A-Listers

Wargonaut

I had mentioned a while back that it would be a great move for the series if they could get A-List actors for the parts of Ned and Robert. For the reasons stated below:

SPOILER: AGoT
Because these characters only last one season max, except for flashbacks (which could possibly be filmed in advance), it could be a great promotional move. These characters have such an impact initially, that having A-list talent for these two roles the first season could be huge. And cheap, if they are only in the first season. It wouldn't take much time, and not as much money for one season. I think it would be worth it. Nicole Kidman for Cersei couldn't work in the event there is more than one season and so many other important characters, but Robert and Ned are different.

It would be great for posters and trailers of the series if people that have not been exposed to the series saw big names attached to the project. I think the story will speak for itself, but it could gain more viewers up front. Though I know everyone has their opinions, examples could be the oft-mentioned Russell Crowe for Ned and Gerard Butler for Robert (heavily in make up and possibly a fat suit). Those are just examples. Plug in whomever you want. The point is that a big name, and someone who is possibly a big fan of series, could work wonders from a promotional standpoint.

Any thoughts that this could work?

[quote name='Wargonaut' post='1587271' date='Nov 12 2008, 21.07']I had mentioned a while back that it would be a great move for the series if they could get A-List actors for the parts of Ned and Robert. For the reasons stated below:

SPOILER: AGoT
Because these characters only last one season max, except for flashbacks (which could possibly be filmed in advance), it could be a great promotional move. These characters have such an impact initially, that having A-list talent for these two roles the first season could be huge. And cheap, if they are only in the first season. It wouldn't take much time, and not as much money for one season. I think it would be worth it. Nicole Kidman for Cersei couldn't work in the event there is more than one season and so many other important characters, but Robert and Ned are different.

It would be great for posters and trailers of the series if people that have not been exposed to the series saw big names attached to the project. I think the story will speak for itself, but it could gain more viewers up front. Though I know everyone has their opinions, examples could be the oft-mentioned Russell Crowe for Ned and Gerard Butler for Robert (heavily in make up and possibly a fat suit). Those are just examples. Plug in whomever you want. The point is that a big name, and someone who is possibly a big fan of series, could work wonders from a promotional standpoint.

Any thoughts that this could work?[/quote]

I had the same thought, which is why I think The Rock could seriously be considered for Khal Drogo. However, the actors I seriously think would be best for Ned and Robert aren't A-listers.

It's a waste of time. A-list actors have never done HBO series, and they won't start with this one. It goes without saying that having A-list actors in major roles in a series would be a benefit, but it certainly would not be cheap. The budget would already be stretched by the scope of the story. There won't be much left over for expensive name actors. HBO plays smart by casting affordable and talented character actors like James Gandolfini and Ian McShane to anchor their shows. Don't expect high-profile roles that only last a season, like Wild Bill Hickock in Deadwood, to be played by actors any higher than Keith Carradine.

[quote name='freakinmayhew' post='1588044' date='Nov 13 2008, 14.55']Remember that Forest Whitaker followed up his Oscar win by appearing on ER and The Shield. A lot of actors will take a pay cut to work with a good script.[/quote]
With all due respect to the man (and I am very much a fan), Forest Whitaker is not an A-lister, despite the Oscar win. He doesn't command anywhere near the salary of a Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson. Talent does not correlate 1:1 with status. That is unfortunate for many ridiculously talented performers who unfairly toil in relative obscurity whilst one-note hacks elevate themselves to superstardom, but it is fortunate for the rest of us as it means that we can still find talent even in shows that can't afford the A-list.

This series (assuming it is picked up) is going to have to spend an inordinate amount of its budget on its general production in order to ensure it avoids a cheesy look (that's still the knock on fantasy - you either spend a [i]ton[/i] of money or you get something that looks like it was thrown together in someone's basement). Garnering an overpaid star would seem wasteful to me.

Plus Glenn Close (who also appeared on The Shield) accepted the leading role on FX's Damages, a brand new series, and not a well known and critically acclaimed show such as The Shield (it can be argued that Close is not an A-list actress today, or not as much as she was in the 90-ies, but I think she is still a big name). And just look at the second season cast of the show: William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Academy Award-winning/nominee actors (plus Timothy Olyphant, who is at the doorstep of being an A-list actor, with blockbuster title roles, coming back to cable drama once again after Deadwood). I guess what I'm trying to say is, I see a growing trend of big names, A-list(ish) actors and actresses making tours to television dramas, mostly on cable.

ETA: okay, I guess I use the "A-list" definition a little loosely :).

I definitely don't want to see A-list actors in the series. There are more than enough good actors out there that aren't that well known and I feel that those have an easier time really becoming their character than the actors you've seen many times before. I would prefer it like the cast of Rome, which imo was very well acted.

Count me in the crowd that doesn't want to see an A-lister. I think an actor that transcends the series would hurt the overall affect. It is afterall a game of thrones, who is important today, is not necessarily important tomorrow.

[quote name='jaeherys' post='1588722' date='Nov 14 2008, 03.22']Count me in the crowd that doesn't want to see an A-lister. I think an actor that transcends the series would hurt the overall affect. It is afterall a game of thrones, who is important today, is not necessarily important tomorrow.[/quote]

I think those are very good points. Plus in the case of Ned and Robert....

SPOILER: Just in case...
Some people might watch the series for those particular actors and ditch the show when they're killed. It's the nature of TV watchers to be fickle and since there isn't the same amount of dedication to watching a show as there is to reading a book, it's easier to change the channel than to put the book down.

[quote name='RobbJKJ' post='1588739' date='Nov 14 2008, 01.40']I think those are very good points. Plus in the case of Ned and Robert....[/quote]
That's a good point, too. My father almost quit watching the first season of Deadwood after a certain episode.

Archived