Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1607351' date='Dec 3 2008, 14.19']It is encouraging to see that our actor/character ideas often match those of the board, and it is helpful to learn about a whole slew of actors we weren't familiar with before.

(...)

And here's the last line:

"The things I do for love."[/quote]

Things just keep getting better, and better!! Edited by Gregor

Sounds very, very good!!

So, we should limit the casting for the pilot to the charachters appearing in the prologue + the fisrt 8 chapters. This limits it to (in speaking order in the books):

1-Gared
2-Waymar Royce
3-Will
4-Eddard Stark
5-Jon Snow
6-Robb Stark
7-Bran Stark
8-Theon Greyjoy
9-Jory Cassel
10-Hullen
11-Harwin
12-Catelyn Tully
13-Viserys Targaryen
14-Dany Targaryen
15-Magister Illyrio
16-Robert Baratheon
17-Benjen Stark
18-Tyrion Lannister
19-Maester Luwin
20-Septa Mordane
21-Arya Stark
22-Sansa Stark
23-Jeyne Poole
24-Beth Cassel
25-Rodrik Cassel
26-Joffrey Baratheon
27-Cersei Lannister
28-Jaime Lannister

Also, there're significant carachters that appear in the chapters without lines:

29-Rickon Stark
30-Sandor Clegane
31-Myrcella Baratheon
32-Tommen Baratheon
33-Jorah Mormont
34-Khal Drogo

Finnaly, if you wanted to show flashbacks, you might cast:

35-Rhaegar Targaryen
36-Lyanna Stark Edited by The hairy bear

[quote]So, we should limit the casting for the pilot to the charachters appearing in the prologue + the fisrt 8 chapters. This limits it to (in speaking order in the books):[/quote]
One potential problem with your list, we don't know if we see the Daenerys stuff in the pilot, but a good list none the less, thanks.

Actors used in the pilot may not make it to an eventual series. Also-the possibility exists to use new actors from one season to the next. I don't really like it-but it can happen and it can work-esp if the aging is several years. You have this a lot with flashbacks already.

David & Dan,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. You guys seriously are awesome for interacting with the fans in this way. Great to know the opening and closing scenes for the pilot! I guess the only question left is, for casting purposes of course, is Dany going to be in the pilot?

Thanks again for the info, and check out [url="http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/"]my blog[/url] when you get a chance! Edited by Halfhand

Wow this is pretty exciting!!

Just a suggestion for Dan and Dave...

I do tech support for an online casting database that has locations in LA,NY,MIAMI, and SF.

Since I heard the project was greenlighted for a pilot I've been sort of amusing myself doing searches of the database for actors that meet the description of various characters in the book.

I realize you guys will be doing most of the shooting in the UK and may wish to do most of your casting for actors in that region, but maybe you would find the site a useful resource.

Anyway the site is called castingnetworks.com. It's a closed database that only provides access to professional casting directors. I don't want to bore everyone on the forum with details but if you think using the site would be helpful I can provide them if you guys are interested.

Either way good luck with the casting, and thanks for taking the input of the boards into account, it really means alot to those of us who love these books so much!

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1607351' date='Dec 3 2008, 05.19']"The things I do for love."[/quote]
...and so the rest of the world became obsessed with asoiaf.... whenever I recommend the books I always tell the reader to get to that page (83?) and then I know they'll be hooked. Great way to end the pilot!!