Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

[quote name='Wargonaut' post='1598461' date='Nov 24 2008, 02.40']On that same note, who's to say that it isn't common in this world to wait until 17, 18 or even 20 to wed or even betroth the children? Maybe it's not they way they did things in the books, but I think this could be an easy truth to present on the TV series.[/quote]
I know where you are coming from but I doubt there is any need to age Sansa that much. And might as well keep things somewhat realistic and similar to our own medieval times.

[quote name='Aoede' post='1598457' date='Nov 23 2008, 21.32']Excuse me?

[i]Geek[/i]: (from Wiktionary) An expert in a technical field, particularly to do with computers; A person intensely interested in a particular field or hobby, generally at the expense of broader social interaction. Example: [i]Most famous actors are really theater [b]geeks[/b] at heart.[/i]

You WANT geeks - people who are intensely interested in the story they're telling, in the medium they're using to tell it. I will assume that what you wrote was a product of ignorance and not of the intolerant 20th-century mindset that still proliferates today.[/quote]

You're playing a semantic game, here. What Erzulie clearly meant was geek in the sense of a [i]nerd[/i], or, to put it less kindly, a dork. I tend to agree.

What if "purists" had been used instead of geek/nerd/dork? Hopefully, Benioff and Weiss will give ear to all advisors, including this board. But if the show is made FOR and/or by purists, I'm pretty sure it will fail. I will like it, probably a lot, but as a TV adaptation with hopes of a 2nd season, it would probably fail.

Mr. Martin has said the pilot script is faithful, and that's good enough for me. But I suspect there are some here who will be disappointed.

[quote name='Morrigan' post='1598844' date='Nov 24 2008, 11.47']You're playing a semantic game, here. What Erzulie clearly meant was geek in the sense of a [i]nerd[/i], or, to put it less kindly, a dork. I tend to agree.[/quote]

Allow me to clarify: while LARPing and Star Wars reenactments in no way qualify someone to play any part in the production of a TV series, [i]neither do they disqualify that person[/i]. Furthermore:

"[i]nerd[/i]: [n] (slang, derogatory) A person who, although having good technical or scientific skills, is introspective and generally introverted.

[i]dork[/i]: [n] (US, pejorative, slang) A quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Often confused with nerd and geek, but does not imply the same intelligence level."

I'm not picking obscure definitions here - these are the commonest definitions, these are the slang definitions. Kindly examine them. Since when do introspection or introversion disqualify someone as part of a production? Or look at "dork". "Quirky" is value-neutral and "socially inept" is irrelevant, while "silly and/or stupid" disqualifies ANYONE, not just people who participate in activities labeled "geeky". Considering the demographics of most Internet fora, "out of touch with contemporary trends" is hardly likely.

In summation: if you wish to imply that Erzulie spoke in full knowledge of what she was saying, then her statement was both blinkered and reactionary.

[quote name='Frank Stark' post='1598983' date='Nov 24 2008, 12.50']What if "purists" had been used instead of geek/nerd/dork? Hopefully, Benioff and Weiss will give ear to all advisors, including this board. But if the show is made FOR and/or by purists, I'm pretty sure it will fail. I will like it, probably a lot, but as a TV adaptation with hopes of a 2nd season, it would probably fail.

Mr. Martin has said the pilot script is faithful, and that's good enough for me. But I suspect there are some here who will be disappointed.[/quote]
Which is why this board isn't making the adaptation - Benioff, Weiss, and their associates will. Not because the board is populated with "geeks", "nerds", and "dorks", but because most of us (if not all) lack the experience and technical expertise that they have.

...and of course, there will always be people who are disappointed with a work. The greats couldn't escape it, could they? :)

Ease up, homeboy/girl.

I don't know you, you don't know me.

Geek, nerd, dork, call it what you like. If someone does LARP or SW re-enactments, I think it's safe to say the majority of their suggestions for various aspects of a TV series will be bogus. We're talking about the kind of people who are somehow stuck in a pre-pubescent emotional state of mind, who are not necessarily particularly gifted within any field, but typically spend a lot of their time on archetypal escapist activities. Often hygienically challenged. Poor eye-hand coordination. Penchant for junk food and comic books. Little to no experience of interacting with the opposite sex. Will not be well versed in literature, philosophy or the arts. Antiquated gender views to be expected. Likely to have seen the light and bought a black leather coat after having watched the Matrix, symbolising their vain hope that their feeling of displacement and incompatibility with the world they find themselves locked in a seemingly neverending struggle with is a result of it being naught but an illusion. These are the people whose voices I would not like to be heard. Whose prayers I would not like to see answered.

One example is the amount of people who want epic/symphonic/viking/what-have-you metal music to score the series. This is a truly horrible idea, and betrays cognitive issues and a lack of ability to abstract on the part of the advocate.

I admit I am amused by your idea of an "intolerant 20th century mindset (that proliferates, no less!)" . Are you trying to insinuate that geeks, as a sort of socially incompetent ethnic minority, have been stigmatised and persecuted throughout the last hundred years?

So straighten up, breathe in, chill out and get down.

You dig?

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1599483' date='Nov 24 2008, 21.08']Ease up, homeboy/girl.[/quote]
Aoede: (Boetian) muse of Greek mythology; feminine. Also transliterated as "Aoide".

[quote]I don't know you, you don't know me.[/quote]
Good. No personal issues to cloud judgment.

[quote]Geek, nerd, dork, call it what you like. If someone does LARP or SW re-enactments, I think it's safe to say the majority of their suggestions for various aspects of a TV series will be bogus. We're talking about the kind of people who are somehow stuck in a pre-pubescent emotional state of mind, who are not necessarily particularly gifted within any field, but typically spend a lot of their time on archetypal escapist activities. Often hygienically challenged. Poor eye-hand coordination. Penchant for junk food and comic books. Little to no experience of interacting with the opposite sex. Will not be well versed in literature, philosophy or the arts. Antiquated gender views to be expected. Likely to have seen the light and bought a black leather coat after having watched the Matrix, symbolising their vain hope that their feeling of displacement and incompatibility with the world they find themselves locked in a seemingly neverending struggle with is a result of it being naught but an illusion. These are the people whose voices I would not like to be heard. Whose prayers I would not like to see answered.[/quote]

1. What you have just constructed a beautiful portrait of the stereotype. It is also a complete and utter strawman. While I don't doubt that there exist some people who perfectly exemplify what you've described, they don't seem to be swarming this board.
2. "Archetypal escapist activities": the arts, in a word.
3. Having an interest in LARPing, re-enactments, etc, does not imply ignorance, bad hygiene, or a "pre-pubescent emotional state of mind." One of my good friends is a great D&D enthusiast, loves to read SF&F, doesn't have a girlfriend, and goes to a science/tech school; he is also the president of the philosophy club and one of the smartest and most courteous people that I know. Another is deeply involved in RenFaire and (text) RPing, and loves to read fantasy; [i]she[/i] is a straight-A student and the mother of her circle of friends.

[quote]One example is the amount of people who want epic/symphonic/viking/what-have-you metal music to score the series. This is a truly horrible idea, and betrays cognitive issues and a lack of ability to abstract on the part of the advocate.[/quote]
I checked through the music thread [i]just to be sure[/i] and found a grand total two (2) posters who actually were in favor of epic/symphonic/viking/whatever metal for the score. Even the metal fans - and I'll add myself to that number, though I said nothing of it in the thread - have utterly rejected the idea of using epic/etc metal for ASoIaF.

[quote]I admit I am amused by your idea of an "intolerant 20th century mindset (that proliferates, no less!)" . Are you trying to insinuate that geeks, as a sort of socially incompetent ethnic minority, have been stigmatised and persecuted throughout the last hundred years?[/quote]
"Ethnic" is incorrect in this context. I do not [i]insinuate[/i] that those who had wholeheartedly thrown themselves into esoteric pursuits, even as young people, were stigmatized and persecuted; I say it outright. Perhaps it's different in Norway?

Welcome to the board Dave and Dan!!

Hope you guys give a role to Avery Clark,our resident actor on the board here, and fan of the series.

Please send a script to Benicio Del Toro, for the role of the Red Viper, maybe he is a fan of the series, and will do it for less then he would one of his films. I would think any actor would love to play some of these well written characters.

Best of luck what every you guys decide. I write to HBO periodically, reminding them of the fan base out here, that wants to see this done.

Not sure if they read it, or take it in any consideration or not though. Edited by Maxxy

A little late to the party, but I also wanted to extend congratulations on the pilot order and on your willingness to connect with the fans. Both of you guys are excellent writers and I have faith you will do a great job with this adaptation.

I also had a few questions I am hoping you may have time to answer.

1) Any tentative shooting dates scheduled?
2) Any more info on the specific shooting location?

And lastly, is there anything we as fans can do to show HBO our interest in this project? I'm sure there are enough fans of Martin's that if we joined together to make our voices heard we might help sway HBO to ordering a full series.

Thanks in advance for any info you may be willing to give us! Edited by Halfhand

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their casting suggestions and a special thanks to our excellent hosts here on the board for their synopses, which save us a great deal of time. It is encouraging to see that our actor/character ideas often match those of the board, and it is helpful to learn about a whole slew of actors we weren't familiar with before.

The age of the actors is a significant issue; trust us that this is something we've discussed with George since our earliest conversations (well over two years ago). None of the characters will be radically aged.

The location has not yet been finalized, but we're getting close. With any luck, George will be giving you an answer to that question before the end of the year, or very early in 2009.

Shooting dates have also not been determined yet. We're impatient, too, but as you can imagine this is an elaborate production, with large sets to be built, a huge cast to be filled, etc.

For those who would like to send resumes, videos, etc.: we hope to have a casting director in place within the next month. When we do, we'll let you know his/her name and where materials should be sent.

One last thing: our focus at the moment is on casting the pilot. So we're only worried about characters who appear in the pilot. Just so you know the pilot parameters, here's the first line of dialogue:

"We should start back."

And here's the last line:

"The things I do for love."

Sound familiar?

We think you're going to like it...

D&D

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1607351' date='Dec 3 2008, 13.19']"The things I do for love."

Sound familiar?

We think you're going to like it...

D&D[/quote]

Gone for the cliffhanger ending ol'chestnut................Brilliant! :P

This awesome news. Thank you guys so much for giving us updates and offering to make available the proper channels for sending our resumes. It is also great to see that where many of us on this board thought the pilot should end lines up perfectly with what you guys are doing. I have said it before and I will say it again, I don't think this adaptation could be in any better hands.