Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1626489' date='Dec 20 2008, 05.27']You should check out the Terry Goodkind threads sometime, though. You smell like lemming.[/quote]

Threads on here? I can't decide whether I want people to like him or hate him (like me), because if they like him I can dismantle them (nothing brings me more pleasure than destroying Goodkinds fans) or if they hate him we can all agree.

He is the biggest sellout hack ever. His writing is terrible, his characters are terrible, his picture on the back of the book of himself is unbearable. His popularity has set High Fantasy's image back 20 years and his new T.V. show has set television back 30 (not to mention disgracing Hercules and Xena) and his haircut has set writers back 100.

Well, if you want to you can start from [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=2714&hl=goodkind"]here[/url] and work your way through all 30 Goodkind threads.

Or you could read [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=3332&hl=goodkind"]this[/url].

Or just choose life, kill some unarmed peace protesters, kick a girl in the jaw, have sex with something that has a barbed phallus and enjoy it, force people to eat their testicles and pick arrows out of the air.

/end digression

Why do people think a look is all somebody needs for a part? This Benioff thing is a perfect example. He looks the part, sure, but Sandor will need a ****load of makeup any way it goes and the only real requirements for looks - big guy with glowering looks - really isn't that difficult to find. Hell, half the men from Rome could fill this out. Everything else fills out after. But the Hound is so much more than that. What about the rasping voice? The bark of a laugh? How he can be so cynical and angry and psychotic and flat out ugly yet draw a person to him. Meaning he needs someone who can, you know, act.

Now look at David Benioff's list of acting roles.

Just because someone has never been in a movie doesn't make them a good actor. By your line of logic, all I have to do is say, "Jean Claude Van Damme is a good actor, just look at his resume"...yeah fucking right. There are about a billion actors I hope never to see on the silver screen again. Benioff has written plenty and been around hollywood a long time. He is no stranger to cameras and his wife is a professional (not one of the above mentioned billion whom I despise) actress.

All I am saying is this: If he can act well, he already has the look, and his loyalty to the show, or understanding of the character will never be in question. How perfect it would be if every actor could know the character they were playing so well.

[quote name='Fireball07' post='1610673' date='Dec 5 2008, 14.44']This is the greatest thing that has happened to me since I bought those books. Unfortunately, I'm not American...so I'll have to wait until the series comes over here like other HBO stuff.

Still, I think it is fantastic that D & D come on here to this board to see the views of the fans. I think that shows that they are dedicated to make it as well as they can.

Good luck! :cheers:[/quote]
I would guess that since this is an HBO/BBC collaboration that there would be joint release. Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the pilot if only American viewers got to see it. The more people that see it the better the chance it gets picked up.

[quote name=' David and Dan']Hello everyone:

We just wanted to respond to a few things you guys had brought up.

Accents: We'll probably be shooting in the UK, so [u][b]most of the cast will probably be UK natives[/b][/u].[/quote]
Tricia Helfer the perfect Cercei, dashed, lost.
The tears I cried when I read that.
So many
For so long
And so hot
Oh how they burned running down my face
I have been [i]crowned[/i].

Naa, in all seriousness the UK has some of the best and most skilled actors around. Rome is a good example of that.
I think overall its a great business decision to cast and shoot the pilot there.

But I did cry, (just a little on the inside). Edited by antisocial

[quote name='Mike the Magnar' post='1635395' date='Jan 1 2009, 04.25']Just because someone has never been in a movie doesn't make them a good actor. By your line of logic, all I have to do is say, "Jean Claude Van Damme is a good actor, just look at his resume"...yeah fucking right. There are about a billion actors I hope never to see on the silver screen again. Benioff has written plenty and been around hollywood a long time. He is no stranger to cameras and his wife is a professional (not one of the above mentioned billion whom I despise) actress.

All I am saying is this: If he can act well, he already has the look, and his loyalty to the show, or understanding of the character will never be in question. How perfect it would be if every actor could know the character they were playing so well.[/quote]

That's some very reverse logic. So because you don't like some actors that eliminates the fact that the guy has no resume for what's supposed to be a fairly complicated role?

Look is nothing when you're pouring makeup on somebody anyway. If he's good, fine, great, let's have him. But I think we should all well know that we can find somebody better to play the Hound than someone without any experience acting.

It would be very hard to be a head writer and an actor on a show of this scale. It's not like a sit-com built around a comedian where that kind of thing does happen, I'd be stunned if Benioff had any plans to be in his own show, but who knows, anything is possible. There are writers out there who also act and some of them are very good (Gore Vidal comes to mind). Many come out of a more complete theater and/or film background (writing, directing, producing, acting), so they have long been both actors and writers, as well as maybe directors and producers - or started doing one thing and segued into the others.

I am just saying what if. He is already deeply vested in the show. I wish he would just jump on here for two seconds and say, "I can, in no way, act," or "I am a great actor I just haven't tried it yet and was waiting for this to jump in." Then everyone can stop voting for him in the polls, and I can stop defending my great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Mike the Magnar' post='1636324' date='Jan 2 2009, 13.54']I am just saying what if. He is already deeply vested in the show. I wish he would just jump on here for two seconds and say, "I can, in no way, act," or "I am a great actor I just haven't tried it yet and was waiting for this to jump in." Then everyone can stop voting for him in the polls, and I can stop defending my great idea.[/quote]

I can't act. Trust me on this. The Hound is one of my favorite characters and I'm flattered by the suggestion, but we'll get someone way more talented than I am to play the part.

D

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1645381' date='Jan 12 2009, 19.57'][quote name='Mike the Magnar' post='1636324' date='Jan 3 2009, 10.54']
I am just saying what if. He is already deeply vested in the show. I wish he would just jump on here for two seconds and say, "I can, in no way, act," or "I am a great actor I just haven't tried it yet and was waiting for this to jump in." Then everyone can stop voting for him in the polls, and I can stop defending my great idea.[/quote]
I can't act. Trust me on this. The Hound is one of my favorite characters and I'm flattered by the suggestion, but we'll get someone way more talented than I am to play the part.

D
[/quote]

:lmao: And here I was thinking it would be some major announcement. Edited by The Anti-Targ

You and me both Anti Targ...you and me both...(pouts)

Was discussing the show with my husband (who stuck these books in my hand and demanded I read them) and he seems to be intersted...it only took weeks of me playing with lists and Smouldering to post a poll to get him to even take a gander at our lists. Now he keeps asking me questions like I'm the expert...at least I'm better informed than I was a month ago...

D&D, how is the show coming? Any news? (I mean other than you can't act, but hey, neither can most of the pretty faces out there on the big screens.)

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1645381' date='Jan 12 2009, 01.57']I can't act. Trust me on this. The Hound is one of my favorite characters and I'm flattered by the suggestion, but we'll get someone way more talented than I am to play the part.

D[/quote]

Just bear with me here...picture this name in your mind: Ralph Fiennes. There are few actors that I've seen who can bring more intensity to their roles and while hes best known as a villain he has been brilliant in pretty much everything hes ever done.

I mean, you've got an extra $5-10 million laying around, right? :(

[quote name='Ran' post='1647677' date='Jan 13 2009, 17.14']Big fan of Ralph here, but he is not, in any way, shape, or form, the Hound.

Davos, maybe.[/quote]

If short cameos would work better for him, I could see him as a very sinister Roose Bolton

[quote name='cronos619' post='1648672' date='Jan 14 2009, 12.26']If short cameos would work better for him, I could see him as a very sinister Roose Bolton[/quote]

As much as I would love to see Ralph have a bigger role - I agree that he would make a great Roose.
However, his talents are not limited to evil: his various roles also show a range from love sick and heartbroken to strong and compelling.

He's wrong for the Hound - Davos would be acceptable.
But the fangirl in me would love him more as Ned - would also be a big name to pull in non-fan viewership (though there might be some fallout based on his storyline).

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1645381' date='Jan 11 2009, 22.57']I can't act. Trust me on this. The Hound is one of my favorite characters and I'm flattered by the suggestion, but we'll get someone way more talented than I am to play the part.

D[/quote]
Haha, nice. I was excited to hear you guys were doing this, I loved your outline/treatment for Ender's Game though I never saw the script, it was already better than Scott's scripts.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1648985' date='Jan 14 2009, 15.41']Haha, nice. I was excited to hear you guys were doing this, I loved your outline/treatment for Ender's Game though I never saw the script, it was already better than Scott's scripts.[/quote]
[b]My family has a very cool medieval castle in County Limerick in Ireland. It is on family farmland and dates to the 13th century. It would be a great exterior for Moat Cailin.[/b][i][/i][color="#FF0000"][/color]