Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar the Unbeliever

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere here that there will be no flashbacks.

If this is correct, we'll never even see Rhaegar, except for Dany's vision in the House of the Undying, which lasts for what, 10 seconds?

If so, why not get a model or something that would be more than willing to cut his normal hourly rates for some screen time? Gabriel Aubry springs to mind, although he may be a bit older than Rhaegar is supposed to be.

I'm not sure if they said no flashbacks at all, only that there wouldn't be flashbacks in the pilot episode. Perhaps I am wrong though.

I agree though, that even if there are flashbacks, there is no need for Rhaegar to be a an actor even. As people have already said, a really gorgeous yet still manly-looking model would do the trick.

I for one will be reallllly disappointed if we never get to see Rhaegar at all in the series. His prescence looms largely enough in the books, and I think it would be a shame to never get a visual depiction of him. I think for the non-readers in the audience, it would be beneficial for Rhaegar to appear at least a few brief times, along with some flashes of Lyanna as well.

But that's just my pathetic romantic wishes.......sigh. :P

[quote name='Naknakkus' post='1587627' date='Nov 13 2008, 05.05']A very young Max von Sydow.[/quote]

How about Paul Bettany? He has the coloring and is a great actor. Can also come across as the "intellectual jock".

Rhaegar has to look so beautiful that Jaime seems a stable boy to his side, doesn't need much of an acting ability, and should be able to sing. I'd go for Taylor Hanson.

[url="http://journalesque.typepad.com/Pictures/taylorhanson.jpg"]http://journalesque.typepad.com/Pictures/taylorhanson.jpg[/url]
[url="http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6851/1178684234fag3.jpg"]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6851/1178684234fag3.jpg[/url]

Don't beat me yet: he is so beautiful that if you dressed him as a girl, he'd be a beautiful girl, now that will make whoever plays Jaime look like a stableboy by comparison. He can sing (I'm not entering in the quality of his music, or if you like it or not), and as all we need for Rhaegar is a few cameos and youthful impressive looks, I think he does it.

A model may also serve, of course. I just mentioned Taylor because that's the kind of beauty I think Rhaegar had, with delicate features. If not Taylor, someone who looks like him. Still, I think he'd do great for a cameo.

[quote name='Taecyn' post='1588220' date='Nov 14 2008, 11.46']I'd suggest Jared Leto.

[url="http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3587611392/nm0001467"]http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3587611392/nm0001467[/url][/quote]

Yeah, that's who I always thought of as well. I think it's the eyes.

[quote name='lacuna' post='1648996' date='Jan 15 2009, 06.50']Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere here that there will be no flashbacks.

If this is correct, we'll never even see Rhaegar, except for Dany's vision in the House of the Undying, which lasts for what, 10 seconds?

If so, why not get a model or something that would be more than willing to cut his normal hourly rates for some screen time? Gabriel Aubry springs to mind, although he may be a bit older than Rhaegar is supposed to be.[/quote]

You heard what I heard. No flashbacks. Not sure who I'd have play him for the 10 seconds he'll be on screen.

• 2 years later...

Luke Goss, Prince Nuada in Hellboy 2, ever since I saw that movie I always think of him as Elric from Moorcock's novels. And the Melnibonean's kinda remind me of the Valyrians, and Rhaegar would be about as close to an old Valyrian as the story gets.

Without makeup, and still silver hair I think Luke could pull it off. He also has mad sword skillz

Other than the dark knight he had no acting ability...

I liked him in 'a knight's tale'

Macaulay Culkin!!!! Here

And he has a younger and less good looking brother to play Viserys! Kieran Culkin

ew no! can't see this guy as anyone but the home alone kid

Maybe Jesse Spenser? I've only seen the guy in House as a background guy with an aussie accent, so I can't comment on his screen-stealing capabilities. He's not physically imposing enough for Jaime.

Charlie Hunnam looks better for Rhaegar.

jesse spencer's facial shape isn't ... dunno... it's a bit 'round', not saying he ain't attractive cuz he is but I don't see him playing rheagar >.>

What about Aaron Eckhart? I don't know if he'd fit into the budget but I think he'd be great for it.

Aaron Eckhart looks too mature, no? If they're doing flashbacks, Rhaegar should at least look under thirty. Rhaegar's actions were that of a young, reckless man.

Remember, Rhaegar is the intellectual Jock. He just got up from his books one day and decided he needed to train as a warrior because that was what he saw it was his job to do. That's one heck of a difficult vibe to pull.

Agreed. I always imagined him as Val Kilmer circa Real Genius and Top Gun (nerd and jock one year apart), but with the long hair he sported in The Saint for some of his personas.

What's the closest to that these days?

• 4 months later...

No flashbacks, but I have a feeling in Series 3, they will most likely show the "story" that Meera and Jojen tell Bran. Which has Rhaegar and Lyanna and her brothers/father amongst a lot of other dead characters! Might be dressed up to show/convey the "symbolism" though... So they might get away with not casting him except for the aforementioned House of the Undying scene.

the same guy who played viserys should play rhaegar. daenerys during her house of the undying trip she had a vision of a guy she initially mistook for viserys but the eyes were darker so she realised it was rhaegar so that suggests that those two really looked alike aside from two small details: eye colour and sanity.

Archived