Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

Am I mad from waiting? Certainly not! It's normal talking to yourself isn't it?

But seriously! We've been waiting for too long already! Info or die! WRAAURGH!

No fair!!! *hops from foot to foot*

Sort of like having to pee badly but being stuck on broken-down subway train.

Edit:

Like having to pee on a long road trip with friends, but you don't want to be the one to make everyone stop again just for you.

*does the waiting shimmy*

Heh, you had the same reaction I did.

Edited by Brude

The little good news is out.

As per the Hollywood Reporter, Peter Dinklage has signed on to play Tyrion Lannister. :cheers:

We also have the director for the pilot in Tom McCarthy who directed The Visitor and Dinklage's The Station Agent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...95a5a9e328518de

Tom McCarthy has come aboard to direct HBO's fantasy pilot "Game of Thrones," on which the star of his first feature, "The Station Agent's" Peter Dinklage, has been tapped for a key role.

Based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling "Songs of Fire and Ice" novels, "Thrones" is described as an epic struggle for power set in a vast and violent fantasy kingdom. Dinklage will play Tyrion, the Queen's brother who is treated as an outsier because of his size.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss penned the pilot script and are exec producing. HBO Entertainment president-turned-producer Carolyn Strauss, Management 360's Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and Martin serve as co-exec producers, and Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger are producers.

"Thrones" is slated to film in the third quarter in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in what the country's First Minister Peter Robinson hails as "the first TV production of such vast size and scale that has been filmed in Northern Ireland."

Dinklage, repped by manager David Ginsberg and attorney Karl Austen, is filming two features: the indie "Pete Smalls Is Dead," which he also co-produces, and Screen Gems/Sidney Kimmel's remake of "Death at a Funeral."

"Thrones" marks the first TV directorial gig for the Gersh-repped McCarthy, an actor who wrote and directed two features, 2003's "Station Agent" and 2007's "The Visitor," both of which landed him Indie Spirit Awards. On the acting side, McCarthy next appears in "2012."

Edited by Philly Homer

Tom McCarthy - interesting choice...not an action director but then there isn't much action in the pilot - just a little practice field stuff between children. He's a very strong dramatic director (and a pretty damn good actor - he's great in Season 5 of The Wire). Choosing a director with strong drama cred. is a good move, I think, and shows where the emphasis maybe will be here. The first second I read this I was like, 'huh?' The more and more I think about it, the more it makes a lot of sense to me.

Future episodes that are more action oriented might warrant a different type of director, but for heavy dramatic stuff - this is good.

A friend of mine, Maggie Moore, had a major supporting role in McCarthy's "The Visitor," but she got cut out. It wasn't her performance, it's just her sub-plot apparently didn't work in the overall story. Oh well. She's a very good actor, though. Played Paul Giamatti's ex-wife in "American Splendor."

Of course I'm happy about Dinklage - maybe the obvious choice but also probably the best choice. Been a fan of his since I first saw "Living in Oblivion" way back when that first came out.

:cheers:

This has got to be a promising sign ... that the very first cast member to be announced and confirmed is almost everyone's dream casting for the role. Fingers crossed that the rest of the casting is of similar quality.

I don't really know any of Tom McCarthy's work, but if it's right that he's a strong dramatic director, then that's perfect for the series, really. The last thing I would want is for them to pick someone with a strong action background, and turn AGOT into more of a cheesy sword'n'sorcery piece. Drama and character interaction is what the series is all about, and that's what makes it different from most fantasy that has been shown on tv previously.

Exciting news. Dinklage is the obvious pick, sure, but he seems the best pick from current known actors who could fill the role. Very exciting news!

Nice. McCarthy is a great choice. The Station Agent and the Visitor are great movies. The latter got Richard Jenkins an Oscar nomination this year.

I'm surprised that people picked who would play Tyrion. Good job all. :P

Good 'little' news to wake up to. Dinklage as Tyrion was pretty much a given, still a great choice. Not familiar with Tom McCarthy's directing so I'm looking forward to getting acquianted with his work.

Great to see things are moving along nicely.

We also got a little bad news here as it seems Treme has been picked up.

This won't affect AGoT at all. Completely different kinds of shows, completely different levels of budget. They are playing in different leagues and to a degree for a different audience. Also, this show is set to start airing at the end of this year. AGoT won't start airing until, at best, the end of next year probably. They won't be in contention for the same kind of production slot.

I'm very happy about this because David Simon's last show, "The Wire" was the best TV show ever. I'm looking forward to "Treme" almost as much as I am to AGoT.