Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

This won't affect AGoT at all. Completely different kinds of shows, completely different levels of budget. They are playing in different leagues and to a degree for a different audience. Also, this show is set to start airing at the end of this year. AGoT won't start airing until, at best, the end of next year probably. They won't be in contention for the same kind of production slot.

I'm very happy about this because David Simon's last show, "The Wire" was the best TV show ever. I'm looking forward to "Treme" almost as much as I am to AGoT.

Hm. Okay, then. I guess i just thought every drama picked up is bad for thrones. But maybe Boardwalk Empire is the only show really threatening Game of thrones. Though that show seems almost guaranteed to get picked up...

Investing in a quality actor like Dinklage, and obtaining the services of a quality dramatic director like McCarthy are pretty good signs for the future.

What I really want to know is if they have optioned the 2 for a full series should the pilot be picked up for at least one season. I guess that "little" news won't be forthcoming from anyone any time soon.

I can't imagine McCarthy signing on for his televisual debut if he thought the screenplay was a dog.

What I really want to know is if they have optioned the 2 for a full series should the pilot be picked up for at least one season.

They must have an option on Dinklage anyhow. I can't see why the actor would be interested in the role just based on the pilot. Things only get really interesting for the character later on. :)

What I really want to know is if they have optioned the 2 for a full series should the pilot be picked up for at least one season. I guess that "little" news won't be forthcoming from anyone any time soon.

Dinklage's contract will commit him to the full series, no doubt. I told a friend of mine to get his agent to get him an audition for this show (he's Irish, has done a lot of theater and such in both Dublin and I think Belfast, and was a soap opera star there too), but he can't do anything right now because he got a pilot with Walter Hill and has to wait until the option on that runs out before committing to anything else. I am assuming Dinklage will be locked in to some degree in a similar way.

TV directors do not generally do whole series but usually a few episodes. I'm guessing he will do two to four episodes of the first season and maybe come back for later seasons if it works out and he wants to. Shows like this like to get guest directors too, sometimes. You could see some pretty big names doing other episodes here and there. Sometimes a show will settle on one or two main directors who will do the bulk of the series but that isn't always the case. Joe Chapelle and Ernest Dickerson both did 6 episodes of "The Wire" (Dickerson was Spike Lee's long-time Cinematographer, BTW). Clark Johnson (also a fine actor) and Edward Bianchi each did 4. Bianchi also did 8 episodes of "Deadwood," 7 of Showtime's "Brotherhood," while Johnson did a bunch of episodes of "The Shield" and "Homicide" on top of a lot of acting at the same time. Check the lists of directors for other HBO shows and you'll some names reoccuring again and again between them.

I can't imagine McCarthy signing on for his televisual debut if he thought the screenplay was a dog.

Probably true. He's won many awards for his own screenwriting for both Station Agent and The Visitor.

Edited by Brude

Great news. Things are starting to move, and apparently in a fine direction. I assume we will be having cast anouncements periodically from now on.

I haven't seen anything from McCarthy, but since he seems to be primarily an actor, do you guys think that he may be casted with some small role in the series? I don't know a thing about tv business, but I guess it would make sense to use him as a recurring character at least for the episodes he may direct.

Great news. Things are starting to move, and apparently in a fine direction. I assume we will be having cast anouncements periodically from now on.

I haven't seen anything from McCarthy, but since he seems to be primarily an actor, do you guys think that he may be casted with some small role in the series? I don't know a thing about tv business, but I guess it would make sense to use him as a recurring character at least for the episodes he may direct.

McCarthy was very good in the last season of The Wire. However, he hasn't appeared in anything he's directed. Combining the two (acting and directing) can be pretty tricky. Some actors can do it like Mel Gibson and Eddie Olmos, but most seem to prefer to separate the two jobs.

It may be that I stayed up to 4am to watch The Station Agent (excellent) and I'm starting to hallucinate, but did anyone else think it odd that GRRM used the word 'bean' three times at the start of his blog entry?

Now that would be a triumph of awesome casting :)

While casting Dinklage is good news, I'm far more excited about McCarthy being brought on. This could be a potentially fantastic choice. Anyone who hasn't seen either The Station Agent or The Visitor should go out and see these movies now. Some people might be put off by the slowness of these two films, but both screenplays were character-driven and McCarthy (and the actors) did an excellent job keeping that part of the films true.

While ASOIAF is nowhere near these two relatively small stories in scale or setting, what they share with GRRM's work are: character study, moral ambiguity, and complexity of circumstances. I think McCarthy will do well with the pilot.

Edited by nazfyratu

did anyone else think it odd that GRRM used the word 'bean' three times at the start of his blog entry?

Yeah, that was weird. If it also turns out to be a hint, I will be pretty excited about that casting as well, but I'll start worrying that B&W are listening to us too much. :)

It may be that I stayed up to 4am to watch The Station Agent (excellent) and I'm starting to hallucinate, but did anyone else think it odd that GRRM used the word 'bean' three times at the start of his blog entry?

Now that would be a triumph of awesome casting :)

Oh god, you mean GRRM is starting to using foreshadowing in his announcements now?

That's going to send my brain into spasms.

(Not that this would not be awesome should it be true. Sean Bean for Ned would be utterly fantastic. Just need Gillian Anderson for Catelyn, and I'll explode with happiness)

Great news. IMO the only way they could top it is if they got Tricia Helfer for Cersei.

Or as Catelyn, which after further review, I think she'd be even better for.

The Dinklage news is fucking fantastic... and even better is the directorial news. I'm a huge fan of The Wire.

This is one happy little Yea.

Oh god, you mean GRRM is starting to using foreshadowing in his announcements now?

That's going to send my brain into spasms.

(Not that this would not be awesome should it be true. Sean Bean for Ned would be utterly fantastic. Just need Gillian Anderson for Catelyn, and I'll explode with happiness)

'The Beans Are Spilled

Well, the first two beans, anyway. There will be many more beans to come.'

He also said earlier he was with-holding information. I think this is more than enough reason to speculate :P

Edited by Ser_not_appearing_yet

Sean Bean wasn't my favourite choice for Ned, but he's still a good choice and having that name would give enormous cred to the show, so I hope it's true.

Great news. IMO the only way they could top it is if they got Tricia Helfer for Cersei.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH DIE IN A FIRE!

*brain asplodes*