Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

• 3 weeks later...

British actors certainly eliminate quite a few of our casting suggestions, but I'm confident that you will find great actors for the parts.

It's always been notable that the UK has produced such a fine resource of really good actors, by this I mean non A list.

I know it's not 100% true, and times have changed over the many decades for American actors, not there most of the old A list was bad , in fact most were extraordinary.

I think of HBO's ROME, I must admit, shame on me, that I did not recognize a single name, tho Ciarán Hinds should have rung a bell. Kevin McKidd, Ray Stevenson , James Purefoy and Polly Walker had me saying "were have these actors been".

Same was true of Ian McShane in Deadwood , looking back he had been in films I had seen but did not notice.

Now days it's true of a host of Australian actors. Not to slight fine actors from all over the world , of which there seems a greater abundance than ever in my estimation.

The UK and the old common wealth are unique, methinks it may be due to Shakespeare.

(We fans of GOT do keep in mind that Peter Dinklage is American.)

Edited by boojam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see Brian Blessed as Tormund Giantsbane. He's got the right mix of power and jollity, I reckon. About the right age too? Probably not. Tormund's probably younger, but he's got a grey beard IIRC, and Blessed's pretty youthful for a guy in his mid-seventies. Either way, Tormund's a superb character, and Brian Blessed is the only man to realise him on screen - provided he doesn't kick the bucket mid-filming.

Edited by Patsak

Maggie Smith - She was briliant in Gosford Park.

This. I've envisaged her since seeing her in Downton Abbey. It's a similar sort of role. You can totally see her asking if they'll be playing the rains of castamere again - it's been an hour and she's forgotten how it goes.

Just a suggestion to the honorable Sers that produce the TV adaptation of the books - if there is a great cheering crowd needed at the end of Season 7/8, to invite some folks from westeros.org :cool4: And a cameo by GRRM would be nice :devil:

This. I've envisaged her since seeing her in Downton Abbey. It's a similar sort of role. You can totally see her asking if they'll be playing the rains of castamere again - it's been an hour and she's forgotten how it goes.

Yeah totally. She'd say it without the slightest hint of malice too but deep down you can hear the violent undercurrent of absolute contempt.

D&D, I don't know if you still check this thread, but if you do:

It will be a crime, a crime, if Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from Lost) is not cast as Mance Rayder!

I usually agree with you haha but not on this one, James Purefoy is Mance Rayder, it is known :D anyway, Desmond was my favorite character from Lost and Henry is an awesome actor, I would love to have him playing a badass character for a change, maybe a Greyjoy.

D&D, I don't know if you still check this thread, but if you do:

It will be a crime, a crime, if Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond from Lost) is not cast as Mance Rayder!

I usually agree with you haha but not on this one, James Purefoy is Mance Rayder, it is known :D anyway, Desmond was my favorite character from Lost and Henry is an awesome actor, I would love to have him playing a badass character for a change, maybe a Greyjoy.

Robert Carlyle MUST be the Damphair Greyjoy, however if he is not, then Henry Ian Cusick must be the Damphair. It bugs me how Aeron is always portrayed as old in fanart when he is actually the youngest of the Greyjoy brothers, so he can't be THAT old. Creepy, weird, and fanatical. YES, but not old. I think Henry Ian Cusick would rock that role, though. If not, then I would think he can be a good Mance, too, but I do think this Purefoy guy has got the right look for Mance. *Sigh* Rome is still on my "too watch" list. I will watch it someday, I swear.

Robert Carlyle MUST be the Damphair Greyjoy, however if he is not, then Henry Ian Cusick must be the Damphair. It bugs me how Aeron is always portrayed as old in fanart when he is actually the youngest of the Greyjoy brothers, so he can't be THAT old. Creepy, weird, and fanatical. YES, but not old. I think Henry Ian Cusick would rock that role, though. If not, then I would think he can be a good Mance, too, but I do think this Purefoy guy has got the right look for Mance. *Sigh* Rome is still on my "too watch" list. I will watch it someday, I swear.

Robert Carlyle used to be my Davos. :3 HIC is great & all but I agree, he'd be better as the Damphair ..

A suggestion for Mance Rayder (that is not James Purefoy): Craig Parker!

Hmm...I can see it, but in my head HIC just IS Mance :) and I'd love for him to be an ex "brother" of the nights watch, so he can say "brother" some more, i.e. the Halfhand was my enemy, but he was once my "brother". Geddit? :D

Robert Carlyle used to be my Davos. :3 HIC is great & all but I agree, he'd be better as the Damphair ..

A suggestion for Mance Rayder (that is not James Purefoy): Craig Parker!

No way! He was my Davos too...bloody love Robert Carlyle.

Craig Parker...the most popular member of the LOTR cast! Nah, I like him, never really got why they hate him so much over on TOR.net. He also works for Mance, especially in this http://jmsstyxnyes.t...g/craigrahl.jpg

Edited by HyacinthGirl

For me, the Damphair is (for some reason) Sam Neill...sorry...I know he's the youngest but he feels grumpy and old.

I also intend to watch Rome...