Length of book concern.

freakinmayhew

One of my concerns is that each book is going to be a single season, but the books vary in length. Book 3 is significantly longer than the first two and the fourth is significantly shorter.

I'd be especially concerned with book 4 because it's also the slowest paced. Stretching it out for a full cable season seems like it could be a disaster.

I really think they should combine some bits of ASOS into the AFFC season, isn't the timeline really crazy around there anyway? Maybe they can go through and make it a bit more chronological. And I don't think it's a good idea to be missing Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran, etc for a whole season.

Some things will certainly be trimmed. And by the time we get to the 3rd or 4th season of the show, presumably Dance will have long since been published, so we'll know what Dany, Jon, and others were up to during that period and they can be incorporated into it. The first book really works quite well as a self-contained season. As does the second and third with a bit of trimming, especially book 3. (it had the most effective dramatic climax sure, but it did drift a bit) I'd expect things from Dance to be mixed in with the 4th season as Feast does not have a screen friendly dramatic storyarc, misses half the characters, and whatever climax it had...just isn't on the same level of the first few books.

Also to consider would be bringing Dani over earlier. Incredibly trimming her part to someone mentioned periodically, seen a few times, but not a huge focus until they're ready to bring her. Or cutting her out almost entirely. Fact is I don't think it makes good television to devote huge chunks of screen time to a character largely disconnected from the main story and characters for 3+ seasons.

My old [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15123&view=findpost&p=615077"]chapter break-down for AGoT[/url].
My old [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15123&view=findpost&p=621981"]chapter break-down for ACoK[/url].

It all fits in the allotted time.

I can't find my notes on ASoS, but they're likely around on an older machine. I think the story, for TV, has to be chronological... that means that ASoS, AFfC, and ADwD are all going to get mixed together somewhat. The lines between those books get pretty fuzzy.

[quote name='Lady Blackfish' post='1587372' date='Nov 13 2008, 04.33']I really think they should combine some bits of ASOS into the AFFC season, isn't the timeline really crazy around there anyway? Maybe they can go through and make it a bit more chronological. And I don't think it's a good idea to be missing Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran, etc for a whole season.[/quote]
Yes, I'm sure they will make it chronological. It was a bold move to put half the characters in one book and I think it worked just fine but I don't think it can be done well in a TV series. Especially not when they need to keep the masses happy.

Haven't a few people done approx. timelines for all the chapters so far. I seem to remember Errant Bard do one based off of a certain event for which a specific date was given. Maybe these could be given to the Producers for their reference if the show, powers-that-be willing, gets picked up.

I think its clear that they'd combine aFfC and aDwD (discussing the 4th season already! :P). The only question is whether it will be reduced to one season or left at 2. Hard to know that until we read aDwD.

GRRM once mentioned that he would have left the last Sansa chapter in aSoS for aFfC if he knew there wouldn't be a 5 year gap. That's the fun thing about a TV series. Can redo some of the things.

AFFC and ADWD will definitely be combined. You cant have the characters in one season - its just not possible on TV and would spell the end of the series. But thats a while away. Game of Thrones can be put into one season. I'd say Clash of Kings could be condensed into 9 or 10 episodes with Storm of Swords beginning at the end of that season and continuing for all of Season 3. The end of Swords has to end a season, it cant be in the middle of the next season.

• 2 years later...

First off, let me say that I’m sorry if someone has already seen this question and the answer countless times, I looked awhile for an answer but couldn’t find it.

But here are my questions/thoughts: Martin seems to take a while to write his books (which I’m not complaining about, they are great and I understand that takes time). But I’ve been wondering what will happen if the show starts to get ahead of the books. If the show proves to be a great success (which I’m hoping it will) and 4 years from now they are wrapping up the 4th season - a feast for crows, what will they do. A dance with dragons may not be finished by then, much less the 7th book. So will George feel pressure from HBO to rush the next book - which might also lessen the quality? Will Martin feel pressure from himself to write the next book in order to keep the show going? Can a show stop after a few seasons and continue later? Is it possible that the show would then go in a different direction? Could Martin choose to finish his series in form of a TV show before he does in his books?

Again these questions may not even be relevant, but if you have any insight, please share. Thanks.

First off, let me say that I'm sorry if someone has already seen this question and the answer countless times, I looked awhile for an answer but couldn't find it.

But here are my questions/thoughts:  Martin seems to take a while to write his books (which I'm not complaining about, they are great and I understand that takes time).  But I've been wondering what will happen if the show starts to get ahead of the books.  

Yup, the question has indeed been answered in another thread, by Ran, but I don't remember which thread exactly. The summary would be something like this: Mr. Martin has given some additional info to the HBO team. In case the show gets ahead of the books, they can go ahead and film the following seasons before the novels are even written, because by then they would already know how the story ends and what fate awaits each character.

The general consensus was that this sucked royally, but we shouldn't go into despair until at least the first season is finished and we get a clue on the ratings.  

I think ASoS would stand alone, without AFfC coming into the picture during season 3. I think, AFfC and ADwD will need to be blended together and come out as seasons 4 & 5 with bits from each book in each season. There are characters you can't leave hanging for A whole season. Then again they could amalgamate some PoVs and meld Storm and Dance into a single season, But that means trimming a lot of material, and watering down the story as a consequence. If we get to a 4th season and the story gets simplified through combining 2 books into a single season then I think that would be to the detriment of the TV series.

also, they could film up until the end of continuity with Feast and if the rest is big enough have another season.

I'm really wondering how SoS can fit into a single season though... Hoping the show gets that far, I feel like that's the point where I'm gonna feel like stuff is getting left out.

Yup, the question has indeed been answered in another thread, by Ran, but I don't remember which thread exactly. The summary would be something like this: Mr. Martin has given some additional info to the HBO team. In case the show gets ahead of the books, they can go ahead and film the following seasons before the novels are even written, because by then they would already know how the story ends and what fate awaits each character.

The general consensus was that this sucked royally, but we shouldn't go into despair until at least the first season is finished and we get a clue on the ratings.

Thanks for the reply, I agree with the general consensus, but like you said, i'll wait and try not to despair too much just yet. Thanks

Yeah, well they do 24 shows per season for 24, so a 16 show season for ASoS is surely not out of the question. If the series gets that far in it means it's a commercial success and worth doing longer seasons. Still I say ASoS can be done inside 12 broadcast hours. Though perhaps a 2-hour season opener and 2-hour season closer would be a good thing, bringing us to 14 broadcast hours.

HBO's seasons are normally around 12 though. Representing their focus on quality over quanity.

I'd be surprised if we got a season of more than 12 episodes, although something like an extended season closer would seem more likely (especially in aSoS where a ton of stuff happens at the end).

I could also see them been more free with the book structure if we get beyond S2. Split aSoS, add some of aFfC to the second part. There is just so much to manage. I'm intrigued to see what they are thinking right now.

The Red Wedding could either be a gripping season finale or a jaw dropping season premiere. It happens around the 4/5 mark of the novel, right?

Then they could bring the timeline more inline with Feast/Dance.

Just a thought, not some well thought out theory based on micro analysing the books and or breaking down all the chapters. ;)

The Red Wedding could either be a gripping season finale or a jaw dropping season premiere. It happens around the 4/5 mark of the novel, right?

More like 2/3 I think? They could certainly end a season at that place. And still have a lot more to cover next season (if we get that far). I think it works better as a last episode than a first episode. Everything builds up to that climax. And too many people would become aware of what was going to happen if they stopped just before. (Waiting 9 months would be too long). The only problem with the ending is that it may be too downbeat.

Archived