Must Read for GRRM Fans...... according to him anyway.

Stego

Jesus! The past couple of weeks I have been bombarded by how good The Lies of Locke Lamora is. The book is getting some kind of hype for an author's first book, which won't even be released for another six months.

I found it to be just a really entertaining read. :)

• 2 months later...

As mentioned in another thread, I just started reading this book a couple days ago, and it starts off very well. Really sucked me in, if not to the world itself, then to the immediate situations of the characters.

I've talked this book up a lot in chat and in conversation lately, so maybe I should repeat myself here.

It's a damn fine book, and a damn fine start to what will most likely be a wonderful career.

*takes a pose of enthusiastic admiration*

Just bought the book last night and Daaaaaaaaaamn, that shit is GOOD! I'm only through 2 chapters, but I am already totally engaged. I really enjoyed the explanation for the binding of an andat.

SPOILER: The Warrior-Prophet and Shadows of Summer
Reminds me a bit of Bakker/Achamian's description Anagogic Sorcery, using analogies and new descriptions of a thing to harness power. Also reminds me of the idea if you know the True Name of something, you can control it.

Anyway, great read. I look forward to spending my weekend with it.

I don't know why, but the summary sounds well... boring and silly? Plus it's too oriental-ish for my taste :)

I agree completely. The story is trying too hard to be different in the "plot department" when really, as we've seen with any good book, characters are what make a good story. If you're marketing your story the way this one is being marketed I'm going to guess there isn't much else here.

I seriously had to force myself to finish the summary. That is bad.

Why don't you google some of my references Stego to see if you can discredit my opinion too.

I remember reading the blurb about this several months ago... and not being interested in the slightest. Now that I read it again... it still fails to pique my interest. At all.

Oh well, one less book for me to buy.

While I certainly don't care what people purchase or don't purchase, and I certainly don't care how they react/respond to blurbs/synopsis :D. I do have to ask (because the comment baffles me)-

The story is trying too hard to be different in the "plot department" when really, as we've seen with any good book, characters are what make a good story.

Because you can tell the depth/or lack of the characters from the blurb? What I have really seen (as I have read the book, I'm no seer) is a great depth given to the characters. If people don't like how something sounds, that's one thing and of course their perogative , but just making up shit ind telling people to look up your 'references' (even in the spirit it was said from the above prior posts by Stego noted) is mind boggling. If you haven't read it, you have no references, no need to go through the trouble. Wouldn't you agree?

:agree:

Judging the plot and characterization of a book based on a one paragraph summary? WTF? That pretty much discredits your opinion in itself.

Cause I'm halfway through the book, and it's completely character driven.

• 4 months later...

Based on the many stellar reviews on this forum, I have picked up TLOLL and am thoroughly enjoying it. My question now is what is the general consensus on Daniel Abraham's 'A Shadow in Summer'? I've seen that it is also recommended by GRRM. For those that have read the book, is it worth the buy and what (if any) books out there would you compare it to?

Well, as George says on his website, its hard for him to be objective regarding Abraham, being he is a friend. collaborator, and student of his.

I enjoyed a Shadow in Summer. It was a good book, with some neat ideas, I didnt love it like I did Lies though.

I am planning to pick this up once a UK publisher gets sorted, although I may just buckle and order the US version from Forbidden Planet or Amazon.

PS merged the threads.

Archived