Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

This isn't so much a casting suggestion but an observation on the accents with which the existing cast speak.

Who decides which characters speak with either northern English or southern English accents? Why do some Starks speak with northern accents while others speak with southern ones? Also, the Baratheons and Tarlys are from the south, so why do Robert and Stannis Baratheon and Samwell Tarly have northern accents? By contrast, the Boltons are a northern family, yet the actors playing Roose and Ramsay speak with southern accents. It isn't annoying or distracting, just odd.

Having seen some of the actors in question being interviewed, I know that some put on a different accent to their own for the show. Whose decision is it to have them speak with an accent?

Edited by storm.131

Wow, this is so cool! Just wanted to say thanks to David and Dan for all the nods to book readers in the show and for putting together what I can call an AMAZING cast and crew and making this series truly special. My deepest appreciation is extended to you.

It's a thrill to be able to nudge my favourite actors in your direction, Benioff and Weiss. :cheers:

Doran Martell = Ben Kingsley. No other!

Wyman Manderly = Steve Pemberton (from what I've seen in 'Happy Valley')

Hello everyone--

We just wanted to say 'Hi,' and thank you guys for everything: your love of the amazing world George has created, your enthusiasm for the HBO adaptation -- and of course, your casting expertise. It's hardly been two days since George, Elio and Linda put the call out, and you've already made dozens of great suggestions, the vast majority of which are new to us. It's crucial that we get the casting right, and you're all providing invaluable help in that area.

We'll be neck deep in pre-production soon, so apologies in advance if we're unable to respond to every individual question or suggestion. But we'll be checking in as often as possible, and when decisions are finally made, we'll let you know as soon as the ink is dry. And when things are a bit further down the road with production, we'll do a Westeros email interview or online chat. Who knows, maybe George can even drop in and join us, Old Gods willing.

Until then, we look forward to all your thoughts -- this is a labor of love for us, and it's an honor to have so many Maesters watching over us and making sure we get it right.

Valar Morghulis,

David and Dan ("D.B.")

Well, clearly this post was nonsense. Pfft.

They made it clear in an interview somewhere that they won't be visiting this forum again because it's full of "fundamentalists," and I don't blame them.

I guessed that might be the case. A combination of self-pitying whiny bastards and illogical ignorant attacks can get pretty tiring to wade through. It's a real shame that total morons have shut down the link.

Have you got a link for the article?

I guessed that might be the case. A combination of self-pitying whiny bastards and illogical ignorant attacks can get pretty tiring to wade through. It's a real shame that total morons have shut down the link.

Have you got a link for the article?

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/06/david-benioff-dan-weiss-pact-read-online-comments/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/04/game-of-thrones-ignore-internet/

Edited by It'sAlwaysWinterInScotland

This isn't so much a casting suggestion but an observation on the accents with which the existing cast speak.

Who decides which characters speak with either northern English or southern English accents? Why do some Starks speak with northern accents while others speak with southern ones? Also, the Baratheons and Tarlys are from the south, so why do Robert and Stannis Baratheon and Samwell Tarly have northern accents? By contrast, the Boltons are a northern family, yet the actors playing Roose and Ramsay speak with southern accents. It isn't annoying or distracting, just odd.

Having seen some of the actors in question being interviewed, I know that some put on a different accent to their own for the show. Whose decision is it to have them speak with an accent?

I've wondered the same thing myself re accents,in particular Jon Snows classic Yorkshire accent,I've heard Kit Harrington speak and he's very well spoken,his accent mirrors Neds(shaun Bean)very well and I guess it's done to show how much like his father he is,can't help wondering though if when he becomes a Targ if he will lose the Northern accent and become well spoken to accentuate the change so to speak,wouldn't surprise if this came to be?