Pilot content: what scenes?

Piper

The pilot looks quiet good except the part where Jaime reveals his motives for killing Aerys to Ned. I don't mind Jaime being in the background for a while.
The fact that he didn't turn out to be a complete ass later in the story, was one of those great surprises in the books. For me, that was a mayor attraction to the books. I hope that effect doesn't get lost now.
Still very excited though!

The pilot script looks quiet good except the part where Jaime reveals his motives for killing Aerys to Ned. I don't mind Jaime being in the background for a while.
The fact that he didn't turn out to be a complete ass later in the story, was one of those great surprises in the books. For me, that was a mayor attraction to the books. I hope that effect doesn't get lost now.
Still very excited though!

I'm assuming the reference to avenging Brandon and Rickard is not Jaime actually making a serious claim but rather putting it in sarcastically to needle Ned. In the books, Catelyn takes a jab at Jaime when she thinks he's trying to claim he killed Aerys to avenge the Starks, and he denies that.

[quote name='Tywin's bastard' post='1622093' date='Dec 17 2008, 02.47']According to the summary of the script the Others make their appearance, we just don't get to see them actually fight. As for the theory itself you might be correct but it's pretty much the way they have to go about it to be in line with the storyline of how magic is reborn so that's imo a matter of whether GRRM's story holds up for TV or not.[/quote]
And if the temperature suddenly drop drastically before the Others show up, it will further help putting this in the "fantasy" category.

[quote name='Ran' post='1622049' date='Dec 16 2008, 20.11']My only concern is the fact that it doesn't sound like fantasy very much, you know? I can see some particularly ignorant viewers, seeing a lack of magic or monsters, thinking it's some sort of historical thing.[/quote]

I get the feeling they are trying to make the focus "historical" as opposed to "fantasy" at least at the start - probably hoping for wider appeal. Hook the Ignorami on the plot and then slowly incorporate the magic down the line.

so EXCITED right now!!!!

The opening credits sound perfect; the handling of the Others is balanced enough that it doesnt scream fantasy but retains something of the supernatural; the Lannister intros are spot on, though if a scene needs to be cut they could start there.

This must be made.

no fight for waymar?
we don't get to hear his "For Robert!!" line then?
or Will thinking "He was a boy no longer, but a man of the night's watch"?
(though it would be awkward for Will to say that out loud on on film :) )
those are 2 good lines imo.

Agree with Ran about having little fantasy in there.
but they can make it up with the visuals.. Winterfell, the godswood, the great crypts, sudden cold temperature brought by others, the direwolves.. etc.

we don't get to see the wall in the pilot right??

Re: Jaime/Ned conversation... I hope that Jaime only gives the standard superficial reasons for killing Arys (for Robert's throne, for Brandon and Rickard, blah blah blah), and not his TRUE reasons. Surely, that is the case.

The script sounds great! Mostly the kind of changes I would expect, to show more of what happens "off screen" in the books, like Jon Arryn's death. Contrary to popular opinion, flashbacks are NOT 100% necessary. We don't HAVE to see the Trident battle, or the Greyjoy rebellion. Part of the whole deal is seeing Rhaegar's rise and fall through the different prospectives. I'm not saying there won't be some flashbacks, or at least a Tower of Joy dream sequence, I'm just saying they don't have to be there.

It is odd that Joffrey isn't aged, and that he would try and throw down with now-17-year-old-Robb on the training yard. Then again, remember he's described as being tall for his age already. And a little shit. And full of himself.

I'm very excited to see this.

RE: Flashbacks
I hope they have little or none in the series. The books show most of the backstory through dialog, so should the show. Though I think that when they reach the Trident while heading south, it would be a good place for one. "Here is where Robert won his throne." Quiet scene of river fades to river full of bodies and blood.

And maybe the Tower of Joy through Ned's hallucinations near the end.

But otherwise, there's nothing that needs to be shown.

Ok, I lied. I'd love to see Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne at some point with Ned riding up the hall on his horse. That long uncomfortable silence before Jaime climbs down. But not in the pilot.

Ages sounds right. They can comfortably cast 18 year olds for the Jon and Rob (17) and Dany (15). Sansa and Arya are older so their actions later seem more realistic. Bran always seemed right as a kid, though the actor's age will be a problem a few years down the line.

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1622671' date='Dec 17 2008, 15.01']Ok, I lied. I'd love to see Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne at some point with Ned riding up the hall on his horse. That long uncomfortable silence before Jaime climbs down. But not in the pilot.[/quote]
Yup. That would be beyond awesome. I'm not a fan of flashbacks but there are certain ones that one can't argue about. Much of Jaime's backstory is way too interesting to leave at merely dialogue.

[quote]Well, he could shout it and they cut away before swords are crossed. Have hope![/quote]
Makes sense.

[quote]Re: Jaime/Ned conversation... I hope that Jaime only gives the standard superficial reasons for killing Arys (for Robert's throne, for Brandon and Rickard, blah blah blah), and not his TRUE reasons. Surely, that is the case.[/quote]
Yup. I agree with that too. We have to see that there is a needle between the 2.

[quote]It is odd that Joffrey isn't aged, and that he would try and throw down with now-17-year-old-Robb on the training yard. Then again, remember he's described as being tall for his age already. And a little shit. And full of himself.[/quote]

I think it works--shows right from the start that Joffrey's full of himself. Would also generate some sympathy for Robb--having to put up with a teeny-bopper acting like he can smack him down.

Wow, this pilot is great!

[quote name='Nathanael' post='1623345' date='Dec 17 2008, 15.46']I imagine the Other fight with Waymar is not only cut for reason of bringing people in to the show, but also budgetary reasons.[/quote]

It does eliminate the need for 3 versions of Royce's sword, the special effects needed to show the Other's sword in action, and a stunt man that would need to be paid to have a sword "shatter" right in front of his face.

[quote name='cronos619' post='1623541' date='Dec 17 2008, 18.24']It does eliminate the need for 3 versions of Royce's sword, the special effects needed to show the Other's sword in action, and a stunt man that would need to be paid to have a sword "shatter" right in front of his face.[/quote]

definately, limited Others and direwolves will help conserve for that initial investment in case it doesnt get pickd up. most expensive part will prob be the helicopter shot intro (which may not shoot til after pilot itself)

That synopsis sounds awesome.

Its interesting that the scenes they've added that weren't in the books seem Lannister related. Jaime, Tyrion, Cersei getting some screen time early. While that does sound pretty sweet (the Lannister boys are amusing characters), it does sort of undermine the part of the books where the Starks are clearly the main characters early on that you root for, then there's a slow switch to seeing things more and more from the Lannister side of things.

I have faith, though. That sounded like a pretty amazing episode to watch, I hope it films well (which it should).

[quote name='feyrband' post='1623841' date='Dec 17 2008, 23.15']definately, limited Others and direwolves will help conserve for that initial investment in case it doesnt get pickd up. most expensive part will prob be the helicopter shot intro (which may not shoot til after pilot itself)[/quote]

yeah, I would think they would leave the intro as an animatic, since it won't air unless the show is picked up, and if its picked up you have enough budget to do the longer sweeping helicopter shot.

Archived