

Thanks.

[quote name='sio' post='1654623' date='Jan 20 2009, 11.02']Well, all of the people I've talked to about it say that it only means anything for mature-age-entry (over 21), and I don't want to wait another five years.

I'm in NSW.[/quote]
Well I am considerably older than that but I do believe its worth looking at. What joe blow tells you and what the people doing it tell you may be totally different.

Ouroboros which state are you in?

Also do you have any idea just what you want to study?

There are books out there that would help you prepare for any IQ test but you need one that covers langauge and other stuff not basic geometric puzzles.

Queensland, I checked, we have it. I really want to study history and literature, I'm not particularly good (though I'm no dunce either) at mathematics and science. Any books you could recommend would be helpful. I really have to buckle down for this, its been a while since I last did any schoolin', so I badly need to brush up on all the basics and extra stuff. It should come back quickly enough once I get started, but it's better to be cautious about it.

Apparently a belated happy birthday is in order, OLP! :cheers:

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1656456' date='Jan 21 2009, 16.41']Well I am considerably older than that but I do believe its worth looking at. What joe blow tells you and what the people doing it tell you may be totally different.[/quote]

Believe me, I've looked at it. I never asked Joe Blow about it; I asked the TAFE admissions people and the admissions office at Sydney Uni.

[url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24942930-2761,00.html"]UWA students fucking about again[/url]

Take that UWA!

Yeah I went to uni in Perth and I never did like anyone who pranced around thinking they're better than everyone else when in fact they're losing ground to other unis. Sorry if that was you Stubbs.

I'll get around to reading everyones ups and downs later. Must fly.

[quote name='OldLordPlumm' post='1657212' date='Jan 22 2009, 05.44'][url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24942930-2761,00.html"]UWA students fucking about again[/url]

Take that UWA!

Yeah I went to uni in Perth and I never did like anyone who pranced around thinking they're better than everyone else when in fact they're losing ground to other unis. Sorry if that was you Stubbs.

I'll get around to reading everyones ups and downs later. Must fly.[/quote]

I like the copper's comment:

[quote]It's disappointing that these type of events are run - it's essentially a binge-drinking exercise,'' Sen-Constable Starkie said.

[b]We don't care if it's UWA or the CWA, we will prosecute[/b].[/quote]

And I'm a Murdoch hippie.

[quote name='OldLordPlumm' post='1657212' date='Jan 22 2009, 07.14'][url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24942930-2761,00.html"]UWA students fucking about again[/url][/quote]

Heh. Charming.

[quote name='OldLordPlumm' post='1657212' date='Jan 22 2009, 05.44'][url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24942930-2761,00.html"]UWA students fucking about again[/url]

Take that UWA!

Yeah I went to uni in Perth and I never did like anyone who pranced around thinking they're better than everyone else when in fact they're losing ground to other unis. Sorry if that was you Stubbs.[/quote]

Well, as a current UWA law/commerce student and a former member of the Blackstone Society I should probably be trying to defend my uni classmates here...but the simple fact is that I can't. Stupid events like R U Barking are exactly why I didn't renew my Blackstone membership after my first year. Honestly, I have no idea why people my age (and especially law students) engage in this incredibly poor behaviour. The only upside is that I'll be competing for jobs with these people, and if they are going to behave like that in and around the workplace then they shouldn't be hired. Very embarrassing incident for the UWA Law School, and I hope that they come down hard on the Blackstone Society.

As for UWA students "prancing around" - I agree OLP, a little humility is a good thing and it's something that UWA students too often lack. Just because they did a little better in their high-school tertiary entrance exams than students from other unis doesn't count for anything in the final analysis. It's the level that you're at when you complete your degree that counts.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1657880' date='Jan 22 2009, 21.34']As for UWA students "prancing around" - I agree OLP, a little humility is a good thing and it's something that UWA students too often lack. Just because they did a little better in their high-school tertiary entrance exams than students from other unis doesn't count for anything in the final analysis. It's the level that you're at when you complete your [s]degree[/s] articles that counts.[/quote]

Just fixed that for you for future reference.

;)

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1657915' date='Jan 22 2009, 22.14']Just fixed that for you for future reference.

;)[/quote]

Well, I was referring to all UWA students, not just UWA law students, so I left it at "degree". But I certainly take your point insofar as it applies to UWA law students who are seeking employment at a law firm (which hopefully won't be me if the financial sector starts sorting itself out).

[quote name='Paxter' post='1657958' date='Jan 23 2009, 01.01']Well, I was referring to all UWA students, not just UWA law students, so I left it at "degree". But I certainly take your point insofar as it applies to UWA law students who are seeking employment at a law firm (which hopefully won't be me if the financial sector starts sorting itself out).[/quote]

Well Paxter that was refreshingly humble from a UWA student even though I know that majority aren't high and mighty. So I should say I don't mean to tar all of you up with the same brush even though I did. I'm not bitter about attending ECU because I couldn't get into UWA or anything. It was the only place my degree was available. I went to a middle class private school and had to listen to my former 'friends' who went there talk it up as if they're American college kids in frats. Truth is so few people actually go to uni at all.

Archived