Music

I think that rock/metal is just an insane choice for ASOIAF. Every single video of reenactment battles on youtube has viking metal playing and it's just dreadful. Lame, dull, stupid, not fitting at all.

For this series, I think something close to real medieval music would be fitting. (or folk music) Kingdom of Heaven had a few tracks like that, nice female singing, traditional instruments, not often heard melodies...For big battles I'd obviously like an epic orchestra, but it's hard to get a composer who can make these unique and different from every other "epic orchestra" you hear in the movies. For this I loved the Goldsmith's 13th Warrior. (which got so badly ripped off in Kingdom of HEaven. To this day I don't get this travesty.)

[quote name='phoenix_rising' post='1589662' date='Nov 15 2008, 00.16']No shit shaft.......i can visualize some killer scenes to that ear candy....[/quote]
I've never heard the phrase "No shit shaft before". :lol: That song I posted would be really good for a scene where some people are preparing for a last stand and are trying to psyche themselves up for it. Mabye one of the battles with the Wildlings would be fitting or the Battle for King's Landing.

[quote name='Merlkir' post='1589929' date='Nov 15 2008, 11.33']I think that rock/metal is just an insane choice for ASOIAF. Every single video of reenactment battles on youtube has viking metal playing and it's just dreadful. Lame, dull, stupid, not fitting at all.[/quote]
:agree: Some Metal songs do fit the books very nicely, but putting guitars over a medieval-type setting would ruin the atmosphere. Just leave the Metal for while your reading it in your bedroom folks.

[quote name='Aoede' post='1590162' date='Nov 15 2008, 11.09'][i]Somebody has to compose "The Rains of Castamere"[/i].[/quote]

I was actually just about to post the same idea. How could you possibly have the Red Wedding without the Rains of Castamere? Most importantly, the audience *has* to be familiar with it by the time of the Red Wedding... so when they hear the song start up, they *know* something bad is happening before they consciously realize it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4Yij-W-ac"]Brian Tyler[/url] of Children of Dune.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOg1UcfDz6I"]Randy Edelman[/url] of Last of the Mohicans.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85xz6NRwxAQ"]Hans Zimmer[/url] of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

I've always listened to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-0eIgey-s"]Garmarna[/url] when reading ASOIAF, and they've usually got a very medieval feel, but they're quite good at [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHm2TllWSKc"]blending in modern instruments[/url] as well. Imo, anything with that sort of feel ought to suit the show pretty well.

Garmarna rocks, I have two of their albums -- but it's too modern sounding. Not very fitting.

As a huge fan of folk/viking metal, I agree it would be ridiculous and I wouldn't want that as the score. It's never going to happen anyway, thankfully.

I think they should get Jeff Beal to do the oping sound track he is the same guy that did rome and carnivale

that way when i watch the show i can get that worm safe feeling that a good show is about to start like when i watched rome and carivale

I'd have to agree with the person who said that he'd prefer no music at all, except in scenes where there is actual music in the background (and a main-theme while the credits roll).
Somehow I always find background music cheesy in TV-Series, and as an HBO-Junky I'm well aware that almost (or even all?) HBO-Dramas have no music - in the way described. Hell, even most other modern TV-Dramas don't really rely on music, and I always cringe when music is used in BSG, so cheesy (although BSG's music is already very cautious in tone and in how its used)...

Please, no background-music!

In my opinion it adds considerable weight to the drama if there is no music.

While it's true that The Wire (or Tell Me You Love Me) doesn't have any score except the main title, the end title, and where there is actual background music, most of the other HBO shows (Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome, Six Feet Under, True Blood) [i]do[/i] have music, even if they're barely noticeable because of their low-key, minimalist style. If the music will follow this path, that's absolutely fine with me: it worked for all the other HBO shows before, it will work for [i]Game of Thrones[/i] as well. Real medieval music would be great, too, and I second the idea and necessity of composing the "Rains of Castamer".

And - as a foot-note - I just can't wait for the main title. HBO always does them incredibly, music and visual either.

I can't think of anything worse than battle/viking/doom (or whatever you cats call it today) metal being used. It would look like some teenage, youtube wank fantasy. This series is aiming for credibility, something sadly lacking in the battle metal subgenre. I am very much for the series following the same musical template as the Wire. All authentic Medieval music as well, anything contemporary would just be embarrassing.

[quote name='Teabag' post='1591948' date='Nov 17 2008, 16.54']I can't think of anything worse than battle/viking/doom (or whatever you cats call it today) metal being used.[/quote]

Well, I can. How about dance, disco, hip/hop, r&b, pop punk, modern rock, reggae, or just about any kind of AIDS-infected, radio-friendly aural filth? :P

No viking metal, for the sake of all sentient beigns with good taste, please!
I don't have anything against that type of music, but it has no place on a TV show with sophisticated story and setting like ASoIaF.

Purely and authentic medieval music... I don't know... I don't have many experience with it, to be honest, but I suspect that it would sound too alien, strange and unmelodic to the modern casual viewer. Sure, it will be needed more or less for songs from the setting, like "The Rains of Castamere" and "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", but not for the main background soundtrack, IMO.

I vote for medieval, pagan-sounding music a la Loreena McKennit. Martin's is a world so finely balanced between civilazation and savagery--you'll need some primal, tribal sounding stuff for the wild men, but more courtly, classical fare for King's Landing. I'd take my cues from Zimmer, Shore, and the composers for Rome and the Tudors. Howard Shore's LOTR work would be especailly important to look at because he designed the soundscape for each culture. Rohan had its own theme, Lothlorien had its own theme, Minas Tirith had its own theme, Saruman's orcs had a different theme from Sauron's... I think, given all the diverse and striking cultures in Westeros, developing a unique theme or sound for each one wouldn't be a bad way to go.

[quote name='hyacine_martell' post='1592791' date='Nov 18 2008, 12.37']I vote for medieval, pagan-sounding music a la Loreena McKennit.[/quote]
I endorse this post.
[quote]Martin's is a world so finely balanced between civilazation and savagery--you'll need some primal, tribal sounding stuff for the wild men, but more courtly, classical fare for King's Landing. I'd take my cues from Zimmer, Shore, and the composers for Rome and the Tudors. Howard Shore's LOTR work would be especailly important to look at because he designed the soundscape for each culture. Rohan had its own theme, Lothlorien had its own theme, Minas Tirith had its own theme, Saruman's orcs had a different theme from Sauron's... I think, given all the diverse and striking cultures in Westeros, developing a unique theme or sound for each one wouldn't be a bad way to go.[/quote]
Agreed and I'd also add something about the Conan soundtrack too, by the late Basil Poledouris. It's got the bombastic choirs, but also more subtle themes that were still incredibly memorable.

Archived